Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,813 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I are from the Bay Area and we are looking to purchase a home around the Phoenix area. We are newly weds and are looking to start a new journey in AZ. Hubby has a job lined up in Mesa and I will stay at home temporarily unless I find a job before we relocate in January 2016.

We have looked at houses in Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Queen Creek and San Tan Valley couple of times when we flew in to AZ. So far, it looks like we are leaning towards getting a home in Queen Creek or San Tan Valley because we can get a nicer home with a pool/community pool for a much better price compare to the other cities.

Anyway, to Queen Creek and San Tan Valley residents, which communities do you live in and what do you like and dislike about it? Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by g33kers; 08-18-2015 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:57 PM

200 posts, read 413,479 times
What is the price range you are looking at?
That will help everyone give more feedback.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:10 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
I don't live in San Tan Valley or Queen Creek, but every time I have been visiting that way, I think to myself I would not enjoy commuting from there every day. It is pretty remote in commute time standards, IMO, that is why the cost of housing is so reasonable. I get cards in my mailbox all the time advertising new developments for sale, cheap. Nice places, just too far out there for me.

It is really going to depend on where exactly in Mesa your husband will be working. The entire valley is huge and Mesa takes up quite a big chunk of it all by itself.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM

200 posts, read 413,479 times
Location of work will be the key, as mesa and qc run together and qc spans both maricopa and pinal counties.
I live in the Pecans off of Chandler Heights and Ellsworth, with a qc address.
My neighbor has a shop on Ellsworth and Germann, a couple of miles away, and it's in Mesa.
Budget and location would really help us give the op a better idea.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone for replying. Our budget is 170k-230k max for a house with pool/community pool. He'll be working by Falcon Field Airport. We are still looking at houses in Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler but haven't found much that fit that our criteria and our budget. Or if there were any, they go pending pretty fast. Queen Creek and San Tan valley given us a lot of options. At first I am worried about the distance but my hubby said he's willing to commute if we find the right house for us.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 AM

I worked with someone who lived in San Tan Valley and had a 50 mile one way commute every day. He said he did it because they found an amazing house, but after awhile driving 500 miles a week really got to him, not to mention he was filling his gas tank twice a week and wear and tear on his car. (that's 26,000 miles of driving a year, just to and from work!)

Not saying your husband won't mind a commute, but keep in mind that until you do it day in and day out for the long term, you may not realize how bad it is! I remember going to a job interview when I first moved here and was told that they were glad I lived near the job location; the previous person was quitting because of the commute. They thought they could do it, until they did it for awhile, and left for a job closer to home. When people on here say you will want to live somewhat close to work, they mean it

Hopefully in your situation it can work.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:21 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I worked with someone who lived in San Tan Valley and had a 50 mile one way commute every day. He said he did it because they found an amazing house, but after awhile driving 500 miles a week really got to him, not to mention he was filling his gas tank twice a week and wear and tear on his car. (that's 26,000 miles of driving a year, just to and from work!)

Not saying your husband won't mind a commute, but keep in mind that until you do it day in and day out for the long term, you may not realize how bad it is! I remember going to a job interview when I first moved here and was told that they were glad I lived near the job location; the previous person was quitting because of the commute. They thought they could do it, until they did it for awhile, and left for a job closer to home. When people on here say you will want to live somewhat close to work, they mean it

Hopefully in your situation it can work.
They said just above that the commute will be to Falcon Field, it will likely be nowhere near 50 miles. It could easily be over 30 miles if they go to one of the distant communities in San Tan. Queen Creek can be relatively close as it starts right across the street from Power Ranch in Gilbert.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
They said just above that the commute will be to Falcon Field, it will likely be nowhere near 50 miles. It could easily be over 30 miles if they go to one of the distant communities in San Tan. Queen Creek can be relatively close as it starts right across the street from Power Ranch in Gilbert.

Of course the 50 mile commute was an extreme case, but the point was he said the same thing, they found an awesome house and he was fine with a commute to make the house work, then realized it was really an issue. You don't know if you will be able to stand a long commute until you do it for awhile.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:21 PM

Thanks ElleTea and asufan. We are going in AZ again this September to see which houses are available for us. We live in the Bay Area (California) right now and deal with traffic and long commute (about 45-1hr and 15). It is stop and go and very exhausting! We do prefer to have less commute but if we don't find anything good within our budget in Mesa, Chandler and Gilbert, we're willing to commute from Queen Creek and San Tan.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:51 PM

157 posts, read 356,517 times
I live in QC off of Ocotillo and Crismon and it takes me 30 minutes to drive to my pool route around Falcon Field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area