Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:43 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the input. To answer some of the questions:

- I believe my work location is going to be near the intersection of E Paradise Lane and N 76th St.
- The 45-minute range was to account for rush hour traffic. I have no desire to waste gas, but I've read some horror stories online about Phoenix area traffic. Then again, I drive 60 miles into Philly every day now, so the traffic in AZ may not be that bad! As mentioned, Google maps doesn't account for the traffic...
- The budget of 325 is just a guesstimate. We plan to rent for the first year and our monthly budget would be 2300 or less. I could go to 2500 for an exceptional place, but I don't see the need to do that if I don't have to. Ideally, a place with a view of something nicer than a bunch of cookie cutter houses would be our preference, but my wife wants to be close to schools, grocery stores, malls, etc. as well.

Once I get the definate go-ahead from work (hopefully this week), I'll probably get in touch with a local realtor. I'm just looking to be prepared at this point. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
If it were me, I'd rent a less expensive home and put the money towards the house purchase. In those magic zip codes, I would imagine you could find a perfectly good rental for 1500-2000.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Thanks for all the input. To answer some of the questions:

- I believe my work location is going to be near the intersection of E Paradise Lane and N 76th St.
- The 45-minute range was to account for rush hour traffic. I have no desire to waste gas, but I've read some horror stories online about Phoenix area traffic. Then again, I drive 60 miles into Philly every day now, so the traffic in AZ may not be that bad! As mentioned, Google maps doesn't account for the traffic...
- The budget of 325 is just a guesstimate. We plan to rent for the first year and our monthly budget would be 2300 or less. I could go to 2500 for an exceptional place, but I don't see the need to do that if I don't have to. Ideally, a place with a view of something nicer than a bunch of cookie cutter houses would be our preference, but my wife wants to be close to schools, grocery stores, malls, etc. as well.

Once I get the definate go-ahead from work (hopefully this week), I'll probably get in touch with a local realtor. I'm just looking to be prepared at this point. Thanks!
You lucked out on work location. It's in one of the best, most desirable areas of the valley. And you can afford to live within a short distance.

Given your requirements, work location, and budget, I'd also vote for the 85254 ZIP code. It's directly west of Scottsdale Rd between Shea and Bell. Some of it is in the City of Scottsdale. That ZIP code is close to everything in your short list of requests, and you should be able to find something in your price range for both rent and purchase. Many homes with pools. The primary reason I suggest this is that you may be able to find a nice house within a 5 minute drive to work... or as close as a leisurely walk on a nice day. If you aren't familiar with the area, check it out. The shopping is pretty much unbeatable, very close to schools, etc.

Beyond that, I'd suggest radiating outwards from your work in a search for a place. You should be able to find something in the neighborhoods in 85254 or in some parts of Scottsdale, within 15-20 minutes. The position that you are in right now is fortunate, because you have a great work location, and the option to live in a great area, within a close distance, meeting all of the requirements. I would take advantage of that opportunity.

Edit: the lot size requirement may present a challenge. You can find it, the question is whether you can afford it close to amenities, and within your budget. Keep in mind that most homes out here aren't set back as far from the street as they are back east. So although you may not have the total lot size that you expect in an affordable asphalt-roofed, vinyl sided, 2 story colonial (which is also an unreasonable distance from work) back east, you'll find that backyard sizes are probably similar out here. It's just that there are very small front yards. IMO, most homes and communities are much more livable out here, than back east.

Last edited by 43north87west; 03-12-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
So everyone, thanks for all the advice. Here's the latest news. After originally getting cancelled, my employer did an about-face and my transfer to Scottsdale is now official. I was out for a visit last week and met the people I'll be working with. Eventually the talk turned to homes, and a couple of folks in my office live in Anthem and recommended it. My wife (who was home in PA) looked up rentals in Anthem and found one she liked, so I took a ride up there and looked the area over. We're very interested in moving there and I have a realtor already helping us. And yes, I'm aware of the issue with the water bills east of I17. Here's my question...how's the traffic? I understand 17 was recently widened. I drove up there at about 6:30 or so and I sailed up with no problem on a Thursday evening. The folks in the office said it takes them about 40 minutes during rush hour. It took me about 30 to get there from North Scottsdale. If 10 minutes is the difference at rush hour, to me that's nothing. Opinions?

PS...Anticipated move date late June/July 1. Can't wait!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Anthem????? Yes, it's pretty out there, but why in the world would you go all the way out there, at the price of gas? You will be driving to entertainment venues, significant shopping, everything. One accident on the freeway will lengthen that commute considerably. Rush hours can vary a lot depending on exactly what time you are traveling. And, don't go by what people SAY about how long it takes them. We see that here all the time. People say they can get from X to Y in Z time. Yes, if they use a helicopter. I'd find a rental in that 85254 ZIP and save my money, and my valuable time.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Hello All,

My employer may be transferring me to Scottsdale this summer (currently in PA). I'm excited about this because I love AZ, but I haven't been there in about 25 years. I'm looking for suggestions on where to look for a home. I'll be working in North Scottsdale near the Family Fun park. I have a family with both a teenager and two small children. Hoping to find a 4 bedroom home with a pool and at least a 1/4 acre lot. We'd like to be in a safe area, with a reasonable daily commute (45 min or less during rush hour - shorter the better), good schools, access to shopping, typical family stuff. Initially we'll be renting, but our budget to buy after a year or so will likely be around 325K.

Any advice anyone could provide regarding areas to look at (Scottsdale? Cave Creek? etc?) and any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If you are working in North Scottsdale, did you consider North Phoenix? I think you can get more bang for your buck in North Phoenix. 325K is typically low for Scottsdale and you will have to sacrafice a lot to get a home for that price. I agree that you can get one but when you see what you will give up and the neighborhood, you might prefer to live in parts of North Phoenix. And Scottsdale is huge. North and South Scottsdale are like two different cities. North Scottsdale is closer to North Phoenix than it is South Scottsdale. Look into the Desert Ridge area. Or another option is to buy a nice condo in North Scottsdale. The condos in North Scottsdale tend to be new, well kept and upscale. I normally don't endorse condos but I know people who live in condos in North Scottsdale and I would make an exception in that case.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
I agree with searching in the northern parts of Phoenix with the Scottsdale zips.

Living right in Scottsdale tends to be very expensive, you pay dearly for the prestige associated with it.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,033 times
Quote:
So everyone, thanks for all the advice. Here's the latest news. After originally getting cancelled, my employer did an about-face and my transfer to Scottsdale is now official. I was out for a visit last week and met the people I'll be working with. Eventually the talk turned to homes, and a couple of folks in my office live in Anthem and recommended it. My wife (who was home in PA) looked up rentals in Anthem and found one she liked, so I took a ride up there and looked the area over. We're very interested in moving there and I have a realtor already helping us. And yes, I'm aware of the issue with the water bills east of I17. Here's my question...how's the traffic? I understand 17 was recently widened. I drove up there at about 6:30 or so and I sailed up with no problem on a Thursday evening. The folks in the office said it takes them about 40 minutes during rush hour. It took me about 30 to get there from North Scottsdale. If 10 minutes is the difference at rush hour, to me that's nothing. Opinions?

PS...Anticipated move date late June/July 1. Can't wait!
Google maps estimates 37 minutes. I'm assuming that's outside rush hour. I would expect that to be at least an hour in rush hour but I don't live over there so your coworkers probably know best.

I understand the appeal of those outlying bedroom communities but I'm glad you're renting first. That commute would annoy me. Though I know some people enjoy the car time... no work, no family, just you and your radio.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Try Mesa also. The commute is better.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Try Mesa also. The commute is better.
Better than what? Better to stay in the 85254 area than go to Mesa. Northeast Mesa is a nice enough area, but that NE Phoenix/Scottsdale area is nicer, and the less time spent in the car and guzzling gas the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area