Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 PM

68 posts, read 162,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
We have a GE Profile water softener, and it has worked fine for us. However, I have seen a few homes in our neighborhood that have the premium DuPure water softeners that Fulton offers. Not really sure what benefits it offers over the GE units.

If you don't mind me asking how much did yours cost? I am in the market, I did not want to pay the Fulton price for one so I did not add that in my extras for the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanchola2 View Post
If you don't mind me asking how much did yours cost? I am in the market, I did not want to pay the Fulton price for one so I did not add that in my extras for the home.
Unfortunately for you, we bought it from Fulton with the house. Our model is the GXSH39E, which is no longer made. The models Fulton now offers are the GXSH40V (40,000 grain) and GNSH45E (45,000 grain), the former which sells for $497 at The Home Depot. The latter apparently is no longer made (its replacement being the GXSH45V, selling for $825 at HD), and I'm guessing Fulton still has some remaining stock they are trying to get rid of before they order the newer model.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
We got our softener unit from Sears, a 32,100 grain unit $359.00. The install of new copper line including the softener the total cost was under $1000.00. It's been 5 years now and no problems.
If you house is already pre-plumbed installation is very simple for a DIY. One of the best investments you can make for your house and plumbing system.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We got our softener unit from Sears, a 32,100 grain unit $359.00. The install of new copper line including the softener the total cost was under $1000.00. It's been 5 years now and no problems.
If you house is already pre-plumbed installation is very simple for a DIY. One of the best investments you can make for your house and plumbing system.
Same here. I bought a Sears about 15 years ago and have only had to replace an O-ring on it. It is still going strong. I did not have a softener loop so had to DIY my own which consisted of constructing a trap and drain at the cleanout, cutting and replumbing the water supply, and running new lines for outside hose bibs (so treated water full of sodium did not get used for irrigation). I also installed an RO unit under the sink to take out the sodium in the drinking water. A side benefit is unlimited cheap bottled water quality water. It was not all that hard, but then I have been doing this kind of stuff for years.

Anyone looking at a new home should definitely buy the soft water loop option if it is available. Hooking up a softener is then a pretty simple job and you can use an inexpensive unit like those at Sears. You can spend a whole lot of money on softeners, but in my experience a cheap one from a big box works just as well. My Sears is my second one as I put one in another home I had as well. Neither of them gave me a bit of grief in years and years of use.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
There's some really good info in this thread. I'm in the process of buying a home with a soft water loop but no water softener. The house was built in the late 90s. Is it a problem that the plumbing has had hard water going through it for all these years? I plan to install a water softer and RO system as soon as we close but was wondering if there could be any potential damage.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
There's some really good info in this thread. I'm in the process of buying a home with a soft water loop but no water softener. The house was built in the late 90s. Is it a problem that the plumbing has had hard water going through it for all these years? I plan to install a water softer and RO system as soon as we close but was wondering if there could be any potential damage.
Should not be any problems. It'll actually clean your pipes over a period of time.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:24 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Also, if you plan on installing a tankless water heater, a water softener is a must have, since hard water is known to cause major problems with tankless water heaters.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM

603 posts, read 946,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I plan to install a water softer and RO system as soon as we close but was wondering if there could be any potential damage.
The anode in your water heater tank can be eaten up faster, so just check it every other year. You can also add a second anode rod to your tank.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:52 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,573 times
Do your newer houses down there come with a softener loop? I say newer but even our house built in 87 came with one.
We just have one of the cheap all in one sears units and it has worked just fine for years. Once you get used to them, you cant live without them. My wife lets me know when ours is out of salt and it's usually after she takes a shower and boy does she let me know about it!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
So here's a stupid question. Back in MI we had great water (IMO). No slimy feeling after a shower, no struggling to rinse off soap and shampoo, spotless glasses right out of the dishwasher, etc. I always thought that was because we had naturally soft water. Maybe I was wrong. Here, we have a water softener in our rental house and the water is awful. It feels slimy and takes forever to rinse clean, leaves spots on the shower and on glasses, etc. Is that because of the water softener? Someone please enlighten me. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area