Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

It's been a long time since I've been in Phoenix at all and now I'm planning to be through there tomorrow. Going to Tucson for a few days and leaving right after work at 3 PM. Can I expect some real slow down when I get into town??? Looking forward to this trip and hoping THAT part of it won't be TOO bad. I think I can still make it to Marana by 7 PM...hopefully.

Thinking maybe I'll just get off the freeway and have dinner while I wait for traffic to thin out, if it's bad. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
I-10 is always congested during crush hour, especially around the freeway junctures.

The stack interchange where I-10 and I-17 meet is backed up during this time, as is the mini-stack where I-10, SR 51 and the 202 Loop meet.

A possible reliever route would be eastbound on the 202 Loop and southbound on SR 143 to I-10, but I'm not sure if that would be much better.

Any way you travel you're going to be faced with some backed up traffic during that particular time of day.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I-10 is always congested during crush hour, especially around the freeway junctures.

The stack interchange where I-10 and I-17 meet is backed up during this time, as is the mini-stack where I-10, SR 51 and the 202 Loop meet.

A possible reliever route would be eastbound on the 202 Loop and southbound on SR 143 to I-10, but I'm not sure if that would be much better.

Any way you travel you're going to be faced with some backed up traffic during that particular time of day.
That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just have to relax and get through it, huh? I wish I could leave earlier in the day but, alas, that's not possible.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just have to relax and get through it, huh? I wish I could leave earlier in the day but, alas, that's not possible.
Your suggestion about stopping to eat while the traffic thins out is probably a good idea.

Traffic becomes a little lighter after 6 and much easier after 7, unless there is a major event going on.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
You will be going against most traffic on I-17 southbound, so that won't be bad until you get downtown and start heading essentially east on I-10, which does get crowded. Just go with the flow, and you'll get through it.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Your suggestion about stopping to eat while the traffic thins out is probably a good idea.

Traffic becomes a little lighter after 6 and much easier after 7, unless there is a major event going on.
That's probably what I'll end up doing. I'd really like to get to Marana before dark...by 8 at the latest. I don't do well, driving after dark anymore. Must be gettin' old. lol

Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You will be going against most traffic on I-17 southbound, so that won't be bad until you get downtown and start heading essentially east on I-10, which does get crowded. Just go with the flow, and you'll get through it.
Yeah, that's what I figure. So, do most people who work in Phoenix live north? I do remember one morning, leaving my aunt's house, getting on I-17 and it was awful going north! I couldn't believe how long and slow that line was. What are the best hours to go through there? I suppose most people are at work by 9 AM? I will make sure I come back through Friday during "reasonable" hours. lol

Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
The heaviest traffic on I-17 in the afternoon is northbound, in the morning it's southbound. That doesn't mean you won't find heavy traffic northbound occasionally, if there's an accident that affects northbound traffic. The "best hours" to go through central Phoenix would be late AM through early PM. Coming back from Tucson, if you are approaching the Valley no earlier than 9 AM, you should be OK.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The heaviest traffic on I-17 in the afternoon is northbound, in the morning it's southbound. That doesn't mean you won't find heavy traffic northbound occasionally, if there's an accident that affects northbound traffic. The "best hours" to go through central Phoenix would be late AM through early PM. Coming back from Tucson, if you are approaching the Valley no earlier than 9 AM, you should be OK.
I won't be coming back that early, for sure! I'll be stopping in Casa Grande to meet a CD friend as well. I'm looking forward to that. I'm really looking forward to just getting out of town for a few days. Hopefully the weather will be cooperative as well.

See y'all when I get back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area