Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,078,901 times

Advertisements

yes, zillow sux the big one for serious house shopping....fun for snooping on your neighbor, tho

gotta get a realtor!!....and spend a lot of time looking hard, checking comps, and bargaining a bit....

when the time comes, consider the private high schools here, like Phx Country Day and several others....

do you know anybody at Mayo out here who already likes a particular 'hood?....honestly, as I sorta said before, I'd stay south of Bell and west of Pima....those newer outlying N and NE Scotts developments lack soul and stability (in my biased opinion)....would be really nice for you to find a nice Arcadia (nicer Phx area) spot or 85253 place....they're closer-in (and not just to downtown), established, more convenient, not so flashy.....

summer: go tubing on the Salt, jump in the pool, go on an early-morning hike (no daylight savings time out here, by the way!!), head to Flagstaff or other high country a couple hours away, boating at Lake Pleasant or the Salt River lakes....

be warned of very dry air (cold when you get out of the pool due to rapid water evaporation), bright sun, dusty furniture, hot car interiors, slow-paced summers (sorta), fast-paced self-important drivers.....

EDIT: I checked comps on that Gray Rd house at the county assessor's page...slightly smaller places in the same development sold for in the low 600s a year or more ago before prices apparently hit bottom a few months ago....so, yeah, that asking price is a bit high right now....and it last sold for $802K in 2004 about a year before the peak.....lots of stuff for sale in that price range, so haggle.....

Last edited by azdr0710; 08-02-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:37 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times
For what it's worth, Carefree is in the Cave Creek Unified School District. Today the Arizona Department of Education announced letter grades for school districts. CCUSD received an A, which is the same grade that Scottsdale Unified got.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:20 AM

428 posts, read 5,886,222 times
I looked into that Phoenix Country Day School, it was on Stanford Dr., minutes away from paradise reserve. I don't know where i was on Stanford, but that is the rd that i remember that was beat up with a few crummy looking homes (I have no idea where i was with respect to the school though). Interesting though, I looked at the tuition and class sizes (Tuition and Payment Options - Phoenix Country Day School), YIKES- I don't think I would swing $20k+/yr per kid for elementary school/middle school. Grades 9-12 had a class size of just 60- do you think they would prefer kids that attended from k-8 before they accept newcomers for 9-12? Thank you for telling me about this school!

Also, is there some some general consensus as to what streets define north, central, and south scottsdale? I've been under the impression that between Dynamite and Bell Rd/Frank llyod wright + east of Scottsdale Rd is "North", between Bell Rd/Frank llyod wright and Shea and east of Scottsdale Rd is "Central", and below Shea east of Scottsdale Rd is "South", and west of Scottsdale Rd is Paradise Valley proper. I was using zillow to only look at place north of shea + east of scottsdale rd, and south of shea + west of scottsdale rd. Are these good boundaries for what define central+north scottsdale, and PV proper?

Last edited by vince3vince; 08-04-2012 at 06:19 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 05:40 AM

428 posts, read 5,886,222 times
I just made these pics with MS paint to show what I've been assuming in north, central, and south. The green circles are where I think I've already looked at.

North includes- greyhawk, canyon heights, silverleaf, and windgate

Central- Ancala, stone gate, cactus acres

South- Mccormmick/Gainy

and PV- mostly things off lincoln blvd
Attached Thumbnails
Help, advice on scottsdale areas-north-scottsdale.bmp   Help, advice on scottsdale areas-central-scottsdale.bmp   Help, advice on scottsdale areas-south-scottsdale-pv.bmp  

Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
Also, is there some some general consensus as to what streets define north, central, and south scottsdale? I've been under the impression that between Dynamite and Bell Rd/Frank llyod wright + east of Scottsdale Rd is "North", between Bell Rd/Frank llyod wright and Shea and east of Scottsdale Rd is "Central", and below Shea east of Scottsdale Rd is "South", and west of Scottsdale Rd is Paradise Valley proper. I was using zillow to only look at place north of shea + east of scottsdale rd, and south of shea + west of scottsdale rd. Are these good boundaries for what define central+north scottsdale, and PV proper?
We've had threads about this before. You will get some different opinions, even long time residents like me don't have the same parameters. Scottsdale is a very LONG narrow city. If your parameters were it, about three quarters of the city would be "south". I call everything above about Indian Bend/McCormick Parkway, "north", so I guess I have a "far north" too, north of FLW. Central extends down to Osborn, south below that.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:21 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,078,901 times
keep in mind the Stanford Rd area in the T of PV is one of those older areas first developed in the 1950s on land which then was close to the edge of the urban area....since it's in PV, land there is very valuable and very desirable - and many of those "crappy" houses are potential tear-downs valued for the land only (and will still be pricey).....

for planning and service purposes, some companies define "south" Scottsdale as anything south of around Shea or Indian Bend since the city is nearly 30 miles long...long-time residents are often incensed at this definition as, traditionally, South Scottsdale (south of Osborn) is the not-so-great part of town!!....

the boundaries of the T of PV wind around a bit, but you're pretty close about that....however, the town boundaries do not go all the way north to Shea in most areas....check google maps or similar for an accurate map of the true municipal boundaries of all these places....despite the Scottsdale "vibe" there, some are surprised that the City of Phoenix is all along the west side of Scottsdale Rd from Cactus north!!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:17 PM

286 posts, read 678,997 times
Smile My Dream Home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
Hi,

I am looking on making a purchase in the Phoenix-metro area by December. I have been on trips to Scottsdale and stayed at the montelucia and fairmont pricess resorts to get a feel of the area. Originally, I was interested in paradise valley, in particular, a development called "paradise reserve" that is currently under construction (Lincoln and 40th st). I was very excited about this project because it was in paradise valley (my top choice at the time), it was NEW, gated, beautiful views of camelback mountain, downtown, and close to scottsdale. I also enjoyed the beautiful drive on lincoln through paradise valley. However, the downsides I feel toward this development are: 1. it is right next to an old aging development called "Estate Antigua" which I am not crazy about. 2. There are a lot of "70s ranch style" homes just to the east of it. Actually, there are a lot of these 70s ranch homes all over PV which began to jade my perception of it- and as a result I started looking in Scottsdale. One thing I just don't think i can get use to is having a new built luxury home surrounded by aging homes. Also, I noticed a short drive away from Paradise Reserve (Stanford Dr) felt like a ghetto (but it was still Paradise Valley proper). I still like Paradise Valley and still considering it- but I can't get over how the town mixes building new homes around dated 70s style homes.

Okay, enough of my rant about PV. So, I took a second trip back to scottsdale and felt a little more impressed. Some areas that stood out to me were Canyon heights, Pima acre estates, Silverleaf, Windgate, Cactus Acres, and a few others. Areas that i did NOT like were McCormick/Gainy Ranch, StoneGate, and the east side of shea near the mayo hospital. To me, McCormick/Gainy Ranch was very dated and overpriced- however the one plus was it was right next to PV. Is this why McCormick/Gainy Ranch is so popular- due to it's proximity to Paradise Valley? Stone Gate felt old and dated, and surrounded again by several cheaper homes.

Based on my own analysis of the area, can anyone list pros/cons or ANY information regarding the areas that stood out to me- or other areas you recommend I check out. I am not looking for new construction, don't have the time, however if I end up renting I may consider it. My work is at at 56st and mayo and I am willing to spend $2M if the home meets my rather high expectations... I may need to consider renting if I can't find my dream home.
Vince,I am baffled by your statement,concerning a dream home?Most Americans are in hideous shape,financially,healthwise.Not all of us can live in such luxury.I have empathy for my felllow Arizonansdespite my riches...I have lived in Scottsdale for 68 years and am donating parts of my fortune to others so that they can live in Scottsdale.That being said purchase your home here,but thank God that you can young man.Good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area