Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times

Advertisements

I know Phoenix is more laid back when it comes to wearing suits and ties. Used to have a job that required a full suit when I lived back east and when I transferred to Phoenix I was able to ditch my jacket and occasionally my tie. Now I am back in Phoenix and have job interviews lined up with some professional level firms later this week. So I will show up in a tie, but do I need to show up with a full suit if it is 110 degrees outside and get away with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 AM

582 posts, read 1,482,077 times
I would wear your suit and tie. Lawyers wear suits and ties while walking downtown to court in the heat. It's all about your professional image. Just put your suit jacket on when you get to to the interview, and take it off when you get back in the car.

Once you get hired, then you can see if more casual dress is the norm.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 AM

357 posts, read 711,868 times
Agreed. It's never going to hurt to wear a suit. The only people I know who wear suits daily in Phoenix are lawyers, accountants, or high end executives (who even go more towards sport coat look now) but you might as well for the interview - shows you want the job to be willing to wear a suit in 110 degree weather!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Yes, although my workplace (IT for a high tech firm) was mostly a jeans sort of place, when we had folks in for interviews there was more or less of an expectation that they would be wearing a suit. On occasion I would actually warn people that they didn't need to wear a coat/tie, but unless you hear that, it's best to dress up.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I know Phoenix is more laid back when it comes to wearing suits and ties. Used to have a job that required a full suit when I lived back east and when I transferred to Phoenix I was able to ditch my jacket and occasionally my tie. Now I am back in Phoenix and have job interviews lined up with some professional level firms later this week. So I will show up in a tie, but do I need to show up with a full suit if it is 110 degrees outside and get away with it?
For interview purposes, given that you are interviewing with a company that will require a suit and tie (even just sometimes), I'd just go with a suit and tie. You're putting your best foot forward, so just deal with the heat for a couple of days.

You are correct though, that, for the most part, Phoenix is much more laid back. This is the top reason, IMO, that eastern people often fail to connect with the area or the people (either professionally or personally). There is a very large culture gap between the Southwestern states, and the northeastern 1/4 of the country.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM

603 posts, read 946,166 times
Our company has a dress code that changes to business casual in the summer. I'd still wear a suit for an interview.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Unless specifically told not to by the person who made the appointment, I'd always go to an interview with the suit and tie. Even then, I'd personally probably wear a tie at minimum.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
I work security at a large financial company in the area. I handle people almost daily that come to interview. Most men arrive in full suit (sometimes minus jacket). I've wondered myself if it's necessary in the summer months and I cannot say how much weight it holds. Likely not much but if most do so in the professional world, I'd just go along.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I work security at a large financial company in the area. I handle people almost daily that come to interview. Most men arrive in full suit (sometimes minus jacket). I've wondered myself if it's necessary in the summer months and I cannot say how much weight it holds. Likely not much but if most do so in the professional world, I'd just go along.
As someone whose job responsibilities include interviews, I can tell you it holds a lot of weight. As others have mentioned it shows you're serious about the job. You took the time to make a good impression rather than looking like you just stopped by. It shows respect for the company and the interviewers who are giving you the opportunity. On a similar vein, if I had to appear in court I would wear a suit to show respect for the Court and the judicial system (no I'm not a lawyer). Same idea when you go on a job interview.

While this might not be true for some types of jobs, on an interview, first impressions mean everything. Showing up dressed inappropriately casual is a huge faux pas that is likely to cost you the job. A professional recruiter will tell you that not only should you wear a suit, but your shoes must be polished, nails neatly trimmed, breath fresh, hair cut, etc etc etc. You're there to make an impression and sell yourself. Unfortunately, appearance matters a great deal.

Would I reject a good candidiate simply because he didn't dress appropriately? Very possibly.
Would I ever risk a good opportunity myself by not getting dressed up? Never.

Here's an interesting question Bondurant: of the men who show up without a jacket, do you ever see them a second time?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Have respect for the company, position and process and put a suit on ..... even if it goes back into the closet full time once you get the job

especially at a professional firm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area