Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 AM

6 posts, read 14,590 times

Advertisements

Thanks - the recruiter has given me some perimeters in southeast Tempe (I will be working in Tempe) - (Elliot on the N., Chandler Blvd on the S., Priest Rd on the W., & NcClintock on the E.) does anyone know of any nice apartment homes specifically in this area. I have also been looking at Mark Taylor Apartments, as they appear nice... but some older posts I have found seem to indicate that they may be dated now? There are nice looking Mark Taylor apartments in Tempe, Chandler and Scottsdale - any insider info?

We are pretty nervous and also very excited to make the move. For those who have made the move to the area in adult-hood, did you have trouble meeting people and making friends? I know that might seem silly, but we really do have a lot of fun here now and a great group of friends... we are hoping it won't be too difficult to meet new people, but I have also read that people in the area can keep to themselves and not be as inviting - how much truth is there in this?

As newlyweds, we are excited to take on an adventure like this... but it is definitely scary! We are leaving behind a lot and hope we can build a similar life in the valley!

Thanks again for all the info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,786,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopmke View Post
Thanks - the recruiter has given me some perimeters in southeast Tempe (I will be working in Tempe) - (Elliot on the N., Chandler Blvd on the S., Priest Rd on the W., & NcClintock on the E.) does anyone know of any nice apartment homes specifically in this area. I have also been looking at Mark Taylor Apartments, as they appear nice... but some older posts I have found seem to indicate that they may be dated now? There are nice looking Mark Taylor apartments in Tempe, Chandler and Scottsdale - any insider info?

We are pretty nervous and also very excited to make the move. For those who have made the move to the area in adult-hood, did you have trouble meeting people and making friends? I know that might seem silly, but we really do have a lot of fun here now and a great group of friends... we are hoping it won't be too difficult to meet new people, but I have also read that people in the area can keep to themselves and not be as inviting - how much truth is there in this?

As newlyweds, we are excited to take on an adventure like this... but it is definitely scary! We are leaving behind a lot and hope we can build a similar life in the valley!

Anyplace in that area of South Tempe/West Chandler is nice, and Mark Taylor makes nice higher end apartments. As for you meeting people that's something only you can answer. Are you out going or a hobbit? Remember Phoenix is a transient city people come and go all the time so you probably have to make the first move.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,608,851 times
Quote:

As the post below indicates, making friends is a two way street. This is not the south, or parts of the midwest, where your neighbors will come to your door with a pie or a casserole to welcome you. But, that said, this is a large metro area with dozens of opportunities to meet people. Meetup groups, volunteer opportunities, special interest clubs, classes put on by Parks and Rec departments (Tempe is particularly great at this), churches, your jobs, and your neighborhood all play a part. But, you are going to have to put yourselves out there a bit to make those connections.

The Mark Taylor apartments are generally very nice. There's one brand new complex on Baseline west of Rural, and another being built on Elliot east of all the shopping just off the interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Anyplace in that area of South Tempe/West Chandler is nice, and Mark Taylor makes nice higher end apartments. As for you meeting people that's something only you can answer. Are you out going or a hobbit? Remember Phoenix is a transient city people come and go all the time so you probably have to make the first move.
Well said.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM

52 posts, read 130,802 times
My guy and I are making the move June 1st from Philly to Scottsdale. We were looking for the same thing as you in terms of walkable places to eat, bars, a place to take our dogs ect..

We actually landed on North Scottsdale, Tradition at Kielrand. There is a lot of what we were looking for in that area plus I am opening a store at Kierland Commons so I will be able to walk to work if needed.

We are in our mid thirties and hoping to also make some great friends as we will miss our friends in Philly dearly. I will keep you posted on our move coming up and if you have any questions just message me. Everyone on the forum was extremely helpful.

Also... I am not quite sure why but I noticed on the forum that a lot of people talk about the heat and how Phoenix isn't for everyone... Now everyone I have talked to that I have been interviewing for my store, or acquaintances in the area have told me that they LOVE it there. They love the heat and that it can be bearable by having a pool and there is air conditioning everywhere. A lot of these people are transplants as well. I know that every city in the country isn't for everyone but I have never seen on other forums (Philly) so many people bring that up. Just don't let that discourage you.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,755,380 times
Quote:
Thanks - the recruiter has given me some perimeters in southeast Tempe (I will be working in Tempe) - (Elliot on the N., Chandler Blvd on the S., Priest Rd on the W., & NcClintock on the E.)
That is the opposite of where you say you live now in just about every single possible way.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 PM

216 posts, read 592,119 times
Quote:

I'm from a Milwaukee suburb and am very familiar where you live. It's hard to replicate that vibe out here but I tell you, I don't miss WI at all...except the lake. AZ is awesome and I think you will be happy here but you really need to come here and see what area 'rings your bell', so to speak. I love Scottsdale but there are many wonderful areas around Phoenix! Let us know where you end up!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 PM

13 posts, read 35,586 times
As someone who moved here in my mid-20's and knew a multitude of people in the same situation (some are still here, and some have left). Almost everyone I knew lived in South Scottsdale (including old town) and a few lived in Tempe (north by ASU or tempe town lake). I would personally never live anywhere besides those 2 places if I wanted any kind of social life in terms of going out to bars/restaurants/happy hours on any sort of regular basis. This place is too spread out and DUI laws are too strict for anything to really be going on anywhere else (except maybe Downtown Phoenix, which is mostly dead after 10 PM).

So with that being said, my recommendation would be to limit your search to the area in the photo I attached to this post. Specifically, I would check out the 3 Colonial Grand complexes in the area (I attached a map as well). I have lived at 2 of them, B and C on the map.

From my personal perspective, there is really no better place to be in the valley if you like high quality restaurants and a great nightlife. Are there some douchebags in scottsdale, especially at some clubs? or course there are, but there are in every city. There is a great mix of places for every crowd. And if you live in the right spot you can easily have a quick 10 dollar cab ride from a great social scene, while still having quiet parks, etc. to walk a dog or whatever other amenities you may want.

I'll check back in to the thread if you have any other questions (or feel free to message me). Good luck with the move!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area