Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,763,032 times

Advertisements

Phoenix, AZ is fine for now. Not my favorite place thoug.
For neighborhoods/communities, may I recommend Ahwatukee, in the Southeast valley. Great high schools, great sense of community and relatively safe. A short 15 - 20 minute commute to the airport!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 AM

551 posts, read 1,593,892 times
Good morning folks!

We are once again debating on whether to move to the Phoenix area. Hubby is from the north central states whereas I am a Phoenician by birth. Long ago I lived in the Glendale area but have lived in the high desert of California for the past 30+ years.

What areas would you recommend for a semi-retired couple to live in the Phoenix area?

I have fond memories of Encanto Park homes, visiting old Scottsdale, going to the Town and Country shopping center, etc.

Oh, yes, are Hallcraft homes still a good buy?

I also remember watching Wallace and Ladmo (before the Ladmo bags) when kids would choose their toys from the toy shelf. Such good memories.

Any way, please let me know your recommendations for this homesick Arizona native.

LadmoFan

Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 AM

39,120 posts, read 51,371,476 times
How semi is semi-retired? If major-semi then I would pick Gold Canyon over all the places here. It's pretty and comfortably remote. It is out in the Queen Creek (not the town, the real creek) area on the south side of the Superstitions. If you have to come to town a lot it's a drive and a half, but otherwise it has the look of Tucson with the big city attractions of Phoenix close by.

Other places that are like that include Verrado, Tartesso, Vistancia, Palm Valley, and Estrella - all in the west Valley. Tartesso is the most remote (because it is halfway to LA ). The west Valley master planned places are nice, but do not have the rich vegetation/mountains you get out near the Superstitions though Vistancia and especially Estrella come close. The east valley cities of Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler are now built-out, overcrowded bedrooms for the worker bees and no where I would want to be for retirement. Queen Creek, Florence, Maricopa, and Casa Grande are all in various stages of development, but they are more or less low-end at this time and the vegetation is pretty much creosote and dust storms. The desirable part of Scottsdale is so far north that Santa is looking at property there.

Gold Canyon!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:13 PM

551 posts, read 1,593,892 times
Hubby is an engineer so I can't see him retiring for a long time. He enjoys working but I would like to see him cut back to 40 hours a week. LOL!

We found a couple houses at realtor.com that were near the Motorola (GD) plant. He could almost walk to work. Is that area fairly decent? We don't mind owning an older home, in fact I love the older red brick homes in Phoenix, so that's not a problem.

We are looking for houses in the $200,00 to $300,000 range is this affordable in Phoenix or are we wishing for something that's not going to happen?

LadmoFan

Old 11-02-2007, 02:01 PM

12 posts, read 35,167 times
AZ is most DEFINATELY NOT in my top 2! I have lived here for 31 years, with the exceptional 1 yr move here and there. The only reason I'm still here, is I'm finding it hard to take my 2 young children away from my parents. They are very close. Oh, that and the fact that I know the city so well. Other than those 2 reasons, I would walk away and never look back. I hate the fact that you can't go outside from May to October.

If I had to pick any area of town as my favorite, I'd probably say old Litchfield Park. Not the new homes there, but the OLD Litchfield Park area.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,774,744 times
Your price range would fit in our area of the west side. We are up in Vistancia and I know of a few resales that are under $300K. There are other communities in N. Peoria that would fit your budget as well. Surprise is another area you might want to check on. There is a very nice resale over at Trilogy that I saw today for under $300K. Trilogy is a 55+ community across from Vistancia Village. The ammenities are wonderful. Go to REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale to zip code 85383 to see some of the homes on the market.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:31 PM

82 posts, read 371,282 times
I've lived in AZ my entire life and spent half in the Phoenix area.

My top 2 picks would be

#1 Sedona
#2 Flagstaff

The Valley would rank dead last on my list.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:38 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,330,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2monkeymom View Post
AZ is most DEFINATELY NOT in my top 2! I have lived here for 31 years, with the exceptional 1 yr move here and there. The only reason I'm still here, is I'm finding it hard to take my 2 young children away from my parents. They are very close. Oh, that and the fact that I know the city so well. Other than those 2 reasons, I would walk away and never look back. I hate the fact that you can't go outside from May to October.

If I had to pick any area of town as my favorite, I'd probably say old Litchfield Park. Not the new homes there, but the OLD Litchfield Park area.
That's so wierd that you feel that way. Usually most people want to be near their families. Perhaps you guys should move for a couple of years and then come back. Sounds like you just need a change for a bit. I know I did when we used to live in NY, but now I'm itching to get back to the east coast.
I've found that most people prefer surroundings that are similar to what they had while growing up. Just my opinion.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,972,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
That's so wierd that you feel that way. Usually most people want to be near their families. Perhaps you guys should move for a couple of years and then come back. Sounds like you just need a change for a bit. I know I did when we used to live in NY, but now I'm itching to get back to the east coast.
I've found that most people prefer surroundings that are similar to what they had while growing up. Just my opinion.

Yes and no for me.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM

98 posts, read 298,191 times
i agree...we moved here to get away from our families and the cold weather. one thing i can say is that no matter where you go, people are going to be unhappy - if it's not for the weather, it's for the prices and/or the economy.

we moved here 1.5 years ago and not only was moving here the best thing we could have done, but RENTING was far better. here's why:

realtors lie. someone said it before, but i gotta stress it. when we moved here, prices were sky high and there were waiting lists for lots in queen creek and other open areas. we moved to laveen. it was BEAUTIFUL. it WAS beautiful. it is horrible now - in under 6 months it got BAAAAAAAAD. queen creek, maricopa, casa grande and all the other places that had people clamoring for space has gotten just a bad - queen creek, because of the water table...the others, especially LAVEEN, because of the crime and section 8 and out-of-state investors and lack of property manager screening tenants thoroughly. there was a shootout around 51st ave and southern and two kids got shot that were involved. this was halloween night. there were helicopters and everything.

i feel very bad for those that bought because they are having a hell of a time trying to sell. most simply lease their homes for less than their payments just to recoup something.

all of this is to say that the phoenix area can be loads of fun and exciting, especially for the outdoors person in you (if it exists)...you just want to consider renting first and settling in an area in which people are actually happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area