Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 AM

214 posts, read 401,372 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of reasonably priced Gemini twin homes for sale in Sun City and have a question for which I could not find a complete enough answer.

Is a Gemini twin home like a condo? Do you pay a fee for them to maintain everything on the exterior (roof, siding, etc.) of the home and the grounds? What exterior portions of the home, if any, would the owner be responsible for?

I know here at Sun City Carolina Lakes in South Carolina they have duplexes, (seems like same thing), and you pay a fee and they cover everything on the grounds and exterior of the home. The owner only has to obtain their own condo "apartment" insurance.

Any helpful comments/suggestions? We are looking heavily at the over 55 communities on our trip. Thanks.

Last edited by ILikeEveryone; 07-07-2012 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Spelling counts! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
You would have to review the HOA documents to be sure what is covered in a specific development. But, in general these homes include exterior maintenance in the HOA fee. Here's an example from one listing:

"Association Fee Incl: Exterior Mnt of Unit; Blanket Ins Policy; Water; Sewer; Garbage Collection; Pest Control; Front Yard Maint; Common Area Maint"

Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
There are many, many HOA's here in Sun City, so you could contact the realtor who has the listing and they should be able to answer your questions. I do know that with the condo's and twin homes (only two attached) that the HOA fee takes care of the exterior maintenance which includes the paint, roof and landscaping. Glad you will be looking here and we hope you enjoy it.

You may want to go out to see the Del Webb Festival development in SUrprise. It is a ways out but the homes are reasonable and the club house is awesome with tons of clubs starting up, including pottery. Have fun.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:01 PM

419 posts, read 758,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post
I see a lot of reasonably priced Gemini twin homes for sale in Sun City and have a question for which I could not find a complete enough answer.

Is a Gemini twin home like a condo? Do you pay a fee for them to maintain everything on the exterior (roof, siding, etc.) of the home and the grounds? What exterior portions of the home, if any, would the owner be responsible for?

I know here at Sun City Carolina Lakes in South Carolina they have duplexes, (seems like same thing), and you pay a fee and they cover everything on the grounds and exterior of the home. The owner only has to obtain their own condo "apartment" insurance.

Any helpful comments/suggestions? We are looking heavily at the over 55 communities on our trip. Thanks.
I recently purchased and moved into a small Gemini twin home here in the original Sun City. I am very happy to be here and am taking advantage of many of the ammenities offered here in Sun City.

Gemini twin homes are somewhat like a condo accept only 2 units are joined together. Duplex would also describe these units. Condos here in Sun City will be described as Apt. homes/townhomes. Usually 4 units are attached together and typically are located in gated court yard settings. There will be 2 rows of units facing each other seperated by a courtyard. Garages or carports will be attached to each unit facing an alley. Twin homes typically face a wide street with an attached garage or carport. There is a large green belt area seperating the back of the units with many citrus trees. There is also a greenbelt area between each twin home. Sometimes the greenbelt will be desert landscaped.

The description of what is included in HOA fees in rjrcm's post is pretty typical. However, roof repair & maintenance is not included in most or many of Gemini homes associations.

Prices for homes in Sun City have fallen over the past several years because of the boom & bust in Arizona. My home was a foreclosure but prices are beginning to increase. In addition, the exterior of the homes have been maintained very well but the interiors not so much. So prices sometimes do reflect the amount of work & expense to remodel the interiors or replace very old a/c units.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 AM

214 posts, read 401,372 times
Thanks for your comments.

Someone mentioned, (I cannot remember where I heard it), that these original Sun City homes are now called "atomic homes?" Is that accurate? And the big trend is for us younger baby boomers to buy them and redo them. Seems like it would be fun.

Anyway, also wanted to say thanks to all of you who over the months have provided me with a lot of helpful information. I will keep you posted on our impression of Phoenix. I have a feeling we may not get to do half of what we have planned, but hey, it's a vacation!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post
Thanks for your comments.

Someone mentioned, (I cannot remember where I heard it), that these original Sun City homes are now called "atomic homes?" Is that accurate? And the big trend is for us younger baby boomers to buy them and redo them. Seems like it would be fun.

Anyway, also wanted to say thanks to all of you who over the months have provided me with a lot of helpful information. I will keep you posted on our impression of Phoenix. I have a feeling we may not get to do half of what we have planned, but hey, it's a vacation!
There is a magazine called Atomic Ranch and it is for people who love mid century modern homes and has quite a cult following of younger people who love anything retro. We subscribe to it and enjoy it very much. These homes are becoming harder and harder to find and we are glad there is an increasing interest in keeping them on the planet and not turning them into pseudo mediterranean/rock covered disasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area