Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,174,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Scenic, you say? Here's something along the lines of what Bummer suggested, only nobody could argue that this route isn't scenic.

Take 93/95 through Vegas 95 to Amargosa or Beatty, and then go through Death Valley to Lone Pine. Yes Death Valley will be very hot, but you said you're not stopping. So as long as your car is reliable, you'll have no problems. Then take 395 all along the eastern Sierra Nevada range, to Mono Lake (definitely worth a short stop there) and Lee Vining. Then drive through Yosemite on your way to SF. That's what I'd do if I had the time.
Now, THAT'S a great road trip!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:33 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,758,018 times
Quote:
Scenic, you say? Here's something along the lines of what Bummer suggested, only nobody could argue that this route isn't scenic.

Take 93/95 through Vegas 95 to Amargosa or Beatty, and then go through Death Valley to Lone Pine. Yes Death Valley will be very hot, but you said you're not stopping. So as long as your car is reliable, you'll have no problems. Then take 395 all along the eastern Sierra Nevada range, to Mono Lake (definitely worth a short stop there) and Lee Vining. Then drive through Yosemite on your way to SF. That's what I'd do if I had the time.
An excellent route, KDog . . . except for Death Valley in July.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 06-14-2011, 01:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 21,883,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

! ! ! ! ! !
Perhaps you haven't kept up with modern technology, Bummer, but believe it or not, they have air-conditioning in cars these days.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,758,018 times
Quote:
Perhaps you haven't kept up with modern technology, Bummer, but believe it or not, they have air-conditioning in cars these days.
For true?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,365,264 times
Quote:

I did that route on my motorcycle in November to Mammoth Lakes. Breathtaking scenery, but it sure got cold around Lone Pine and thereafter. I was freezing. There's a great route back on tiny roads through Benton Hot Springs that crosses into CA and back into NV a few times, eventually leading to 95 near Scotty's Junction, NV......where I ran out of gas after 170 miles of no gas stations. That was a fun trip.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:30 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,906,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

! ! ! ! ! !
Quote:
I use the 2-70 A/C technology, 2 Windows down, and 70 MPH..

Another route is The Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) in California, which is very scenic, but it's a longer drive, and slower.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 PM

13,258 posts, read 21,883,482 times
Lol! PCH has some great views, but most of it has no view as I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area