Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM

13 posts, read 25,924 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this question has been asked before so I apologize in advance. I'm thinking of relocating next summer to the Mesa area. I am a LPN. I plan on doing a bridge program from LPN to RN once I'm settled in. Does anyone know the average salary for LPN's and is there schools around that do bridge programs?

Thank you,
Kathleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeany View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked before so I apologize in advance. I'm thinking of relocating next summer to the Mesa area. I am a LPN. I plan on doing a bridge program from LPN to RN once I'm settled in. Does anyone know the average salary for LPN's and is there schools around that do bridge programs?

Thank you,
Kathleen
The biggest bridge program would be (all) of the Maricopa community colleges (they're all affiliated + classes transfer between them). You take your pre-reqs at any of them, then apply at your favorite for "advanced placement" into block 2 or 3 of the RN program. You can go from ADN to BSN at ASU after that if you want. That's the least-expensive option.

The for-profit colleges have their own programs, at a significantly higher cost.

As for Lpn wages, they're all over the place - depending on your background. Figure $20- $30, tipped heavily towards the $20, unless you're a rock-star with lots of experience & skills. You're probably going to be working in LTC - we graduate a lot of nurses in the area, so the hospitals can be picky & most don't want LPNs.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. How is the job market for nurses in AZ?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:

With experience, it isn't bad- if you're new, expect a lot of rejection.

You really need to make a connection in-person for most jobs, sending resumes into the interweb won't get you hired here.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

You really need to make a connection in-person for most jobs, sending resumes into the interweb won't get you hired here.

That's understandable. My aunt lives in the Mesa area. Plan on going back out there in a few months. Thank you again

Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Quote:
I just had a colonoscopy yesterday and during recovery I was speaking to my nurse and I asked him what the current outlook in nursing is as I have a teenage daughter that has expressed some interest in nursing.

He stated that the market is tight if you don't have experience and said several of the RN's he graduated with could not get nursing jobs for two years after they graduated. He stated he just ran into one of his classmates that he graduated with at the mall and was told that person still was not able to land a nursing job. He said there are a lot of jobs if you have experience.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
Quote:

my wife is a new grad, and this is exactly what we are experiencing. it's taking longer than expected for her to find work.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
my wife is a new grad, and this is exactly what we are experiencing. it's taking longer than expected for her to find work.
Wow, that really sucks. I hope she finds something soon. I would of never guessed it would be difficult to find a nursing job in Arizona.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 AM

It really isn't the subject of the thread, but for the benefit of those who are considering getting an LPN license, I really need to say a couple of things.

The issue isn't *getting* an LPN license, nor is it *getting* a job. It's tough to get a license, and it's tough to get a job, but that isn't an insurmountable barrier. It is possible to make it through nursing school and get a job.

The real issue in Arizona is, what happens after you get that job & you try to do that job.

Hospitals in the area really don't want LPN's, so you're *going* to be working in Long-Term-Care.

Long-Term-Care facilities in Arizona are owned by a handful of for-profit companies that make their profits primarily by under-staffing those facilities.

There is no legal standard for how many patients a nurse can be assigned, and there are no repercussions for giving a nurse an impossible number of patients. Thirty patients is pretty common, and I know nurses that have had fifty patients assigned to them. That gives you a whopping two-four minutes per-patient to pass medications, assuming you did nothing else, and you will be doing other things. It might sound do-able, but remember, you're checking blood-sugar levels, giving shots, checking bp's & heart rates, crushing meds, giving supplements etc. during your medication pass. In the real-world, you're either taking shortcuts which endanger you license, or working through breaks and lunch periods, and working after the end of your shift - off the clock - which endangers your license.

If the nurse can't handle the patient load, the legal obligation is on the nurse to not accept the assignment. (and in the real-world, you'll be fired for refusing an assignment).

So we have an endless supply of new-grad LPN's, trying to keep those hard-to-get jobs, mega-companies with a profit-motive to under-staff, and no repercussions for putting these nurses into impossible situations.

If you're going to take a job as an LPN in Arizona, you should strongly consider some liability insurance. A policy from NSO is about a hundred bucks a year, and it'll at least pay for your lawyer to help you keep your license in the event something bad happens & you get sold-down the river. Standard operating procedure when something bad happens is to blame the nurse, fire them, and report them to the board of nursing. So you won't get unemployment (you were fired "for cause"), and you'll have to defend your license with $0 in income.

The board of nursing in AZ is primarily a disciplinary board, they are no friend to nurses. The law gives them little leeway for understandable, minor mistakes - so your license is at risk every day you work. If a complaint is filed against you, it is instantly put on the board's website, right next to your name - so finding another job is going to be difficult, and that complaint often takes a year or longer to resolve. The most "minor" complaints take the longest to resolve, so a nurse accused of stealing gets a "speedy" trial, and a nurse accused of a med error gets their license smeared for a year. Most attorneys that represent nurses before the board want a $2,000 retainer for minor cases.

Professional Liability Insurance for nurses, nursing medical malpractice.

The best bet is to stay in school, get the RN, and never go anywhere near LTC in Arizona.

Last edited by Zippyman; 07-25-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
It really isn't the subject of the thread, but for the benefit of those who are considering getting an LPN license, I really need to say a couple of things.

The issue isn't *getting* an LPN license, nor is it *getting* a job. It's tough to get a license, and it's tough to get a job, but that isn't an insurmountable barrier. It is possible to make it through nursing school and get a job.

The real issue in Arizona is, what happens after you get that job & you try to do that job.

Hospitals in the area really don't want LPN's, so you're *going* to be working in Long-Term-Care.

Long-Term-Care facilities in Arizona are owned by a handful of for-profit companies that make their profits primarily by under-staffing those facilities.

There is no legal standard for how many patients a nurse can be assigned, and there are no repercussions for giving a nurse an impossible number of patients. Thirty patients is pretty common, and I know nurses that have had fifty patients assigned to them. That gives you a whopping two-four minutes per-patient to pass medications, assuming you did nothing else, and you will be doing other things. It might sound do-able, but remember, you're checking blood-sugar levels, giving shots, checking bp's & heart rates, crushing meds, giving supplements etc. during your medication pass. In the real-world, you're either taking shortcuts which endanger you license, or working through breaks and lunch periods, and working after the end of your shift - off the clock - which endangers your license.

If the nurse can't handle the patient load, the legal obligation is on the nurse to not accept the assignment. (and in the real-world, you'll be fired for refusing an assignment).

So we have an endless supply of new-grad LPN's, trying to keep those hard-to-get jobs, mega-companies with a profit-motive to under-staff, and no repercussions for putting these nurses into impossible situations.

If you're going to take a job as an LPN in Arizona, you should strongly consider some liability insurance. A policy from NSO is about a hundred bucks a year, and it'll at least pay for your lawyer to help you keep your license in the event something bad happens & you get sold-down the river. Standard operating procedure when something bad happens is to blame the nurse, fire them, and report them to the board of nursing. So you won't get unemployment (you were fired "for cause"), and you'll have to defend your license with $0 in income.

The board of nursing in AZ is primarily a disciplinary board, they are no friend to nurses. The law gives them little leeway for understandable, minor mistakes - so your license is at risk every day you work. If a complaint is filed against you, it is instantly put on the board's website, right next to your name - so finding another job is going to be difficult, and that complaint often takes a year or longer to resolve. The most "minor" complaints take the longest to resolve, so a nurse accused of stealing gets a "speedy" trial, and a nurse accused of a med error gets their license smeared for a year. Most attorneys that represent nurses before the board want a $2,000 retainer for minor cases.

Professional Liability Insurance for nurses, nursing medical malpractice.

The best bet is to stay in school, get the RN, and never go anywhere near LTC in Arizona.
That is exactly how it is in Ohio where I work. Most LPN's work in LTC (that's where I work) It's nothing to have 30 to 35 residents to care for. Very sad. I work 12hr shifts 3 days a week. Mistakes happen often. It's a hard field and it's not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area