Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,899 times

Advertisements

I have lost my job and I paid for next month rent and I have 1 more month left and I can not pay it so i put my 30 day notice in a month later and they are charging me 2 month rent and the $350 disscount I got. I am a single mom with no family here. Is there a way to get them to lower the prices? I was going to deposit some money I was saving for a down payment for a house that i cant get anymore and a friend stole that money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,719,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyRohner View Post
I have lost my job and I paid for next month rent and I have 1 more month left and I can not pay it so i put my 30 day notice in a month later and they are charging me 2 month rent and the $350 disscount I got. I am a single mom with no family here. Is there a way to get them to lower the prices? I was going to deposit some money I was saving for a down payment for a house that i cant get anymore and a friend stole that money.
They can claim any amount owed that they want (and even smear your credit) until a judge tells them different. Its pretty standard for leases to include a "reasonable" penalty for early termination, including recovery of any discount given at signing, in the event of an early termination. Best bet is to try to work something out with the landlord if you value your credit.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,771,306 times
Here's a great website Terminate A Lease | Arizona Renter Rights | Landlord Tenant | Arizona Apartment Ratings it gives the laws of what tenants/landlords, by law, can and cannot do. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Contact them, they may or may not be able to help you. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 PM

216 posts, read 606,803 times
For one, I'd recommend contacting the police concerning your stolen money.

Our early termination fee here is only slightly less than our rent. If you only have one month left, and they want to charge you a month, a termination fee, and charge you for the discount they applied at the beginning... well, I wouldn't do that. You could probably just sit it out without paying and have them kick you out for less money at this point.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM
AZM

95 posts, read 300,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X View Post
You could probably just sit it out without paying and have them kick you out for less money at this point.
Loser advice! Best bet would be to work with them and withdrawl your 30 day notice because you still have to live somewhere. To move you will have to come up with deposits to include utilities so it's going to cost you more then staying where you're at. Look for assistance for help paying for your rent, lots of programs available, that's the question you should be asking. Also check with your out of state family for a loan, your landlord only owes you a quality home to rent, not a handout. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: