Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 AM

49 posts, read 332,389 times

Advertisements

I have looked at some homes online that have forced air as opposed to AC. Does this mean it is a swamp cooler? What is more efficient? What is cheaper? Is that because the house is older? Do they still offer them with new houses? Would you prefer one over the other? My average electric bill is about $600/month here in Texas. My home is 3800 square feet and one story. I am looking to downsize to about 2200 square feet in a one story. Which would be less expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,894,855 times
Swamp cooler is cheaper to run, but if you want comfort on humid days in the monsoon season, A/C is the way to go. A good efficient heat pump type unit will provide the comfort in the summer and winter without breaking your bank account.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 AM

27,383 posts, read 27,427,661 times
A/C, all the way. Swamp coolers may seem fine but notice they dont cool down too large of an area? The efficiency is greater, too, with a/c.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
You'd save a lot of money with a swamp cooler. But you won't find them on houses built after about 1990 when the tile roof thing swept over the homebuilding market. The best of both worlds is a piggyback system with UpDux (vents into attic space), but again not available on newer homes.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,740,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwullen View Post
I have looked at some homes online that have forced air as opposed to AC. Does this mean it is a swamp cooler? What is more efficient? What is cheaper? Is that because the house is older? Do they still offer them with new houses? Would you prefer one over the other? My average electric bill is about $600/month here in Texas. My home is 3800 square feet and one story. I am looking to downsize to about 2200 square feet in a one story. Which would be less expensive?
Simple answer to your question is BOTH, Pwullen.

"Forced Air" is rather vague. I would request a verification on that one.

The official or proper term for a Swamp Cooler is an Evaporative Cooler, not "forced air" as far as I have experienced.

My home has what is known as "dual cooling" which allows me to chose between the Swamp Coolor and the Air Conditioning. During the dry seasons (about ten months or so) the Swamp Cooler (with or without water) is much more efficient and refreshing as well as healthier.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 PM

551 posts, read 2,728,512 times
I believe that forced air means that the air moves (is forced) through duct work -- as opposed to a window a/c unit (or nothing at all). It should say something to the effect of evaporative cooler (swamp) or refrigeration (a/c).

Also, most of the newer houses have a heat pump, which is a bi-directional unit. In the winter, a heat pump will act as your heater. In the summer, it will act as your a/c unit.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:22 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,736,984 times
Many many eons ago, when air conditioners were first introduced on the market, they were called "forced air units". Here in AZ they're ocassionally called "heat pumps" as well as plain ol air conditioners.

Swamp coolers are high maintenance evaporative coolers that are only effective when the dew point is under 55 degrees. Because of the high salt/calcium build up in our water they also need to be cleaned at least once a year. The pads, depending on the type, need to be cleaned or replaced frequently. The pumps wear out fast, usually lasting only one or two years.
Evap coolers when properly functioning keep the air cooled to about 80 degrees. If you are a person with asthma or severe allergy conditions, evap coolers are not for you. There are molds and other allergens asscociated with evap/swamp coolers. Evap cooleres due to the increased moisture in the air will cause doors, windows etc to expand and stick. Things warp with damp air, even wallpaper can come unglued.

Air conditioners, though costing more to buy and operate, are more efficent, more comfortable and need only to have the filter checked regularly to keep it running efficiently.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 29,232 times
My understanding is forced air means the same as central air, those from the east coast would know what that means.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma_Mia View Post
My understanding is forced air means the same as central air, those from the east coast would know what that means.
LOL. Anyone who uses the term "central air" in AZ will immediately be recognized as an eastern newbie. Back in the day, ac was commonly referred to here as "refrigeration". That term seems to have faded.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 66,115 times
As mentioned in an earlier post, you won't find too many houses with an evaporative cooler these days and they'll have an A/C, too.

You won't have any problems cutting your electric bill down to probably 1/3 at the size house you are looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area