Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,762 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to relocate from Chicago to Mesa, Arizona....I'm trying to find out if Mesa is a good city to raise kids at if not where in Arizona would be a safe, drug reduced, non- roach infested place to live in Arizona, any advice..... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
Depends on what part of Mesa you plan to live, but if you want safe/family friendly then you should look at Gilbert.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
There are LOTS of cities in Arizona that would fit that definition, including but not limited to those here in the metro Phoenix area. Tell us a bit more about what you are looking for, whether it's anywhere in AZ or you are really just looking at the Phoenix area.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Depends on what part of Mesa you plan to live, but if you want safe/family friendly then you should look at Gilbert.
There are many areas of Mesa that are clean, safe and family friendly.

But I agree with Observer53 (as usual) - why are you ONLY looking at Mesa?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke02 View Post
My family and I are planning to relocate from Chicago to Mesa, Arizona....I'm trying to find out if Mesa is a good city to raise kids at if not where in Arizona would be a safe, drug reduced, non- roach infested place to live in Arizona, any advice..... Thanks
There are areas of Mesa that are good. The area around Val Vista Drive between Brown and McKellips is in the Mountain View HS District which has a high rating.

My client just purchased a home in that area in the gated Arboledo subdivision just east of Val Vista Dr on McKellips.

Another good area of Mesa is the north east section in Las Sendas or Mountain Bridge, and other communities in that area. Red Mountain is the school district there which is good.

Just about anywhere in Gilbert is good.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 PM

22 posts, read 52,299 times
What about the Arrowhead of Glendale? I'm new to the area but really like the area the best out of all the areas we've seen (Gilbert, Chandler, Goodyear). Of course I did like Central Avenue in Phoenix and Scottsdale but those houses were a little out of my price range

Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna_run_faster View Post
What about the Arrowhead of Glendale? I'm new to the area but really like the area the best out of all the areas we've seen (Gilbert, Chandler, Goodyear). Of course I did like Central Avenue in Phoenix and Scottsdale but those houses were a little out of my price range
Where you live in the Phoenix area is nearly 100% dependent on where you work. If you want answers to your question, I'd suggest you start a new thread and include the location of your job(s).

Welcome to The Valley of The Sun!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,285 times
@ jkgourmet & observer53, I have lived in Chicago all my life and I would like to do a total chabge. Now that i have children i would like a slower pace for them and possibly better employment for myself. It is to expensive her in the Chi. For what I pay in rent here is a three to four bedroom home there. Safety, better living environment, warm weather, beautiful scenery plus I heard the people there are just as delightful. I know there is some form of crime everywhere but less is best for me and my family for now. I would like to start off in a 3 to 4 bedroom apartment just so that I can get the feel of everything. But to to possibly in a yr or two move to Chandler or scottsdale and eventually on my own home there. That's what I'm looking for and the goals that I have set for myself.
And red mountain is one of the Hugh schools that my son researched so I would like to stay in that school distrct

Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM

860 posts, read 2,715,986 times
I agree that NE Mesa is nice- the areas that feed into Mountain View HS and Red Mountain HS. Its calm, quiet and scenic and there are wonderful views in many locations. Its convenient to many areas. Gilbert has more new shopping, restaurants and probably better schools, although these Mesa schools are also highly rated, I believe there is less dollar amount per student allocated in Mesa schools than Gilbert or Chandler.

Gilbert is more like the Midwest in terms of its overall feel with more grass,green trees and flowers-there is strong architectural and improvement guidelines there NE Mesa is more like Scottsdale in feel-desert-y, but cheaper. Gilbert has more of a Santa Barbara/ Tucsan theme in its new planning.The older parts are more like Orange County CA or FL in their feel- esp Val Vista Lakes and The Islands area. The air in NE Mesa is better for allergies, in S Gilbert there is more farming. But these are being replaced with new housing, so that is changing. There is LOTS of new housing in the area straddling Gilbert/ Chandler/ Queen Creek and outward.

Mesa's best areas are more pricey and few and far between than Gilbert/Chandler- areas like Las Sendas and Mountain Bridge. But again, the air, views and proximity to hiking ( Ursery Park)give a Scottsdale experience for less. People seem active and outdoorsy in these areas-lots of Golf! the housing is mostly a little older and South Western- Territorial in design. And you can hop on the wide open 202 towards Gilbert and be at San Tan Village in 15 minutes. I know less about N central Mesa near Val Vista/ Gilbert and all the orange grove areas (Mountain View HS) but as a Midwesterner it seems more settled with old money, estates, citrus and traditional values. Very pretty estate style homes.

The real estate expert to be found above is very helpful and knowledgable in all these areas, I give the thumbs up to him . Plus, I agree with all the advice to know your commute to work first, and then choose where to live. Good Luck!! We moved from Indiana 2 years ago and have adjusted well. The weather right now is a huge pay-off!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM

246 posts, read 400,897 times
My wife and I just bought a house in NE Mesa. Still getting to know the area, but we like the quietness, closeness to hiking, and easy access on the 202 freeway. Not as many stores around as some areas, but generally enough to get what you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area