Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 17,026 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a recently divorced African American female and I was thinking of relocating from Ga to either Phoenix, Az (most likely) or Dallas, Tx. I am wondering if anyone can offer input. I am a small business owner so I would like to know about business ownership for African American's in Az; chances of success, are there many African American owned businesses? I would also like to know about dating for African American women in Az how do we fair, do we have many options or opportunities? What about the neighborhoods and weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 03:42 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times
Well, first and foremost, I'm not African American, but I'm going to try to answer some of your questions anyway.

As far as African American owned businesses in PHX, I really couldn't tell you, I am not a businessman myself; but if I had to guess I would say that the success of your business will be more based on the individual merits of your business rather than your race or ethnicity. Ultimately, if you offer a valuable product/service, people will buy.

In response to, "I would also like to know about dating for African American women in Az how do we fair, do we have many options or opportunities?", I would say that you may be somewhat limited in your dating prospects if you only date African American men. Not to say that we don't have an African American community, because we do, but it is a very small percentage of our total population in contrast with most other major metropolitan areas. You will still have a significant number of African American men to meet here in Phoenix, but nothing compared to a city like Atlanta, NYC, Philly, LA, etc... However, if you also date outside your ethnicity, then you will have no issues like what I mentioned. And just for the record, I personally find African American women very sexy, but I am already married, so that's completely out of the question. Just kidding.

As far as neighborhoods, we don't have any strictly African American neighborhoods here in Phoenix. The ones that would come closest would be my neighborhood, Eastlake Park (Maybe 60% Black / 40% Mexican); or South Phoenix. A lot of people will tell you that South Phoenix is primarily all African American; well you know what: those people obviously never go to South Phoenix and are just parroting back old stereotypes they have heard in the past, because South Phoenix is much more Hispanic than Black. Having said that, South Phoenix does have a higher black population that most other valley areas, however they are not the majority. Ultimately, Phoenix is not a very black city; but that does not mean that you couldn't move here and completely love it.

Another thing that seems (IMO) to be a benefit to African Americans here, is, in my opinion: There seems to be a very low amount of racism towards blacks in this city. Again, in my opinion, most all of the people/groups that exhibit any form of racism here in Phoenix seem to devote 99% of their energies toward being racist against Mexicans, so they really have no energy left over to be racist towards African Americans. Honestly, I feel that for this reason blacks seem to not have to deal with much racism if at all here in Phoenix. But, again, that's just my opinion. (And I'm Mexican-American so I guess you could say that I'm bias LOL)

I hope that was some help, if you have further questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM

Thank you so much for trying, your input is appreciated. I do not only date African American men. I am a person who loves diversity. I enjoy meeting new people but I keep myself drama and problem free. I have a small business and it does well here in Atlanta but we have an abundance African American businesses and opportunities. I just want to make the most informed decisions and I have about three weeks to decide. I currently live in a very diverse mid income community and my children have a lot of friend of other ethnic groups I just do not want them to suffer culture shock or feel placed in a box, I want them to continue to get along with everyone until they have a reason decide otherwise. We do not hold a whole race accountable for the actions of one.

The most important thing at this point is comfort and security. I want to be able to get along with my life with no problems outside of the norm and just really wanted to know a little more about how well African Americans do in Phoenix. Not wanting at all to segregate or seem uptight, racist, bias or however this post my come across.

How is the weather there and the housing market? What about spiders and scorpions? LOL Thanks again for your valued imput.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
phxsoul.com
blackenterprise.com/phx
You can search AA biz in Phoenix, AZ, plus social events.
you can search forums and websites that cover AA living in Phoenix, plus business forums for AA's.
The weather is great, make sure you have a pool near for the summer. It's a dry heat so no big sweat issues.
Phoenix is a large city and much like L.A. is spread out. You'll have to do some internet searches for good areas to hang out.
Good luck, hope to see you soon. Let us know when your biz is up and running!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonapeachGA View Post
Thank you so much for trying, your input is appreciated. I do not only date African American men. I am a person who loves diversity. I enjoy meeting new people but I keep myself drama and problem free. I have a small business and it does well here in Atlanta but we have an abundance African American businesses and opportunities. I just want to make the most informed decisions and I have about three weeks to decide. I currently live in a very diverse mid income community and my children have a lot of friend of other ethnic groups I just do not want them to suffer culture shock or feel placed in a box, I want them to continue to get along with everyone until they have a reason decide otherwise. We do not hold a whole race accountable for the actions of one.

The most important thing at this point is comfort and security. I want to be able to get along with my life with no problems outside of the norm and just really wanted to know a little more about how well African Americans do in Phoenix. Not wanting at all to segregate or seem uptight, racist, bias or however this post my come across.

How is the weather there and the housing market? What about spiders and scorpions? LOL Thanks again for your valued imput.
No problem. And just for the record, you didn't come across as any of those things, I just wanted to give you a well rounded and complete answer (For my money, sometimes the non "politically-correct" answer is the best one!

Spiders and scorpions are a non-issue and the housing market is currently climbing.

Feel free to ask any further questions and I hope you enjoy Phoenix.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 PM

Thank you for the resources I will look into them tomorrow @poppysead. I sure will let you know as soon as we get everything up and running in AZ! Looking forward to this move. Thank you for your input

Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
I am black, middle aged and was born and raised here,although I have lived in the Bay Area and travelled a lot to different states.

Just to give you a perspective, the Phoenix metro area has about 4.5 million people. When I was growing up here in the 70's we had 1.5 million people. So most people here are not natives, and are from somewhere else.

Phoenix has always had an established black population and my parents and grandfather are part of that history. All of the black sororities and fraternities are here, and have been for years.

There are about 250,000 blacks here, about 3 dozen or so black beauty and barber shops, about 20 black beauty supply shops, numerous black churches, the largest (a HUGE modern church) being Pilgrim Rest, which is in a long standing historic black neighborhood. We get all the major black concerts and comedy here, although not always on weekend nights.

Demographically, the metro area is about 5.5% Black, 33% Latino, 3% Asian, 2% native American, and about 56% white. Phoenix by itself is 1.6 million people and is a majority minority city at about 53% non white residents. The City of Phoenix is almost 7% black. The towns in the metro area with the highest percentage of blacks are Avondale with 9.5%, and neighboring Goodyear with about 7% blacks. Chandler (west Chandler) and west Tempe are about 5% black.

The West Coast cities differ from the South, as Latinos are the predominant non white group. Las Vegas has the largest black population in the west with 11%.

Here our black population is scattered, and many times blacks live in areas that are largely Latino. Our hair shops will be in unlikely places. A black beautician may operate in an upper income white beauty salon.

You will see a few blacks even in upper end areas. Blacks here assimilate with whites. We don't have the solidarity or fight the system mentality that blacks have in Vegas or other cities with hard core hoods.

So you're coming from an area with 1/3 of the population being black, here 1/3 of the population will be Latino and much of the western cities have similar demographics.

We have soul food restaurants and chicken and waffles, we all love mexican food here.

As far as a black owned business goes, what type of business? There are black owned businesses here. Besides doing hair, you will need a product that sells to all races. Since racial mixing has been strong here since the 70's, white people will patronize your business if it sells products homogenous to all people.

Dating wise you'll be fine. There are tons of blacks on the dating sites here, and you'll meet people once you get established. There are so many variables involved in dating that determines ones sucess.

There have been blacks involved in the City of Phoenix politics, but politically here good ole boys have been running things. I know you have heard about the scandals. Many of the retirees and rural Midwestern people who relocate here have kept things somewhat red politically, but that is gradually changing and we are on the verge of becoming a blue state.

We are not conservative in the same sense as the South, we are more Libertarian. Liquor is sold in all stores and bars 7 days a week from 6AM-2AM. No one will ask you what church you attend here. Although in Gilbert, Mesa and parts of the East Valley, we have a large Mormon population coupled with lots of retirement areas, and conservative family types. Those areas have the smallest black populations although blacks do live there, and some like it.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
Oh you also asked about the weather. In the winter, from late November to Mid March, our highs run anywhere from the mid 50's to mid 70's. In the Spring which is late March to late May, the first 1/2 of spring in the 80's and 90's. In June-September highs are anywhere from 100-113, maybe 115 a few days. The hotter variants mostly in late June till September. We have a dry heat so 105 here feels like low 90's in Atlanta. July and August is our monsoon season so the humidity is higher then and those are the worst 2 months, although tolerable. By late September we start dropping to the low 100's and mid 90's. 90's are no big deal here. Remember we have low humidity, most days from 8-15%. It will be higher in July and August. No tornados here though.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Damn Goober - You know, I gotta say that you always give out some great advice on here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
...numerous black churches, the largest (a HUGE modern church) being Pilgrim Rest, which is in a long standing historic black neighborhood...
The one thing that I want to add, is that that church, and that long standing historic black neighborhood that you are referring to are none other than my neighborhood, Eastlake Park!!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Thank you for your input...it is welcomed and very appreciated! Now a little about myself, I can not do hair (and never had interest in that type of thing, I just go and get it done buy someone who can and likes to do hair. Besides it is relaxing.) My hair is long natural and thick. I was born in Atlanta but grew up in a mid income suburb just outside. My neighbors are Asian, and we have a few Caucasians and African Americans but not on our street outside of my family and a family a few houses down. I am a Paralegal by trade but I have a worked as a substitute and multifamily property manager and I am a online Psychology at of all places University of Phoenix (one year in). We love to travel and we love to learn about different cultures and ethnicities. I love Indian & Asian Cuisine but I have never been into the southern cuisine (even as a child but if I had to have Soul food southern style is the way to go), but I do love grilled and baked chicken (the only meat I eat). I love my children, art, movies and people in general. Sort of an activist but not at all by definition. I am quiet can not tolerate ignorance or drama...I try to always remain positive. I believe in hard work and I part Libertarian and mostly Democrat. I have dated Caucasan men and probably will again so race is not an issue with me. I just want to make the best decisions for my children and myself divorce is hard and I want happiness for us all. I am starting all the way over and since I have wanted to be in Arizona since I saw Waiting To Exhale when I was little, I figured what better time than now! I love positivity and am learning to love myself again (the way I used to and am supposed to). I had to split everything and now we are starting from scratch. Thanks again for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area