Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 PM

6 posts, read 14,568 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My fiance and I (both 27 years old) are looking to relocate from Milwaukee, WI to the Phoenix, AZ area. I am an RN and he has his MBA and currently works in finance. After doing a lot of research on this forum and the web in general, it seems Tempe may be a good fit for us. We currently live in a walkable area with many bars, restaurants and shopping close by. We have a small dog and like to spend time in park areas as well. We do not have any kids at this point (although it is in the near future) and we enjoy spending time with friends, live music, etc.

I am wondering if I am correct in thinking Tempe sounds like a good fit, or if Scottsdale would be better? Any opinions or additional suggestions on areas would be wonderful. I know many people have asked similar questions, but I am also looking for specific apartment complex suggestions as well. We are hoping to keep the budget around $1000-$1200, hopefully 2 bedrooms, with some amenities such as a pool, workout room and parking. I should add that at this point, we are not tied to anything specific, so any suggestions, even to areas I did not reference are welcome.

As far as layout - if one has a job for example, in Tempe, is it realistic to live in Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc. and commute in -- how are the commute times? (I can only assume they are rather heavy. I currently have a 30 min commute for about 10 miles)

I know some people seem to get annoyed by these types of posts on this forum, but we really are coming in blind, and truly appreciate any information you can offer about a move like this!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Either Tempe or Scottsdale is a nice choice, you may get a bit more for your money in Tempe than in the walkable parts of Scottsdale. Neither of the two may be as walkable as the neighborhood where you are now. If you work in Tempe and live in Scottsdale, for instance, the commute is generally a reverse one, except that there is traffic into and out of the ASU area of Tempe when the University is in session.

I don't have any specific apartment complex suggestions for you, though there are other threads here that may be of help.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,429,584 times
Any speculation about where to live in the valley, if you've never actually been here, is useless. Your perspective will totally change after you've visited; your opinion on where to live can (and probably will) change after you've explored here a bit. The Phoenix metro area is vast. Who knows -- after you visit you may not even like Phoenix. Desert life isn't for everyone.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,169 times
Tempe is a good choice but keep in mind that the nightlife parts of Tempe (bars, walkable areas, etc) are in the college town part of Tempe. Being 27 you guys might be over the college atmosphere and not wanna be surrounded by a bunch of undergrads such as myself. Then again no matter your age Mill Ave in Tempe is always a good time on the weekend (everyone has their preference).

Scottsdale is really more up you guy's alley. Lots of young professionals your age and a great selection of restaurants, bars, and shopping. However that of course comes with a more expensive price tag. Old Town Scottsdale is very walkable and you guys will really enjoy it. You can find something in your budget if you really do your homework but you might be more comfortable financially in Tempe. You can get a decent two bedroom in Tempe for $700-$800 a month and you can always drive to Scottsdale for the nightlife. Oh and don't worry all of the apartment complexes here have pools. Pretty much all of them are under management companies and offer workout rooms and assigned parking spots generally for only one car and the other vehicle has to park wherever they can find an uncovered spot(unless you pay for 2 spots).

Commutes are long here and most people try to live no more than 30 min from work. However 45 min-1 hour commutes are not uncommon at all. In a nutshell live as close to work as possible. Traffic here sucks like any large city and you can count on at least 1 accident on the freeway everyday making traffic just that much worse. If your job was in Tempe for instance yes you can live in Phoenix or Scottsdale depending on where at in Phoenix and Scottsdale. Both cities stretch for miles and miles north to south. If you worked in Tempe it would be wiser to live on that side of town like Chandler,Ahwatukee(Phoenix),western areas of Gilbert and Mesa, or Tempe itself.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopmke View Post
Hi All,

My fiance and I (both 27 years old) are looking to relocate from Milwaukee, WI to the Phoenix, AZ area. I am an RN and he has his MBA and currently works in finance. After doing a lot of research on this forum and the web in general, it seems Tempe may be a good fit for us. We currently live in a walkable area with many bars, restaurants and shopping close by. We have a small dog and like to spend time in park areas as well. We do not have any kids at this point (although it is in the near future) and we enjoy spending time with friends, live music, etc.

I am wondering if I am correct in thinking Tempe sounds like a good fit, or if Scottsdale would be better? Any opinions or additional suggestions on areas would be wonderful. I know many people have asked similar questions, but I am also looking for specific apartment complex suggestions as well. We are hoping to keep the budget around $1000-$1200, hopefully 2 bedrooms, with some amenities such as a pool, workout room and parking. I should add that at this point, we are not tied to anything specific, so any suggestions, even to areas I did not reference are welcome.

As far as layout - if one has a job for example, in Tempe, is it realistic to live in Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc. and commute in -- how are the commute times? (I can only assume they are rather heavy. I currently have a 30 min commute for about 10 miles)

I know some people seem to get annoyed by these types of posts on this forum, but we really are coming in blind, and truly appreciate any information you can offer about a move like this!

Thanks!
Tempe and Scottsdale have walkable areas with nightlife and good shopping but Tempe tends to cater to a younger crowd than Scottsdale.

Scottsdale has the better shopping though.

I get disagreement on this but my perspective is oldtown Scottsdale is overpriced and attracts a superficial kind of crowd, I would stick with the Mill district of Tempe mainly for that reason.

You could search the east Phoenix-Tempe area along Washington Street for some apartments or condominiums that would fit your needs, it's right on the light rail line and a reasonably close distance to central Phoenix and Tempe.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,081,120 times
Tempe offers the college town atmosphere and a bit more diversity than Scottsdale (in people, housing types, etc.). Being 27, if you are going to live in Tempe, though, I'd avoid the areas heavily populated with students and stick to something slightly further from campus, or right along the lake if you can afford it. There are some really cool condos, townhouses, and lofts right on or near Tempe Town Lake. Scottsdale is great but yes, it does carry a much higher price tag. In Tempe you can find something really nice for under $900/mo but in Scottsdale you'll probably have to pay over $1,000/mo for something equivalent.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
In which neighborhood in Milwaukee do you currently live?
Where does your current commute take you?
What are your favorite things about your neighborhood?
What things don't you like about your current neighborhood?
Which restaurants and bars do you like?
What do you like to do in your spare time?

I live there also, and I can offer some apples to apples comparisons that you won't get from locals simply because they don't live in Milwaukee also. Be specific, as there really aren't that many areas that are walkable with a lot of bars and shopping. I know them all very well.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 14,568 times
Thank you all so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

43north87west - we currently live on the lower eastside area south of Brady Street but north of Cathedral Square. My current commute is about 35 minutes door to door out west on 94- so it is really not too bad, being an RN I usually miss peak traffic hours a bit due to shift scheduling. What we really love about out neighborhood is that we are very close to bars, shopping, restaurants, etc. but our street is off from the hustle and bustle and very quiet, near a park and with room to take the dog for walks, etc. We love being close to the Lake as well. We are quite happy with the neighborhood we are in now, no real complaints - rent is affordable ($900 for a 2bdrm) and we have off street parking. We are foodies and love to eat out - we enjoy spots like Bel Air Cantina, Bosley on Brady, Cafe Centraal, Balzac ... we go out in the Brady Area - Jo Cats, The Garage and Third Ward - Wicked Hop. Sometimes we go to North Ave for Hooligans, Hotel Foster etc. and the occasional Sunday Funday on Water Street. We basically like to spend time with friends, play bar league volleyball, spend time outside, go to sporting events (huge Brewer and Packer fans) and see live music in our free time --- I like to shop! Pretty typical young couple - work hard, play hard type.

Thanks for any more input!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,507 times
hi Scottsdale or Chandler areas are better options to live in phoenix, but it depends upon where you work. this phoenix town is spread with 60-75 milies.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,564 times
I would say given your information, that you should add Central Phoenix to your options. That is the areas just north of downtown extending up to around Camelback Rd, west to about 9th Ave, and east to about 7th or 16th street, also around the Biltmore Fashion Park area in Phoenix. Central Scottsdale is good, and Tempe south of ASU is too. These areas will have a more cosmopolitan and progressive vibe. Go too much further from these areas and it is more family oriented, retirement oriented, strip mallish, and conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area