Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 02:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I discovered a hidden gem on Kyrene and Warner in Tempe - Cafe Greco. Ohhhhh, it's delicious, healthy, and even has an adorable little bar. The owner is on site, and the food is inexpensive and mouthwatering. Everything is made from scratch. If you're feeling particularly reckless, ask for the Greek fries - not on the menu, but fries sprinkled with feta, parmesan, and lemon aioli. Divinely naughty!
Okay good to know. That place was a multitude of failed Greek/Italian/Mediterranean restaurants so I just assumed it was another clone. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I'm glad it's good. We need more healthy options....or I need more healthy options.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-26-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 03:03 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I live in "Chempetukee" also so know it well. Some of our favorite haunts include:

Crackers - breakfast place, on Elliot E. of Priest
Biscuits - another breakfast joint not mentioned, on Elliot W. of 48th
Pho Dalat - Vietnamese, at Elliot and Kyrene
Sushi Eye - Good sushi, near Warner and 48th
Sakana - another good sushi place, near Elliot and 51st
Nello's - local chain but really good, at Warner and 48th
Oregano's - another local chain but good pizza/pasta, Elliot and Priest
Va Bene - really good local italian joint, 48th and Chandler
Original Burrito Co. - cheap but good, 48th and Elliot
Los Taquitos - if you like spicy mexican, this is it, Elliot just W. of 48th
Tom's BBQ - decent BBQ with a Chicago theme, Baseline and Mill
Chuckbox - hands down best burgers anywhere, University and College
El Pollo Supremo - cheap hole in the wall place but very good, University and Ash
Z Tejas - chain but great atmosphere and great food, Ray and I-10 or Mill and 6th
Rustler's Rooste - great view, fun western atmosphere, 48th and Pointe Parkway
Aunt Chilada's - great for drinks, decent food, Baseline and I-10
Whoa Whoa there ShampooBanana, you're breakin the law and talking about places beyond the Chempetukee borders by going accross the freeway into North Tempe LOL...you got me excited when you mentioned "best burgers" and then I realized the location was further north. j/k

Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM

7 posts, read 10,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette
I discovered a hidden gem on Kyrene and Warner in Tempe - Cafe Greco. Ohhhhh, it's delicious, healthy, and even has an adorable little bar. The owner is on site, and the food is inexpensive and mouthwatering. Everything is made from scratch. If you're feeling particularly reckless, ask for the Greek fries - not on the menu, but fries sprinkled with feta, parmesan, and lemon aioli. Divinely naughty!

Tried this out this weekend. Definitely worth the visit! I tried a Greek Chicken Pita and Greek Fries and it was great. I am going to go for a plate next time. There's also a pizza place next door. Anyone tried it?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,076,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Whoa Whoa there ShampooBanana, you're breakin the law and talking about places beyond the Chempetukee borders by going accross the freeway into North Tempe LOL...you got me excited when you mentioned "best burgers" and then I realized the location was further north. j/k
My mistake, but it's hard not to include it when it's only a short drive (and well worth it, it might add!).

Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Most of my favorites have been mentioned, but I don't see "Forefathers" mentioned. It's a Philly Cheesesteak shop near the corner of Priest and Warner, in south Tempe.

hikernut

Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrey_bear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette

Tried this out this weekend. Definitely worth the visit! I tried a Greek Chicken Pita and Greek Fries and it was great. I am going to go for a plate next time. There's also a pizza place next door. Anyone tried it?
Yes, it's also very good. Used to be Piccazo's (sp?) but the owner didn't want to pay the franchise price again so just changed the name. Don't know if that is true or not. We've been told they are making all food the same though and it did taste like it.

Didn't Cafe Greco used to be My Big Fat Greek Restaurant Express? Haven't paid attention to what those places are lately.

I'll put in a vote for my favorite Italian place, Vinci Torrio's on Elliot and McClintock

Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM

7 posts, read 10,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Yes, it's also very good. Used to be Piccazo's (sp?) but the owner didn't want to pay the franchise price again so just changed the name. Don't know if that is true or not. We've been told they are making all food the same though and it did taste like it.

Didn't Cafe Greco used to be My Big Fat Greek Restaurant Express? Haven't paid attention to what those places are lately.

I'll put in a vote for my favorite Italian place, Vinci Torrio's on Elliot and McClintock

I'm not sure if it used to be that, but there is now a My Big Fat Greek Express on Baseline, between Kyrene and Rural.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 PM

105 posts, read 129,878 times
Yupha's - kao pad...unlike any fried rice I've ever had
Vincitorio's - real east coast Italian
Pita Jungle - bababababaganoosh
Chompies - yukon gold hash browns
Great Harvest - cinnamon scones

Last edited by gravooms; 05-03-2013 at 11:49 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 01:57 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,745 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if it used to be that, but there is now a My Big Fat Greek Express on Baseline, between Kyrene and Rural.
That one has been there for a few years. I just never go that direction.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,751 times
Quote:
It's at Baseline and College but I'm not a fan. When I want gyros I go to either Haji-baba or Niro's Gyros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area