Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,872,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Actually, the NWS showed that average highs went down in the latest 10 year period that temps were adjusted. Nightime highs have indeed increased - the heat island effectis a nightime temp phenomenon. But really, this thread should be about giving information to the OP, not correcting your uninformed and inaccurate statements. Why don't you sit this one out? I think your intent is just to paint a negative picture and not be constructive.
Moderator cut: snip

Phx is brutal in the summer. When it's 110F - 115F, it's brutally hot. Add the intense UV rays the desert brings, it is not for the faint of heart. There is a reason why 2 out 5 people move back out of Phoenix after moving and living here for a few years. Phx has a high rate of people leaving. The summer weather takes it toll on people.

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-02-2011 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 07:09 AM

24,319 posts, read 13,171,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleFromHell View Post
That's the part of town I grew up in (SoBo) - very familiar with it. Tulsa's so fickle about restaurants that I think the one you're speaking of is gone, maybe? As much as I'd like to live in a similar part of town, I'm also being a realist and I know we can get more for our money (and better schools) by going out a bit.
Agreed. You will like the Phoenix area so much better. A much more vibrant restaurant scene. Tulsa earned a reputation of being chain-driven, delivering homogenized I-can-get-this-in-Des Moines-too menus. In 2000 or 2001 when the Krispy Kreme came to town the Tulsa blogs were waxing poetic about it. Meanwhile, great and imaginative places like SoBo Loco (was the name of the tapas restaurant) came and went largely ignored. Yes, the Valley has its share of Applebee's, Chili's, etc. However, there's also so much more. If you like Mexican food... but that's another forum.

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-02-2011 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tags

Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM

21 posts, read 38,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Agreed. You will like the Phoenix area so much better. A much more vibrant restaurant scene. Tulsa earned a reputation of being chain-driven, delivering homogenized I-can-get-this-in-Des Moines-too menus. In 2000 or 2001 when the Krispy Kreme came to town the Tulsa blogs were waxing poetic about it. Meanwhile, great and imaginative places like SoBo Loco (was the name of the tapas restaurant) came and went largely ignored. Yes, the Valley has its share of Applebee's, Chili's, etc. However, there's also so much more. If you like Mexican food... but that's another forum.
Oh, yeah, we love Mexican food (well, Americanized Mexican). I'm sure we'll be fine there. Fiance loves anything spicy, and I like the chili flavor, just not so much the heat.

Tulsa's put forth a big push in the past few years for more local restaurants, and we've now got some local entrepreneurs and chefs that are making a nice difference in the food scene. More emphasis on fresh and local, and things you can't get at the chains. Most places are in downtown (Blue Dome District), Brookside, or Midtown. Elote Cafe, Dilly Deli, Sonoma Bistro, Local Table, Biga, Palace Cafe, Joe Momma's Pizza are all really good.

And because this is a thread about Phoenix and not Tulsa... I'm really looking forward to checking out the Phoenix restaurant scene, but Fiance just wants to know if there's a Buffalo Wild Wings in town. I really need to expand his horizons, as I'm much more of a foodie than he is. We usually end up at boring chain restaurants because the kid is such a picky eater. Anyone know if Alice Cooper's restaurant is any good? I could probably get him in there, just because of the owner.

Also looking forward to having a Trader Joe's at my disposal, and more good quality fresh produce year round than we have here. Kind of boring to live on frozen veggies and imported bananas 6 months out of the year.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 PM

24,319 posts, read 13,171,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleFromHell View Post
Oh, yeah, we love Mexican food (well, Americanized Mexican)... I'm really looking forward to checking out the Phoenix restaurant scene, but Fiance just wants to know if there's a Buffalo Wild Wings in town. I really need to expand his horizons, as I'm much more of a foodie than he is. We usually end up at boring chain restaurants because the kid is such a picky eater. Anyone know if Alice Cooper's restaurant is any good? I could probably get him in there, just because of the owner.

Also looking forward to having a Trader Joe's at my disposal, and more good quality fresh produce year round than we have here. Kind of boring to live on frozen veggies and imported bananas 6 months out of the year.
Buffalo Wild Wings are in the Valley. I know there's one near Arizona State University in Tempe.

I couldn't tell you if Alice Cooper's is any good; hopefully better than Toby Keith's in OKC.

There are Trader Joe's in the Phoenix area, one at Scottsdale and Lincoln. (My wife and I often stay at the Cottonwoods right nearby when visiting PHX.) There are also World Markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area