Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:58 PM

53 posts, read 140,050 times

Advertisements

So long story short, me and my girlfriend plan on getting an apartment together at the end of summer. We both make $8.25 an hour and plan on going to school full time and work 30-40 hours a week (Keep in mind I might get a promotion making $ 9.75 an hour but its not for sure yet). We want rent a one bedroom apartment somewhere in North Phoenix. Apartments close to where I live now have a rate of $550 monthly for a single bedroom. I just want to know on average how much it costs to survive in this city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 AM

363 posts, read 929,650 times
Metal,

I am new to the Phoenix scene so here is what I learned so far... The farther you go from phoenix, the cheaper the rent. First year we rented a 3 bedroom home in the Johnson Ranch community(San Tan Valley) for $800. I believe the two bedroom homes were $600 or so. Gas, water, electricity, phone, cable and internet came to about an extra $500/month during the cool months. Our electric bills for the monsoon season were $300 and up. Now, you didn't mention the number of vehicles in the household and insurance is a plus. Groceries for two people are in the vicinity of $400/month. With $2000 per month combined net salaries, you will make it from paycheck to paycheck, but that's about it... I hope this helps.

ps: I didn't touch on the cost of fuel, a pretty sizeable expense.

Last edited by matyoka; 01-07-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 01:06 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Depends on your lifestyle. Same as any city. Don't do drugs, smoke, or drink booze, and you should make it fine.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Depends on your lifestyle. Same as any city. Don't do drugs, smoke, or drink booze, and you should make it fine.
Agreed, very had question to answer without knowing your lifestyle. Do you live within your means or do you need the 75" flatscreen TV and drive a Mercedes on your $2000/month income?

I personally would find it very hard to survive on $2000/month but that is because of my lifestyle. There are thousands and thousands surviving on that amount, or less, in Phoenix so it can be done if you adjust your lifestyle accordingly.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:16 PM

Totally agree with the last 2 posters.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM

157 posts, read 453,202 times
You should be fine. When I first moved here a couple years ago, I made $9.25/hour. I got a studio apartment in an older complex. But it was close to everything, was clean and well maintained, quiet and I felt safe. Also all utilities were included, which was a big deal. My car was paid off also. I was able to live just fine. I didn't worry about having cash for things. But I also did not go out much, cooked a lot of my own meals, etc.

Finding the right place to live is important. If you can get a decent place, centrally located for your work and play and includes utilities, you're golden. The electric can get crazy out here and not having to worry about that bill is nice.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 PM

What landlord is crazy enough to include utilities these days? It's a great gesture, but finding an apartment like that will be very very hard.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:21 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
What landlord is crazy enough to include utilities these days? It's a great gesture, but finding an apartment like that will be very very hard.
There actually are a fair number I see around town that include utilities, usually electric and water. They tend to be older places and aren't always the nicest places, though.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
It's my understanding that most places that pay for utilities also control the thermostat, which might not work out well if you want to keep the apartment cooler than the owner is willing to pay for.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGrand View Post
So long story short, me and my girlfriend plan on getting an apartment together at the end of summer. We both make $8.25 an hour and plan on going to school full time and work 30-40 hours a week (Keep in mind I might get a promotion making $ 9.75 an hour but its not for sure yet). We want rent a one bedroom apartment somewhere in North Phoenix. Apartments close to where I live now have a rate of $550 monthly for a single bedroom. I just want to know on average how much it costs to survive in this city?
The combined income eclipses what I make. I don't live like a king but I make it. Along Bell you will find plenty of places offering deals. In this economy you're likely to find deals all over if you're willing to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area