Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:04 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,456,142 times

Advertisements

I see that the cities Google Fiber is currently available in are Austin, Kansas City and Provo, UT. By any chance does anyone here know how long it took for those cities to actually get Google Fiber after being determined a "Potential Fiber City"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 12:52 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Even if they expand here, there plans were to do only Scottsdale and Tempe and probably only part of that. It will be long, long time, if ever before most of us see Google fiber. Better to sign a long term contract with Cox and get a discount and rate lock.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:56 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,456,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Even if they expand here, there plans were to do only Scottsdale and Tempe and probably only part of that. It will be long, long time, if ever before most of us see Google fiber. Better to sign a long term contract with Cox and get a discount and rate lock.
Agree regarding getting the discount from Cox in the mean time, but I really think that when/if we get Google Fiber, the downtown Phoenix area will also be included.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:00 PM

975 posts, read 1,406,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm not sure that they would do Scottsdale or Paradise Valley. Their roll out in Kansas City does not include a very Scottsdale like town (Leawood) due to concerns about where the lines would go (Google prefers to put up aerial lines whenever possible as they are cheaper). I'd say that most of Phoenix and Tempe would start first (and then potentially Glendale, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert).

Old 02-07-2015, 10:13 PM

I'm not sure what all the excitement is about anyway. Cox is already offering gigablast in parts of Phoenix and Phoenix will be one of the prime markets to get the service expanded. Like it or not, this is Cox country .

Old 02-08-2015, 12:14 AM

241 posts, read 387,122 times
the excitement is competition....Cox can't even compete with true fiber runs to each home. I have fiber in my place in Portland and pay $44/month - crushes Comcast and the other locals like CenturyLink

Old 02-08-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
the excitement is competition....Cox can't even compete with true fiber runs to each home. I have fiber in my place in Portland and pay $44/month - crushes Comcast and the other locals like CenturyLink
FTTH is what Gigablast is and what is being done in parts of Phoenix. When it was announced they said it would go in newly built areas first. I suppose that is because the fiber can be put in with the other utilities. CenturyLink is also in Vegas with gigabit over telco so I suppose Phx will be getting that eventually, as well. Google is just another player and, while competition is good, I don't look to any price advantages beyond the usual customer predation efforts.

Cox Goes Gaga Over Gigabit | Light Reading

Cox has been spending what must be a fortune on non-stop ads for Gigablast. I don't know whether it is local or not. But, I am ready to scream at my TV over them. They show various edible objects supposedly 3D printed to a background of "Food, glorious food" , that song from Oliver. The ad is OK, but that damn song sticks in your head and you go around with it for half the day.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,428,689 times
You guys REALLY need to rethink Google Fiber if it does in fact show up one day. Google data mines more information than actual data mining companies and the NSA combined! Do you REALLY want to send ALL of your traffic over something their controlling? With the biggest difference being that Google is very open about selling your life away for a price!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
You guys REALLY need to rethink Google Fiber if it does in fact show up one day. Google data mines more information than actual data mining companies and the NSA combined! Do you REALLY want to send ALL of your traffic over something their controlling? With the biggest difference being that Google is very open about selling your life away for a price!
Good point. Years ago I wondered why a search engine outfit was putting so much money into mapping. Now they follow your every inquiry and every place you go or have been. So they morphed into an an advertising outfit and they are putting billions into muscling into carrying network traffic.

I read today that the new Samsung smart TVs can listen to conversations in your viewing room!

Old 02-09-2015, 01:48 PM

24,512 posts, read 26,059,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
^^ This is why I now use this site as a search engine as they do not track you or so they say.

https://duckduckgo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area