Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:04 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
We went with Renegade Water Services, LLC about a year ago.

We bought one that has a carbon filter layer built into the water system. My wife has a skin condition and the carbon layer helps with the water that a normal softener wouldn't help.

As of last year, the guy that comes to your house is the owner of the company. They were very to the point and honest about whether you would benefit from the more expensive systems.

I would suggest having them come out last if you're getting quotes from multiple companies.
Many of the pros recommend that you not have Carbon media and softening media going on in the same tank - You can buy a separate "backwashing carbon filter" ( that looks an awful lot like a softener) and get more effective filtering and better serviceability. I have one of the separate backwashing filters and I would recommend it highly - it works especially good at removing excessive chlorine from the water, and it helps with taste.

About every 5-10 years you can dump out the carbon media and replace it for under $100

Here's a link to what those backwashing carbon filters look like:
Taste Improvement and Odor Removal, carbon filter systems, chlorine removal, GAC filters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:06 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The "Homeowner" grade softeners cost just as much as the "contractor grade" softeners (if you buy them right), and the parts inside aren't nearly as reliable - The softeners sold at Sears and the depot include one design sold as "GE", "Morton" and "Kenmore" brands - a quick Googling will show you the internet is littered with corpses of that machine - some have had great luck, others have had to replace the entire machine every couple of years. The "water boss" brand sold at the Depot has especially bad reviews on the web.

If you stick to the major brand "pro grade" softeners like Fleck and Clack, you can get all the parts required to rebuild the control head for under $100, and if the tank splits open ( it does happen sometimes), it's a standard part that's under $100 instead of a whole new softener.

If you check Craigslist as I suggested, you'll find lots of ads that read something like - "1 year-old softener, paid $3000, will sell for $1000" - when you look at the softener, it's the same softener sold by wholesalers on the interweb for $500-$1000 brand-new.

In fact, the softener in my house was purchased on Craigslist from someone who was still making payments on his $3200 softener and didn't want to "give it" to the bank... The problem for him was, the softener was a $1k unit with a $2k markup...

I can appreciate not wanting to do it yourself, but softeners can be installed by any plumber - the softener is a commodity...

Please update the thread when you buy, I'd love to see what you get for quotes...
Craigslist may be a good idea for DIY or a handyman could install one. It's a very simple installation with a pre-plumb. I saw several homes recently where it was obvious the water softener had been removed. I thought that was odd, but I did not realize people were paying 3k for them installed. One could buy several Sears units for that price, too.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 PM

39 posts, read 72,697 times
Thanks to all, again. Sears was my first choice and probably still is but then I saw an ad for American Home Water which is an ion exchange softener much like the Sears unit but a more industrial two unit device instead of a single unit. The company purports that their sales folk do not work on commission. Anyway, This is what I was interested in. No, I'm not interested in any new technology, magnetic resonance, iron or copper bracelets, krypton based super whizbang product. I'm old school (you should see my Harley) and as both a senior citizen and a senior field service tech I can appreciate what works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, does anyone have any recommendations for this company. If not, it'll be Sears for sure.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:14 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,777,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Scot View Post
Thanks to all, again. Sears was my first choice and probably still is but then I saw an ad for American Home Water which is an ion exchange softener much like the Sears unit but a more industrial two unit device instead of a single unit. The company purports that their sales folk do not work on commission. Anyway, This is what I was interested in. No, I'm not interested in any new technology, magnetic resonance, iron or copper bracelets, krypton based super whizbang product. I'm old school (you should see my Harley) and as both a senior citizen and a senior field service tech I can appreciate what works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, does anyone have any recommendations for this company. If not, it'll be Sears for sure.
I went with American Home Water. The two unit system + RO. I throw a bag of salt in the black container, push a button, and I am done. House was pre plumbed for soft water loop and RO system.

I did a little bit of research. I called them. They actually answered the phone. No answering machine BS. I talked to the owner. No dog and pony show. I told him what I wanted, he told me what he had. I wanted a good warranty because I am not a "handyman". I can be a PITA customer if I think I'm being given the run around. I was in a hurry. They were in my house 2 days later. I don't remember the exact number, but it was around 1400.00 or under, and that included the RO system, brushed nickel faucet, fridge hook up, etc.

They asked me to look out for minor leaks under the sink r/t RO system. Sure enough. Found a leak a few days later. Called at 0800. They were in my house by 0915 same day. Problem fixed. I have never been able to get that kind of service from Sears or anybody else. The man actually cares about his business.

I had a good experience with them. It was an old fashion transaction with old school customer service. That is precisely the way I like it.

Last edited by EDnurse; 05-19-2011 at 11:24 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 AM

39 posts, read 72,697 times
EDnurse... that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks for posting.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM

11 posts, read 14,629 times
Default "Softeners can be installed by any plumber"?

Apparently, you don't live anywhere near the Phoenix, AZ, area. For the last 3 years, not a single plumber I have hired to make very simple repairs has been competent. Each one separately has disagreed on how to resolve the easiest of problems. Now, for over a month, I have been in plumbing hell, thanks to 4 plumbing companies sent out by my home warranty company to repair a leaky faucet. Not only have a couple of them made things worse, but others broke things in the process that weren't in need of repair.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a single somewhat capable, skilled plumber in all of the Phoenix area. So I would never trust a plumber to install a softener.

I've been doing research for 3 years on water softeners/conditioners and had decided on a company to do the installation, but now I've changed my mind because I doubt they will know what they're doing. I don't know why no one -- plumbers, painters, electricians, carpenters, flooring installers, etc. -- seems to know what they're doing anymore. Yet they can come to my house, destroy everything, their company keeps them on, the home warranty company keeps the subcontractor on, and the ROC says that I must have "done (the damage) yourself". Sure, being that I just got my hip replaced and had 2 surgeries in less than 1 year, I decided to spend my time not on paperwork, cleaning, etc., but on damaging my own property ...

If I wanted to destroy my home and its contents, I'd simply use a match.

Damn, I've lived in and around AZ for 35 years and never before have dealt with such incompetence.

Do you or does anyone else here know of a somewhat skilled, licensed (meaningless) plumber? And a local company that installs water softeners/conditioners?

I know I'm to blame for all my problems, selling a home in zip code 85345 and moving 3 miles away into zip code 85381. These houses, by Homes By Towne (HBT), clearly were built by ... well, I can't think of an animal that would do such a lousy job, so probably 2-year-olds.

Any advice, leads, referrals, etc., would be most appreciated. I'm losing my mind, literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The "Homeowner" grade softeners cost just as much as the "contractor grade" softeners (if you buy them right), and the parts inside aren't nearly as reliable - The softeners sold at Sears and the depot include one design sold as "GE", "Morton" and "Kenmore" brands - a quick Googling will show you the internet is littered with corpses of that machine - some have had great luck, others have had to replace the entire machine every couple of years. The "water boss" brand sold at the Depot has especially bad reviews on the web.

If you stick to the major brand "pro grade" softeners like Fleck and Clack, you can get all the parts required to rebuild the control head for under $100, and if the tank splits open ( it does happen sometimes), it's a standard part that's under $100 instead of a whole new softener.

If you check Craigslist as I suggested, you'll find lots of ads that read something like - "1 year-old softener, paid $3000, will sell for $1000" - when you look at the softener, it's the same softener sold by wholesalers on the interweb for $500-$1000 brand-new.

In fact, the softener in my house was purchased on Craigslist from someone who was still making payments on his $3200 softener and didn't want to "give it" to the bank... The problem for him was, the softener was a $1k unit with a $2k markup...

I can appreciate not wanting to do it yourself, but softeners can be installed by any plumber - the softener is a commodity...

Please update the thread when you buy, I'd love to see what you get for quotes...

Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 AM

11 posts, read 14,629 times
I'm thinking of going with American Home Water too. And yes, one of the owners answered the phone and came to my house. But I'm hesitant because I've had such bad experiences with other service "professionals" in the past 4-5 years ...

Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM

603 posts, read 947,155 times
Our house has a water softener system that was installed and maintained by Southwest Water Service. It was installed around 12 years ago. We just had them replace the resin bed a few months ago. We've been happy with them.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:08 PM

416 posts, read 538,242 times
Years ago I briefly worked for Water Engineering Services in downtown Phoenix. Not sure about now but they were the best back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area