Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:12 PM

39,204 posts, read 51,651,858 times

Advertisements

The Gilbert school board is at it again. As if driving off teachers by the dozen was not enough, they are now requiring that remaining teachers tear pages out of books that offend the religious beliefs of the school board. The Gilbert school district is on a downhill slide. Take note, people considering Gilbert as a place to raise a family.

Gilbert school board votes to remove pages from text

My favorite line from the story:

Board President Stacy Burk said some parents had said they were ready to help remove or redact the pages in the textbook.

LOL, meet up at the Temple.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:41 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,214,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Gilbert school board is at it again. As if driving off teachers by the dozen was not enough, they are now requiring that remaining teachers tear pages out of books that offend the religious beliefs of the school board. The Gilbert school district is on a downhill slide. Take note, people considering Gilbert as a place to raise a family.

Board President Stacy Burk said some parents had said they were ready to help remove or redact the pages in the textbook.

Welcome to the Dark Ages, Gilbert! I guess when an organization fighting against equal marriage calls, the Gilbert school board has to oblige.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:59 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,770,695 times
Gilbert, where church and state come together.

What a joke. I wouldn't live there for free.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:52 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,343,485 times
And I will remind people once again, you can live in Gilbert and not be subjected to the Gilbert district. Most of the desirable upscale part of Gilbert actually is in the Chandler Unified District and some of the more Eastern (newer) areas are in the Higley District. Just try to stay out of the Gilbert District

Old 10-29-2014, 04:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,805,052 times
Wow..

And you just know the parties involved get all weepy when the "star spangled banner" is played..

Freedum, yeah!

Old 10-29-2014, 04:58 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,805,052 times
Quote:

I wonder how many Gilbert voters chose Mrs Burk because they recognized the name from "somewhere"..

Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 PM

639 posts, read 981,429 times
I honestly become more and more enraged every time something like this comes up. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how this happens in this day and age. We live in CUSD, but the sheer and utter ignorance that is being spouted by these board members is astounding. And - BTW - the whole leaving school every day for a class period so the kids can go RELIGIOUS EDUCATION on school time also irritates me. Sorry, do all the religious stuff on your own time. Leave it out of the schools. Schools are there to teach FACTS not what your religious views dictate. You want a religious education? Send them to parochial school. Otherwise, go back to FACTS.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:34 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,214,109 times
Is this our modern-day version of "live and let live", Arizona? Where are the libertarians when you need them?

Old 10-29-2014, 07:12 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,202,017 times
Quote:

What an appalling thing for a school to do! Cringe-worthy. By the way, the organization involved in this moronic action is NOT LDS, so no need for the usual snide comments. The founders were conservative Protestant clergy, none of them Mormon. Frequently Asked Questions - Alliance Defending Freedom

Quote:
Recognizing the need for a strong, coordinated legal defense against growing attacks on religious freedom, more than 30 prominent Christian leaders launched Alliance Defending Freedom in 1994. Five exceptional men took a leading role in forming this legal ministry, and set the high standard of excellence and good stewardship that we continue to abide by today. They are the late Dr. Bill Bright, founder, Campus Crusade for Christ (now Cru); the late Larry Burkett, co-founder, Crown Financial Ministries; Dr. James C. Dobson, founder and chairman emeritus, Focus on the Family, and founder, Family Talk; the late Dr. D. James Kennedy, former senior pastor, Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church; and the late Marlin Maddoux, former host, “Point of View” radio program.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:00 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,714,109 times
That's one of the prices you have to pay for living in Arizona, I guess. From time to time, you have to face the fact that idiots are running the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area