Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 21,561 times

Advertisements

Hello, Ill be moving from Chicago to Arizona, I'll be working in chandler and I've narrowed it down to Scottsdale, Chandler, or Gilbert. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any apartments or which areas would be better for a single woman with no kids, I prefer quiet and safe . Not looking to spend over 1200.00 for a 1 or 2 bedroom. I was focusing on Scottsdale however and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM

Location: Orange County>Inland Empire>Phoenix>Flagstaff>Chicagoland
51 posts, read 140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyblue1 View Post
Hello, Ill be moving from Chicago to Arizona, I'll be working in chandler and I've narrowed it down to Scottsdale, Chandler, or Gilbert. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any apartments or which areas would be better for a single woman with no kids, I prefer quiet and safe . Not looking to spend over 1200.00 for a 1 or 2 bedroom. I was focusing on Scottsdale however and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Misty,

I moved from Chicago myself. I haven't been here long, but I can tell you this; move as close as you can to work. You car will thank you, your wallet with gas will thank you, and your body will thank you for avoiding the stress. Now, that goes without saying that Phoenix rush hour traffic is no where near Chicago's. But, Phoenix doesn't have the public transit options like Chicago does either. Scottsdale is a tad bit on the expensive side depending where you want to live in Scottsdale. But, if I were you, I would look around Chandler. However, the night life if you're into that (I for one am not). You will find that in Tempe with the younger crowd, and then in Scottsdale if you are a few years removed from college. I have a great deal in Scottsdale though. I had a family friend renting out a room, and I get it for $400 including utilities. I am about a quick 3-5 minute drive from Fashion Square, Old Town, and the whole scene around there. If I knew what I know now, I would probably live in Tempe, more people my own age. Just my two cents.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,973 times
Chandler is a good option for what the OP is searching for.

I used to live by the fashion mall in Chandler near the 101 Loop and Chandler Boulevard, lots of choices for apartments, condominiums, and single-family homes in that area.

It's a pretty safe area, mixed ages, various lifestyles, and nearby all the shopping a person could want.

Scottsdale has better choices for high-end shopping but it's very expensive there compared to Chandler.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM

122 posts, read 272,710 times
If you'll be working in Chandler, then I agree there are a number of good choices without the need for a longer commute. Does anyone know where Misty can scan Chandler crime reports, similar to the police blotter in the Ahwatukee Foothill News? I'm not bashing apartment dwellers having been one myself, but I've noticed higher theft and other issues around some complexes. For $1,200 you might be able to find a nice, small 3 bdrm house.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Location: Orange County>Inland Empire>Phoenix>Flagstaff>Chicagoland
51 posts, read 140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Chandler is a good option for what the OP is searching for.

I used to live by the fashion mall in Chandler near the 101 Loop and Chandler Boulevard, lots of choices for apartments, condominiums, and single-family homes in that area.

It's a pretty safe area, mixed ages, various lifestyles, and nearby all the shopping a person could want.

Scottsdale has better choices for high-end shopping but it's very expensive there compared to Chandler.
I agree wholeheartedly. There would be no way I could swing Scottsdale if I didn't have the deal I do now. A great area don't get me wrong, but if you are still as relatively young as I am Scottsdale isn't all that appealing. Maybe if I was settling down or was rich and had a second home there, ha. They have all the ritzy shopping, dining, and night clubs there. However, these don't interest me all that much. I would rather be apart of a tight knight community. The only thing I truly like about Scottsdale is its proximity to Camelback. But, the only time I can head up there is the weekends, and man is it jammed during that time.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Thank you everyone for all your input and feedback it really has helped I'm going to research chandler a little more but if I should decide to go with Scottsdale is north or south Scottsdale better?.. @southwestchicagoan I'm 31 so I'm definitely looking for something more relaxing being from Chicago I've had quite a bit of excitement however I love shopping its my past time .. Just a little piece and quiet will do . @AZtrails when you say home are you saying rent or purchase? because I wanted to try and live in Arizona for about a year or two before I purchase to make sure I learn the areas to see whats best for me and make sure I fall in Love with Arizona.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM

122 posts, read 272,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyblue1 View Post
Thank you everyone for all your input and feedback it really has helped I'm going to research chandler a little more but if I should decide to go with Scottsdale is north or south Scottsdale better?.. @southwestchicagoan I'm 31 so I'm definitely looking for something more relaxing being from Chicago I've had quite a bit of excitement however I love shopping its my past time .. Just a little piece and quiet will do . @AZtrails when you say home are you saying rent or purchase? because I wanted to try and live in Arizona for about a year or two before I purchase to make sure I learn the areas to see whats best for me and make sure I fall in Love with Arizona.
North Scottsdale is newer, has plenty of shopping, but rush hour commutes to Chandler can be sluggish. Old Town or South Scottsdale is more mature, closer to Fashion Square and the galleries, a quicker commute, and the housing should be a little better value. (I'm out of touch with the Scottsdale market, so don't hold me to this.). It's really a matter of personal choice. Having grown up in Scottsdale, my advice is to keep your mind open and give other areas a fair chance.

Some of the realtors on the forum can give you a more educated update, but you should be able to find a 3 bdrm rental house in the East Valley or Mt Park Ranch for $1,200 - $1,300. Probably in the 1,200 - 1,500 sq ft range on a 5,000 - 6,000 sq ft lot.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 PM

@AZtrails thank-you so much for everything it has helped so much and I'm definitely going to keep an open mind and look into those Realtors.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Here is a nice place in Ocotillo, Chandler. Right down the street from the mall, Ocotillo lakes, shopping, very quiet.
Waterside at Ocotillo Apartments For Rent in Chandler, Arizona - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com
Here is another in the same area. It's a nice area for sure.
Ocotillo Springs Apartments, 825 West Queen Creek Road Chandler, AZ - Apartments for Rent on ApartmentGuide.com | Chandler Arizona | 1179

Old 02-25-2012, 04:19 PM

@poppyseed I like it allot it has everything I need space and the price is remarkable compared to Chicago.. I'm going to check it out . Thanks Allot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area