Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 11,783 times

Advertisements

I live in the Chicago area and want to move to AZ when my lease is up in June. It's just me; no kids, no family. I've been reading some of the other posts on here regarding people wanting to relocate as well and everyone is warning them to find a job first because the unemployment is bad in the state. My question is, how are you supposed to obtain a job there first when you live so far away? I'm in the process of trying to figure out the steps I need to take. What if I find a job but can't find a place to live in time? Or if I find a place to live, but no job? Is there any safe order of how relocating is supposed to happen? I am tired of a lifetime of winters here and need to get out, but I feel like the economy has us all trapped where we are. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM

159 posts, read 226,516 times
Try looking on the local craigslist.com to see what jobs are available. Then see if any of them would be willing to do an interview using Skype. Or save up some money and fly out ahead of time for a few weeks. Roundtrip flights from Fla have been around $300.

My husband & I are looking for a 2nd place here in the Phoenix area. I've been out since June, and he flies out about once/month while keeping the biz going at home. I put an ad on craigslist under "temp housing wanted" and found a million dollar house in the Pinnacle Peak area and the rent (including everything, internet, etc) was $850/month. This was available only from June-Oct. Ran another ad, and we found another beautiful house in a gated community in Gilbert (Val Vista Lakes) for $710/month for Nov. & Dec. and that includes everything!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:49 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,820 times
Oh gosh. There are too many people moving to AZ and its ruining the quality of life. Not to mention there are too few jobs available for the influx. Why not Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas or even Florida? Do you know how many people come here and expect the grass to be greener, and then move home when things dont work out? Most of them. And I among them. There are many places you may want to consider over Arizona. Trust me on that. Arizona doesnt need anymore people coming here---and taking their few jobs that are available.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,557,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaix232 View Post
I've been reading some of the other posts on here regarding people wanting to relocate as well and everyone is warning them to find a job first because the unemployment is bad in the state.

My question is, how are you supposed to obtain a job there first when you live so far away?

I am tired of a lifetime of winters here and need to get out, but I feel like the economy has us all trapped where we are.
Well, you're talking general common sense issues. You should find a job (if you need one) before you move. You also should find a customer first before starting a businesss, many people do not. If you don't need a job but instead just want one to keep busy. You can find a place to live first.

If you want to find a job from a distance you use the phone or the internet to locate and interview for a job.

If you find a job, you'll be able to find a place to live.

The economy doesn't have people trapped. Their inability to save money has them trapped. If you have money you don't need a job.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaix232 View Post
What if I find a job but can't find a place to live in time?
Strike this concern off your list. Half of the city is for sale or rent at dirt cheap prices. Presumably due to the fact that its not functioning very well right now.

Maybe consider looking at ads that need roommates so you can survive off of fast food or walmart wages until you figure something else out.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:33 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
The economy doesn't have people trapped. Their inability to save money has them trapped. If you have money you don't need a job.
Thats a real nugget of wisdom. You could also say that people have an inability to save money due to the economy. Some people had savings and were able to hold out for a really long time, but still the savings runs out if the economy cant replenish it.

No matter how you look at, I agree with the OP who said many people are trapped due to the economy, and I also agree with you that people exist with limitless supplies of money and can move about freely, but realistically why would someone with such a profile plant themselves here when they have the world to pick from?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:55 AM

109 posts, read 364,601 times
Let's face it, people are saying to stay wherever you are to keep from having competition for jobs when they do finally begin to return. I am reminded of 1990 when similar situation prevaled nationwide. I did however make a lot of money in the next three years selling foreclosed real estate.

I would agree with the poster who says if you have no kids, use a roommate. You get to stay in the area for cheap, able to take a minimum wage job until something else comes along. That is a good solution to determine if you want to stay in one place or not. I got stuck in GA for 12 months after knowing I wanted to leave because I signed a lease after getting lots of interest on my resume in Atlanta. Needless to say, all the job prospects when down the drain when the commute to my cheap house in the country turned out to be prohibitive to working in Buckhead. I couldn't afford a broken lease so I put up with it. But I am going back to finish my degree in Texas which is what I was going to do in the first place.

I am also seeking a job long distance. I am applying everywhere across the country but you can but rest assured that most jobs will only recruit from local area right now unless you have very technical skills. Me? I may go back for a math degree in a few years to become an actuary where there is a super high demand and high salary.

What ever you decide, good luck! You are not alone.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Oh gosh. There are too many people moving to AZ and its ruining the quality of life. Not to mention there are too few jobs available for the influx. Why not Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas or even Florida? Do you know how many people come here and expect the grass to be greener, and then move home when things dont work out? Most of them. And I among them. There are many places you may want to consider over Arizona. Trust me on that. Arizona doesnt need anymore people coming here---and taking their few jobs that are available.
So only people from out of state are taking open jobs here? Boy, what's wrong with our unemployed work force here? If people here can't compete for the open jobs, then, if that's the theory, THEY should be able to go to another state and get a job, taking it away from someone who lives in THAT state. It happens everywhere, don't make it sound like only people who move HERE are doing something evil, stealing from residents. I don't know your field, I don't know what jobs you are looking for that you are getting beaten out for, but this is an old broken record.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
So only people from out of state are taking open jobs here? Boy, what's wrong with our unemployed work force here? If people here can't compete for the open jobs, then, if that's the theory, THEY should be able to go to another state and get a job, taking it away from someone who lives in THAT state. It happens everywhere, don't make it sound like only people who move HERE are doing something evil, stealing from residents. I don't know your field, I don't know what jobs you are looking for that you are getting beaten out for, but this is an old broken record.
Why are you so turned off with the truth? Its true. Arizona has way too many people on social aid, often the result of unemployment, and its burdening the state's nearly bankrupt system. Coporations needs to hire local candidates first. Period. But if people continue to come here with their grass-is-greener attitude, while we already have hardly any jobs available, the influx will just create more competition for the people who live here. And who loses? Arizonans who were here B4. Its not rocket science. Thats one of the reasons I say that AZ is overpopulated. The more people, the more problems. AZ was 'designed' to be a sparcely populated desert, and it needs to remain that way. I just hope enough people are beginning to see the light and move back to hometown X and leave AZ alone. I know I will.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:00 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,344,991 times
Moderator cut: rude
My theory piggybacking off of Observers, is that if we have SUCCESSFUL businesses, which require talented people, then those businesses will do better, and in turn, the state will have more revenues to fix some of the problems of which you mention.

If those talented people are not available (as must be the case because I sure dont know of any employer who WOULDNT want to hire someone locally), then hiring people from out of area only makes sense. Also, if more highly skilled people are willing to take the risk and move here on the hopes they will get a job, and then DO (I realize - a big IF - and I always reccommend people try to find work before coming here), then eventually we WILL have that more skilled workforce that those in your camp say AZ must have.

I think most would agree I do not post overly positively here on CD, but yet the American (and AZ) dream is what makes this country great. To constantly berate people who want to try something new and better their own life and be happier, whether with a new, better job, or just a new, better environment, is something we should encourage in my view!

I actually would wish you those same opportunities of happiness on your move back to where you came from, Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-11-2009 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area