Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM

88 posts, read 269,217 times

Advertisements

I live in in Ocotillo area to be exact...

Any responsible pool guys in this area or nearby to recommend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,344 times
I use a service I am very happy with, Epic Pool Svc. Dependable, good price thorough.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
I found this Chandler based company on Yelp and they look pretty good. In my experience, yelp reviews have been fairly reliable.

Phoenix Pool Boys - Chandler, AZ

Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,645 times
I take care of my own pool. I had pool companies do it when I first moved here but once a week is not nearly often enough to take PROPER care of a pool not to mention the expense.
Pool companies make most of their money selling chemicals and most of those cause other problems so guess what? They sell you more chemicals to fix what the other chemicals caused. The chlorine pucks in the floater is a good example. Those pucks are insidiously easy to use. Unfortunately, over time they will cause big problems. Those constantly add chlorine which is good but they also add a conditioner that builds up over time and that conditioner eventually makes your chlorine not work. Suddenly, even though you have chlorine in your pool, it turns green. Go figure. So then you have to spend a lot of money on chemicals to fix the problem and eventually, you'll have to empty your pool and start over.
My pool has not had an algae bloom or any other problem this year and I've never shocked it. That's because my water is balanced and stable so I don't need all that other junk to keep the water clear. It's naturally clear. I like simplicity.
As it turns out, caring for a pool is very simple and requires very little time. I spend about 5 minutes or less per day or every other day and I sweep it when it needs it. Usually a couple of times a week unless there is a dust storm.
I only use two chemicals to keep the pool sparkling clear. So clear in fact that I can see what kind of screws are holding down the main drain through 10 feet of water. I'm talking clear. The two chemicals I use are pretty simple. Liquid chlorine as the sanitizer and muriatic acid to keep the PH where it should be. Once a month I test for the other stuff that is necessary but if you keep the chlorine and the PH right, the other stuff usually stays stable.
Pool care is simple. Pool stores make it complicated and expensive. I spend about $30.00 per month to keep my pool clean.
Go to troublefreepools.com and save yourself some time and money. Those guys are awesome, they aren't trying to sell you anything and they know what they are talking about. One of the guys is a chemist so he can explain why you don't need all the stuff a pool store tries to sell you.
Interesting stuff and it works to perfection. Check it out.
Nothing against pool stores and pool guys but once a week just isn't enough to keep up a pool properly IMHO.
Look at it this way. 6 days a week the pool isn't cared for.

Last edited by maverick974; 08-28-2012 at 11:06 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
What is the monthly budget for a quality pool service?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
What is the monthly budget for a quality pool service?
They are usually somewhere in the $80.00 per month range unless you need extra chemicals. (see above)

Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 AM

211 posts, read 544,044 times
if you keep your pool running for about 8 hours a day, the water should stay clear. Letting the pump not work enough daily will cause the water to go stagnant and turn green. i learned this the hard way years ago. Now i also put a gallon of shock in the pool weekly and my pool is always crystal clear.

u really dont need to waste the $80 plus a month..

Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,054,508 times
I agree with taking care of the pool yourself, at least the day-to-day stuff like testing/adjusting the chlorine and pH levels, emptying the skimmer screen, backwashing, etc. I learned on a different website: www.poolforum.com. This the summer I've been testing every two days.

As a compromise, you could hire someone to come out a couple times a year to clean the filter and do any other needed maintenance. Then do the day-to-day stuff yourself.

hikernut

Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,344 times
Adding a gallon of shock every week is not a good way to maintain your pool. Sure it is clear, chemical
Levels are also through the roof. Pouring chemicals in every week to keep he water
Clear is not smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: