Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM

11 posts, read 17,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Oh you also asked about the weather. In the winter, from late November to Mid March, our highs run anywhere from the mid 50's to mid 70's. In the Spring which is late March to late May, the first 1/2 of spring in the 80's and 90's. In June-September highs are anywhere from 100-113, maybe 115 a few days. The hotter variants mostly in late June till September. We have a dry heat so 105 here feels like low 90's in Atlanta. July and August is our monsoon season so the humidity is higher then and those are the worst 2 months, although tolerable. By late September we start dropping to the low 100's and mid 90's. 90's are no big deal here. Remember we have low humidity, most days from 8-15%. It will be higher in July and August. No tornados here though.
Thanks so much...I am so glad to hear about the Tornados. I hate to sound ignorant but what about wildlife. I can not what to get out and hike and start a running regimen with my children (I need to lose the marriage/comfort weight). I see that you guys have been hit hard by the winter storm. I love snow (we lived in Michigan for a year while I went to Wayne State University) does this type of weather happen often? Thank you again for your input, it is very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM

Also please forgive me all of you as I am new to forums! Please also forgive/excuse my ignorance...

Old 02-23-2013, 06:50 PM

582 posts, read 1,484,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonapeachGA View Post
Thanks so much...I am so glad to hear about the Tornados. I hate to sound ignorant but what about wildlife. I can not what to get out and hike and start a running regimen with my children (I need to lose the marriage/comfort weight). I see that you guys have been hit hard by the winter storm. I love snow (we lived in Michigan for a year while I went to Wayne State University) does this type of weather happen often? Thank you again for your input, it is very appreciated.
We have mild winters, but you can drive 100 miles to the north or northeast during most of the winter and find snow. The lowest 30 year average high for any winter day is 65. Right now our average high for February 23rd is 72. The average winter lows are in the 40's with some days in the 30's.Today our high is 65 and sunny. Upper 70's by the end of next week.That little freak weather we had Wednesday is gone. It melted shortly after it hit. our high Wednesday was about 46, and was 58 and clear on Thursday. Phoenix only gets about 7-8 inches of rain per year. It is sunny most days.

There are several mountain trails people hike all the time here. In the summer months, we get daylight about 5 AM. You'll want to get your hike over by around 10:30. With all that humidity you get in the South, you should be fine here in the summer. The sun will feel a little hotter, but the air is dry.

Based on the lifestyle you described in Atlanta, you should be fine if you can land the position you want.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,928,217 times
Question....is your exhusband okay with you moving away with the kids. What about visitation?

You said you're open to date white men, but, what about Mexican men?

So, what do you do for a living?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM

768 posts, read 1,761,770 times
Goober13 has offered some great advice on this thread.

Phoenix is very white and very Republican. Since relocating from our home in New Orleans and moving to the Land-o-Beige we constantly miss the cultural influence that a significant African-American brings to a city. Soul food - jazz - anything ethnic other than Latino is hard to find.

Come to AZ - help us shake things up!

PS Be very careful about AZ public schools. Despite all the political BS at the GA Board of Education - the State of GA runs a good public education program.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Goober13 has offered some great advice on this thread.

Phoenix is very white and very Republican. Since relocating from our home in New Orleans and moving to the Land-o-Beige we constantly miss the cultural influence that a significant African-American brings to a city. Soul food - jazz - anything ethnic other than Latino is hard to find.

Come to AZ - help us shake things up!

PS Be very careful about AZ public schools. Despite all the political BS at the GA Board of Education - the State of GA runs a good public education program.
I must say that I am happy with Georgia school system here overall, just like with everything you have good and bad. I feel the curriculum is great but sometimes the teachers can be a bit lazy especially where we live now (they have their days). Recess in Georgia schools was cut years ago so we only have P.E. which cuts social time for students (which does not help gain social skills). I think that this leads to bad behavior and poor social skills. I think children need that positive social time. To much structure (children should be allowed to be children), everything is based on tests (some people do not test well because of stress, nerves, or just because; I am glad my children do test and cope well though). Lots of stories to share on this.

I absolutely looooooove Jazz. Please tell me they have a cool jazz spot somewhere! I am not rally a fan of soul food...I hate (pork and grease) always have. But I love fried fish and most of the veggies (-the grease and pork) never cared for cornbread though I enjoy cornbread dressing! Sweet potatoes are a must have for me. My husband (ex) loved soul food, he was fat before we met lost some weight and when we married got back fat and me along with him. Can't wait to get back to me...I do enjoy an occassinal wing dish or philly cheese steak but right now I have to lose the weight that came along with my marriage baggage. I am so glad that is over!

Three weeks to go then Phoenix bound.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Question....is your exhusband okay with you moving away with the kids. What about visitation?

You said you're open to date white men, but, what about Mexican men?

So, what do you do for a living?
My ex husband chose his previous family...his first. She got pregnant during their seperation period by someone else. He went back anyway started raising the other child as his but later divorce because she cheated again (like she did the whole marriage in his face and presence). She always promised to make his life miserable. He lost weight, divorced, met me became wonderful friends and married. She refuse to let him bring the kids over because she was insecure (400+ lbs, never worked, and relied on him to take care of her(which he did as he promised). After a while she said something (don't know what but he said the kids needed him, one of his children had cancer which is in remission Thank God) he decided that he owed her and the kids (even the one which is not his biologically) She called him and claimed an emergency, he left me and my two children (we have one child) came back to get his cloths made me a promise that he would be there for my child and never came back. We talked and he said that if he is going to be there for the children he as to put in his all he said he promise her as a teen that he would never leave and always be there for her and he feels like he is awful because he could not do it and left (only after she made him sleep on the coach while a man was in his bed).

When I married him I knew that he was a good provider and with both of us being educate and hard working we could lift each other up (we he was with her he would work but if she demanded he stay home he did and he had a very awful low paying job even though he has three years of college under his belt, musically talented, well spoken and intelligent.
When we married my friends helped him but know he is back to going from low paying job to low paying job. His parents pay the bills at their house and he is remarrying her in April. She said she has changed but he is not allowed to come around us, he has seen our child once in six months and lives 25 minutes away. He has to tell her when we meet but he didn't the last time and she found out because I emailed him to thank him for spending time with his child. I told him I will drop the baby off, we can meet in a public place and he can spend time with the baby while I sit off from them. We never have to be alone together. I have made it understood that I never backtrack and if you do not want me I am cool, I was single before him for two years and I can go more ...I value myself more then that. I am not loud, ghetto, stupid, violent, nor lazy. Though I did gain weight a lot of weight when I was married to him! I explained nicely that I do not respect or want anyone who turns their back on their children. He did not move on, he walked away. and never looked back. Talking about he is ashamed of the man he has become and the way his life turned out. (sorry I am not a man, don't wish to be and can't have sympathy because you have none for your child) Forget me now I am irrelevant now but your child is always yours. I try to do things right and this is how they work for me...being kind, kissing his ex's butt , not going around his other children (even though I was the wife) how stupid was this...I don't smoke, am not wild, work hard but I am the one wrong LOL! And in the divorce I only asked for child support (which he can't even pay) He wants us to be friends but he walked away from my child...that I can not accept. His parents are disappointed because he went back and know they have to suffer by helping him pay bills, we have because a child that she will not allow around he children and he is okay with it because this is the way his fiance/baby mother wants it. I think children should know their siblings and they are dumb and deserve each other.

His parent are aware of the move and they said to me "if you think it's hard for John to be a part of the baby's life now how hard do you think it will be in Dallas or Phoenix". My response was if John wanted to be apart of our baby's life he would not have asked for the divorce and went back to his first wife (who made his life, and your life miserable) he live 25 minutes away and never calls, emails or visits to check on our child so what does that tell you about John?

With that being said and to asnwer your question: I can say whole hartedly that he does not care about our move (because he knows we will all be okay). His parents visit us and I am sure they tell him things. They are disappointed in him because he went back and plans to remarry her and because they never thought they would have to go to two houses to visit his children. (They raised him to have all of his children under on roof and never get divorced, now he has been divorced twice.) He gets second hand information and he likes it. When he did call I just handed the phone to the kids anyway never even a Hello unless I had to. I agree that we should be amicable and mature but I can not do it alone and if we are going to co parent we should do it right. He doesn't even make time to send an email... Two years of my life wasted... My next marriage will last and I will make a better choice.

I have dated a Puerto Rican men and Jamaican men before and one guy who was Mexican and white!
Excuse the long response this is still a hard subject not the divorce (so over that mistake) but the abandonment (of his child) without a care.

I am a Real Estate Assistant and my business caters to Realtors in and around Metro Atlanta...soon expanding exclusively to Phoenix and surrounding areas!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Weather like that storm the other day happens VERY rarely, I've lived here over 50 years and never seen that amount of "ground cover" (whether graupel or snow) . You probably have stormier winter weather in the Atlanta area than here. If you are going to go hiking in the desert, you need to dress appropriately, carry plenty of water (yes, even in the cooler weather, it's DRY here), and, particularly in the spring, watch out for snakes. You may never see one, but keep your eyes open.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,928,217 times
Quote:
He lost weight, divorced, met me became wonderful friends and married. She refuse to let him bring the kids over because she was insecure (400+ lbs, never worked, and relied on him to take care of her(which he did as he promised). he feels like he is awful because he could not do it and left (only after she made him sleep on the coach while a man was in his bed).
He divorce you, left you and your child(ren) and go back to her makes no sense. We are not getting the whole story.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM

582 posts, read 1,484,109 times
Mrs White's is the popular, long standing soul food place here at 8th Street and Jefferson. They have all the greens, yams, black eyed peas, green beans and potatoes, and yes they have fish amongst the other dishes you may not like. Huge plates.

A new black owned place opened at 12th Street and Jefferson, the name escapes me, but they have fish and chicken.

I don't think the details of your past relationship matter. You are moving on, most of us have had terrible past relationships and marriages, and all you can do is move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area