Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM

21 posts, read 62,599 times

Advertisements

Hi, My family is moving to Phoenix in September and the only thing I'm gonna miss about the East Coast is the beaches. I have read about Puerto Penasco beach and that it is considered "Arizona's beach". Do a lot of people in AZ really go there? If anyone on here has, did you enjoy it? Was it clean and safe? I was thinking it looked like a great place to take my kids in the summer to the beach when we live out there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 AM

102 posts, read 578,333 times
Puerto Penasco is right over the border in Mexico.. It was a fun place to go to like 6 years ago. I think with all the crime thats going on down there, its been keeping allot of people away. Your better off driving to San Diego. The drive down there from Phoenix to Mexico is little over 4 hours, and SD is about 5 1/2.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Depends what you want in a beach

I prefer Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) over SD - in large part because I like to be in the water and am looking for less beach scene and more beach

There are a couple different ways you can stay in rocky point - you can get a motel near the actual town center, this is on the edge of a beach but the area is mainly rocky .... you have the market, some shops, restaurants, bars, etc .... a lot more activity here, more apt to run into students & young people partying, etc.

The other is to rent out a condo/room along the beach ... you won't have as convenient access to town, restaurants, etc ... but most do have some basic services, a restaurant, etc on property

The later is more my speed and what I'll be doing when my kids get old enough ... my wife or I haven't been down there in a while - but it's nice to wakeup, spend the early morning looking out on the beach, head to town and pick up some fresh seafood from the market for dinner and maybe a quick bite for lunch - spend the afternoon on the beach and then relax the night away

There are also little towns around rocky point that some swear by, but I don't know much about

Unfortunately you do need to stay aware - generally you will be OK though - have a reliable vechicle, buy mexican auto insurance before crossing over, don't look for drugs or trouble and you'll generally be OK

Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
I've been to Puerto Penasco once with a group of friends. Walking back to my hotel alone one night I made the mistake of going through the 'locals' part of town. Consequently I was thrown to the ground and mugged in an alley. He didn't get much because I had stashed the contents of my wallets in my shoes so I only lost a watch and some sunglasses. I take partial blame for straying from my friends in an unfamiliar town but I have no plans to ever go back. I now drive the extra hour and go to San Diego.

On the same night I was mugged another friend was stopped by the Federales, searched and they took about $50 from his wallet. Very corrupt place with no one to turn to if you run into trouble.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I spend summers in Mexico, south of guadalajara, and we drive there. Obviously, we are aware of the crime issues, but we keep them in perspective.

That saud, PP has never been one of my favorite places to go. And forget about it in the summer - WAY too hot and humid. Spring and fall are nice weather.

For beach, we prefer a slightly longer but safer drive to San Carlos. But even that will no satisfy what I suspect you want.

Best advice is enjoy what your new environment offers and detach from your prior pursuits. Consider beach time a vacation pleasure, then put up the bucks to go somewhere wonderful.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,728 times
We used to go to Rocky Point every year. I'm done. The 3 hour wait in line at the border is reason enough to not go. The prices aren't low anymore. It's not particularly safe now. I'll take California.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
I too would drive the extra hour and go to San Diego and I've made it to San Diego in less than 5 hours so don't be intimidated by the distance, it's really not a bad drive at all.

Rocky Point aka Puerto Penasco is really for college kids who who are underage and want to drink and do drugs (smoke pot). There are two types of law enforcement there. They have local police and Federalis. The local police make up the majority of the law enforcement and they are corrupt. They let a lot of things slide but you have to grease their palms and pay them $20. They target American party goers so if you are with your family and are not driving drunk at midnight, you have nothing to worry about.

For many Arizonans, Rocky Point was/is an escape. You have the fun of going to a foreign country, eating street tacos and fish tacos, and engaging in cheap partying.

However, if I was wanting exposure to the beach and had a family, I would go to San Diego or L.A.

Regarding crime, there was a lot of fear with the Mexican cartel gang wars a few years ago. Since then the negative hype has died down and a lot of people are enjoying Rocky Point again but you still have to be cautious. If you go, I would certainly go with a large group of people.

Overall, it's changed a lot. In the 90's and early 2000's, it was very happy go lucky. There were no long waits at the border stop. They wouldn't even ask for ID most of the time. The prices were really cheap for both hotel/condo and food. Liquor was really cheap. It was a bigger hole in the wall than it is now but it had its charm. The local police used to let everything go and understood Americans came down there to party.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 PM

168 posts, read 456,416 times
Depending on where you are from back east, the SoCal beaches might not satisfy you. The water is wicked cold, and the beaches aren't nearly as nice as some in FL, or the OBX. My opinion, of course. Rocky Point is more similar to those beaches. The water is warm and the beach is great. In the past, we rented a house right on the beach in a "gated" community. I use that term lightly b/c the "gate" consisted of a guy in a "guard house" on the road in. There was no added security. But the beach was great and they have some amazing homes there. We had to cut our stay short b/c one of our kids fell and cut his chin and he needed stitches, which ain't gonna happen for us in Mexico. I like my American hospitals

There are condos in town you can stay at, and loads of homes on the beach you can rent. I know many people who go every year and have a great time and have never had any problems. However, we don't go anymore. The frequent reports of crime are frightening. Yeah, there's crime in CA, but I have (slightly) more confidence in our police. For us, the positives of Mexico don't outweigh the negatives. SoCal is close and, while the beaches aren't the OBX, they're still very nice. We tend to go north of San Diego b/c we don't like the crowds there. But there are tons of beaches to choose from. And you've got the amusement parks, etc. to entertain the kids if they get bored with the beach.

If you do go to Mexico, I'd recommend educating yourself about protocol and going with a group and caravan down. Don't stop anywhere along the way. And prepare for waits at the border, especially on holiday weekends - NOT fun! Odds are, you'll be fine. Good luck with your move.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,482 times
My family started coming to Rocky Point - Puerto Penasco - in 1948 and still love it and find it safe. Retired and live here full time now. Road from Lukeville to PP about an hours drive, good road and well patrolled. Like anywhere you are, you have to use common sense and caution (any town in the US can and does have crime - like going to a Safeway in Tucson on a Saturday morning).

Beaches are wonderful - clean, safe, great for kids, not crowded (lots of families). Water is warm, especially in summer. Prices are much cheaper then San Diego and a lot more for your money.

We have always found the people warm, friendly and very helpful.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
I loved going there when I lived closer to it. I rented a condo right off the beach - it was amazing! The penthouse suites are wonderful to stay at and the pools and beach was very nice. I went to the same place each time. I prefer it over SD beaches. I go there to relax, read, sun so don't make many trips to town unless a restaurant at dinner. I don't drink but notice that most partake in those festivities all day long - young and old.
I have gotten pulled over several times and the checked the trunk and just let me on. The border is quick...I'm a blonde so not much of a problem, I have noticed that my darker complicated friends are questioned in more detail but all has ended well. I think I'd go back despite the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area