Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:09 AM

30 posts, read 61,788 times

Advertisements

Beautiful pool, and you back up to a view.
Bet that's hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:36 AM

24,326 posts, read 13,180,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bie792 View Post
Beautiful pool, and you back up to a view.
Bet that's hard to find.
I miss that view and pool. Been a while since that was taken.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM

363 posts, read 930,707 times
Hello all,

Very informative thread as I own my first pool as well. We have been new owners since October and so far everything is working good. We had a pool service demo for a month from a local business owner who came and attended the pool once a week. At the end of the month he gave us some advices as well as his fee schedules. Being that my wife is a stay home mom, we decided that a pool maintenance service will not be needed.
One of the advices was to drain the pool as we were not sure how long the water has been in the pool. He made it sound as an easy project however I am not sure how to proceed. I know there are different water rates for winter and summer. Also, I know that I have to rent a sump pump and drain the water into our sewer system which I am not sure where is located. My main question however, how much will the filing of a 12,000 gallons pool cost us in Mesa? Some of my neighbors mentioned $10/100 gallons, which doesn't sound too bad... I guess.

I appreciate any help with this question.

Lev

Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
In Mesa, it's legal to drain your pool into the yard or storm drains, or at least that's what my first pool builder told me in 2000 and what I've done ever since. The neighbors all do, too.

We just drained/filled ours like last month. It's small, not sure the gallonage. I think the water bill went up around $60 but I think that month I also had a fountain filler stick in the wrong position and the fountain overfilled overnight. Not sure how much that added to the bill. I bet if you call the city they can give you a good estimate of what your's will cost to fill.

I would drain it. It is easy. The pump rental is cheap and they usually give you the long hose you need. It needs done every few years, I believe. They told me the stabilizers build up in the water and then it's hard to keep the chlorine level steady. Maybe take a water sample to your pool supply store and ask them if it's time to drain/refill. I don't know if they can test for built up stabilizer or whatever else builds up. They should rent the pumps there, too, I think. Or if you really don't want to mess with it, just see how you do without it. I know our's gets hard to keep looking right when the water's too old.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:27 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
If you drain and fill now it will greatly increase your sewer bill next year unless you appeal. The cities including Mesa determine sewer charges based on winter use in December-March period. So if you use 12K gallons to refill your pool, they will interpret this as 12K down the sewer each month. Sewer rates are higher than water! You will need to appeal the new rate by filing the proper paperwork come spring and then they will adjust. Make sure to keep your receipts for the pump rental to prove you filled the pool.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the good advice. I will consult with the city of Mesa and see what is an optimal time to do the water switch.

On a second note, I came across a Hayward 400k btu portable pool heater on craigslist. Do any of you recommend something like it? From time to time we get visitors from Montana and Jersey during the winter. On days like we had this week... it would be great to enjoy the pool. The water temp is at 49F today...

Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
Most people out here don't heat their pools. I've never done it but I've heard it costs a lot to bring it up to even 70 and then it's not all that comfortable, if it's say 70 outside. The heaters themselves don't cost much, it's running them that's prohibitive.

Draining a Pool

My first pool man steered me wrong, or things have changed. See the Mesa rules above. No draining into the street or storm drain. You can do it into your yard if you do it slow enough to contain the water. That link discusses the reason to not do it before April, too.

I don't know how you find your sewer cap but if it help, ours has a black, plastic cap, maybe 6-8" in diameter, flush with the ground in the front yard.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 PM

Great info Freddy, thanks!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 PM

157 posts, read 357,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
Hello all,

Very informative thread as I own my first pool as well. We have been new owners since October and so far everything is working good. We had a pool service demo for a month from a local business owner who came and attended the pool once a week. At the end of the month he gave us some advices as well as his fee schedules. Being that my wife is a stay home mom, we decided that a pool maintenance service will not be needed.
One of the advices was to drain the pool as we were not sure how long the water has been in the pool. He made it sound as an easy project however I am not sure how to proceed. I know there are different water rates for winter and summer. Also, I know that I have to rent a sump pump and drain the water into our sewer system which I am not sure where is located. My main question however, how much will the filing of a 12,000 gallons pool cost us in Mesa? Some of my neighbors mentioned $10/100 gallons, which doesn't sound too bad... I guess.

I appreciate any help with this question.

Lev
What kind of filter do you have? If it is a sand filter or DE filter, it is possible to drain the pool with your pool pump through the backwash hose. I have drained my pool twice doing it this way. You just have to make sure you turn the suction off to the skimmer and direct it to the main drain on the floor. You can't shut it off either while it is draining otherwise it is next to impossible to get it primed and moving again.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 PM

REEDUS,

I got four humonguous filters(at least 3 1/2 feet long) under the Paddock housing hood. I cleaned them after we purchased the home and it took me 2 days to get the sand out of them... Not sure if that's what you asked about or not. The pool has the PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system if that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area