Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM

15 posts, read 22,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfRain View Post
We are sick of western Washington rain. Lucky to get two months a YEAR of some sun and summer, no joke! Need info on moving to Phoenix area.

What is the best Phoenix suburb? Scottsdale, etc?
I think it depends on your lifestyle. Gilbert is very family friendly, I think Chandler is too. Scottsdale/Tempe are great for people wanting dining and nightlife, and Central/Midtown Phoenix is really catching up to them. East Mesa, Surprise and Goodyear have great mountain views but you're sort of "in the country" out that far. It depends what you're into. If I was able to pick with money and commuting being no object I'd live in downtown/midtown Phoenix.

How is traffic in Phoenix and surrounding areas?
Not terrible by Seattle standards, although some Phoenicians will vehemently disagree with me. Traffic tends to flow into downtown phoenix and also into north scottsdale. The 60 is considered one of the worst for traffic.

How is the crime rate in the same above mentioned?
Varies by neighborhood. In general, the westside south of Bell Road is considered lousy, but there are still pockets that are just fine. Apache Junction is stereotyped as being full of methheads, but I know nice non-drug addicted people who live there in nice houses. South Scottsdale and North Tempe are considered the "low rent" areas of those neighborhoods. Downtown Mesa is pretty lousy (although I think they're turning it around, or trying to) but the rest of Mesa is perfectly fine.

Politics? Majority Democrat/Republican?
We're a very republican state. Joe Arpaio is some people's god. Our jails and prisons are killing inmates due to lack of attention but no one cares because they were in jail anyhow. Arizona's politicians frequently embarass the entire state, but that is JMHO. Just remember, Arizona refused to recognize MLK Day years ago.

Extreme weather conditions, besides the heat? (Tornado, etc)
other than heat and haboobs... no real weather issues, which is why there tend to be a lot of tech jobs here. Many companies setup their data centers here because there are no natural disasters, cheap rent and it's easy to get tech-skilled workers in/to Phoenix.

Do the majority of people seem friendly?
I am from the midwest so I don't think people are very friendly here, overall. I am used to a much friendlier environment. Having said that, there are a LOT of transplants here, and they all want to find new friends. So you will find friends! You just don't get a lot of random smiles and greetings from strangers.

Need all the information we can get, don't be afraid to let loose!
Your input on ANYTHING is much appreciated!
I currently own a salon locally, what is your favorite salon/spa?
Husband is commercial plumber. Many jobs around area?

Thanks!
We have a lot of out of work construction guys in this state. Plumbing is a skilled trade though so I hope he finds work.

My sister moved here 3 years ago and interviewed at salons, she had 8 yeras experience as a colorist. She was shocked to find that instead of the typical 45%-55% commissions she was used to earning in Illinois, the salons here rountinely only paid 20-35% commission. The only way to earn any "real" money was to rent a chair. She took an office job instead....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area