Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you receive your mail?
Just a regular mailbox, not locked 8 22.86%
Locked mailbox 21 60.00%
PO Box 7 20.00%
Other 1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,032,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
People who can still get mail to their front door and have a letter slot can also get some kid sticking your garden hose in the house and flooding it.

A locked mailbox doesn't work, kids will break in just to show you they can.

On the other hand a PO Box is dangerous for important papers, monthly bills and the like if the person at the post office puts your mail into the wrong box and that person marks it 'not here' and it is returned to the sender. I lost my health insurance because of that.
HUGE bummer on the loss of your health insurance due to error.

I figure I will only have certain things sent to the PO Box (or whatever I come up with) and then other stuff like some bills sent to my regular box.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Well, y'all thanks for participating. With 75 plus percent of you having some sort of locked box, I decided driving 11 miles is worth it. Once your identity is stolen, you're in big trouble. So the money is worth it along with the inconvenience.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM

523 posts, read 942,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
HUGE bummer on the loss of your health insurance due to error.

I figure I will only have certain things sent to the PO Box (or whatever I come up with) and then other stuff like some bills sent to my regular box.
You may want to consider having most things sent to your PO Box. At least where I am in the Southwest Valley, the problems have really taken off as far as fraud and mail theft.

Just be careful.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,608,851 times
Go paperless on your bills, and receive those online. If you still want to pay them through the mail, fine, but at least you won't have to worry about them in the mailbox.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:57 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,081,010 times
Just do a Google search of locking mail boxes. There are bunches. For the front of home or for post type.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:23 AM

So the UPS store didn't work out? I wouldn't drive 11 miles to get my mail.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:09 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,587,609 times
Go paperless. The remaining things you write checks on - physically put them in the inside post office letter box, not a blue box on the street, not your company mailbox, not your own mailbox. Shred everything with your name, account number, or social security number before putting it in the trash. My mother, bless her soul, would burn the papers in the fireplace in winter. And get a private mailbox. I would not get one at a post office. Private box rental folks would likely be more careful - not government employees. I leave no scrap of paper with my name or numbers on it in my other residence where I seldom return.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 AM

295 posts, read 555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
My husband's credit card was improperly used twice--via another country. Some bizarre thing where the credit card company called us to report activity somewhere abroad. Have no idea how it happened. They just changed the account/card for him, but I think it happened twice within 5 years. Not sure the whole story but very Weird.
The same thing happened to my sister-in-law here in the Phoenix area. It took her over 40 hours to straighten things out.

I highly advise people get locks and change them frequently for their mail boxes here.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
The same thing happened to my sister-in-law here in the Phoenix area. It took her over 40 hours to straighten things out.

I highly advise people get locks and change them frequently for their mail boxes here.

Peoples' credit card numbers get stolen in many ways having nothing to do with mailboxes-- just as in the post you were referring to. Get locks for mailboxes and "change them frequently"???? More than a bit too paranoid, even for a gloom and doom poster. Better to just go paperless, and save the expense of all those locks.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Go paperless on your bills, and receive those online. If you still want to pay them through the mail, fine, but at least you won't have to worry about them in the mailbox.
Great idea, but I'm a dinosaur of sorts. If I don't get that bill in the mail to remind me to pay, it might not get paid. I'm usually one of these pay at the last moment types, so without the paper in front of me it'll slip my mind via email. For anything like credit card bills, etc, those will go to the PO Box. I don't mind receiving things like APS or Cox bills in the mail though. If someone else wants to steal them and pay them I'll be very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area