Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times

Advertisements

It has now been exactly 3 years since I graduated from ASU and moved out of Tempe to pursue other ventures (LA, then Reno, now Denver, where I'm from). I just got back from a week long road trip out there, and boy, do I miss it!

I miss the overall "vibe," the architecture (LOVE Spanish/southwestern style buildings), the desert landscaping, the palm trees, colorful flowers, the lay of the land, the warm dry breezes. Ok, I don't miss the month long 110+ degree highs that I experienced in 2007, but 95, 100 is great. Kind of a vacation-like climate. I spent probably about half my time in Scottsdale, and it was better than I ever remembered it. I forgot about all the outdoor/ open air bars... the girls... (I'm in my mid 20's and single) everything felt so bright and cheerful and fun. Whereas Denver this time of year is awfully gloomy. Cold doesn't bother me, but gloom does. I need sunshine. Just driving around, walking around, bicyling around... the greater Phoenix area has one of the most attractive streetscapes of any city in the US.

Now I'm wondering if I should move back, or if I'm better off staying in Denver, and just visiting Phoenix (and Vegas) from time to time to get my fix? My family is here, I have a decent job here (and realistically, barring unforseen circumstances, it would be at least another year before it would be prudent to even consider looking at other jobs) and I also LOVE skiing (went up 20 times this year, almost every weekend from the beginning of November until the first week of May-- won't be possible with a place like AZ Snowbowl 3+ hours away). At one point I was almost sold that Albuquerque was the perfect place for me-- sort of a combo of Denver & Phoenix with its own distinctive unique feel-- and I love Albuquerque as well-- was even offered a job there, but backed off, due to fear of the unknown. Phoenix, OTOH, I feel like I know the place much better.

Not that I'm uncritical of Phoenix (as anybody could see going back reading the archives)... or any place for that matter. I'm not a one-dimensional person-- I like a lot of places, a lot of different activities, and I can adapt to different environments. But I'm wondering if my last trip re-sparked a love for the place I once had?

Do I sound like someone missing home, or is this just a case of the "grass on the other side is greener"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,011,793 times
So open air bars and palm trees would cause you to move back to Phoenix?

Doesn't Denver have a nice downtown area that young professionals in their 20s are supposed to embrace? It sounds like you like the outdoors, so why not stay in Denver? Surely you remember how unpredictable ski season can be at Snowbowl. Don't they now use recycled water to make snow? I'd want to stay in Denver if I enjoyed skiing. I personally don't find pleasure in gliding over all of Flagstaff's waste from sunrise to sunset.

The recession left the Valley in bad shape. I would think that Denver has a stronger and more diverse economy than Phoenix. I would also think that Denver has a more educated populace than Phoenix, as well.

Remember the summer here, too. I'm sure that you are in for a pleasant summer in Denver, while we go through months and months of 111s and 113s.

Why don't you just make it a point to get back to Phoenix fairly often until you get your fix? If you think Albuquerque is a happy medium, go there. Isn't it only 5 hours from Denver? If you lived in Reno, I don't see what the big apprehension about Albuquerque is about.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
It comes down to skiing. How much do you love it? I went 4 times this year and 6 times last year in AZ. That's enough for me.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:40 PM

963 posts, read 3,034,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Do I sound like someone missing home, or is this just a case of the "grass on the other side is greener"?
I wouldn't say it's a case of "greener grass." That's a metaphor usually reserved for things that we haven't much experience with but find attractive on casual inspection. Sounds like you know the ins and outs of living in Phoenix from first-hand knowledge.

I think there are people whose dosage requirement of sunshine is much higher than others and need either the desert of the tropics to really feel happy (have you been to Hawaii?). Phoenix tends to elicit responses at both ends of the affective spectrum. It's probably one of America's most hated cities as well as one of its most loved. Not many people are neutral on Phoenix.

I have similar feelings when I first return to Phoenix from up north, but within a day or two my enthusiasm cools and I remember why I wanted to leave when I did back in the 1980's. It's no longer the place it once was and I think it is a city of post-climax livability, i.e. a city where livability will be constantly declining from here on out. Albuquerque might be a better bet in this regard, though it certainly has its problems and the climate can be chilly and windy for a good portion of the year.

Here's another thing: we easily get our wires crossed between a place that we remember fondly and a time in our lives that we remember fondly. Most people have fond memories of their college days. We're largely insulated from many of the civic concerns that preoccupy the larger consciousness of the cities those colleges are located in. But hankering for the halcyon days of college won't necessarily carry through to a work life in the valley with freeway logjams, high crime and outrageous utility bills.

Oh, and one more thing. I wouldn't broad-brush the livability of the whole Valley of the Sun based on a vacation in Scottsdale. You saw the valley at its very best...and at the best time of the year to experience it.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
It has now been exactly 3 years since I graduated from ASU and moved out of Tempe to pursue other ventures (LA, then Reno, now Denver, where I'm from). I just got back from a week long road trip out there, and boy, do I miss it!

I miss the overall "vibe," the architecture (LOVE Spanish/southwestern style buildings), the desert landscaping, the palm trees, colorful flowers, the lay of the land, the warm dry breezes. Ok, I don't miss the month long 110+ degree highs that I experienced in 2007, but 95, 100 is great. Kind of a vacation-like climate. I spent probably about half my time in Scottsdale, and it was better than I ever remembered it. I forgot about all the outdoor/ open air bars... the girls... (I'm in my mid 20's and single) everything felt so bright and cheerful and fun. Whereas Denver this time of year is awfully gloomy. Cold doesn't bother me, but gloom does. I need sunshine. Just driving around, walking around, bicyling around... the greater Phoenix area has one of the most attractive streetscapes of any city in the US.

Now I'm wondering if I should move back, or if I'm better off staying in Denver, and just visiting Phoenix (and Vegas) from time to time to get my fix? My family is here, I have a decent job here (and realistically, barring unforseen circumstances, it would be at least another year before it would be prudent to even consider looking at other jobs) and I also LOVE skiing (went up 20 times this year, almost every weekend from the beginning of November until the first week of May-- won't be possible with a place like AZ Snowbowl 3+ hours away). At one point I was almost sold that Albuquerque was the perfect place for me-- sort of a combo of Denver & Phoenix with its own distinctive unique feel-- and I love Albuquerque as well-- was even offered a job there, but backed off, due to fear of the unknown. Phoenix, OTOH, I feel like I know the place much better.

Not that I'm uncritical of Phoenix (as anybody could see going back reading the archives)... or any place for that matter. I'm not a one-dimensional person-- I like a lot of places, a lot of different activities, and I can adapt to different environments. But I'm wondering if my last trip re-sparked a love for the place I once had?

Come Home

Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,742 times
It doesn't sound like a "grass is always greener" scenario so much as an attempt to reclaim your old life. If you had a great time at ASU (your college years being a notorious time of embracing youth, devil-may-care attitude, etc.) and something-- or any number of things-- not quite right in life now are making you nostalgic, you might have a desire to reclaim your old life in Phoenix. I made that mistake twice before, so would urge you to use caution in a decision this major. What really slapped me in the face was when I spent a bit of time with someone else who was tenaciously trying to prolong the past, making me realize at that time I was trying to force the past to become the present.

When you were recently in Phoenix, I think you were seeing only what you wanted to see. If you were to up and move, eventually it would look less and less like the way you remembered it.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,383 times
This is how I see this..The keyword for me was gloomy...and skiing. Those 2 things go hand in hand usually so you need to choose how much you really want to ski...As mentioned before you can ski in Az..but the slopes are 3plus hours away. But gloomy..you can't get away from it without actually changing climates. I lived in Seattle for 15 years..I loved it. I loved the sun breaks, rain 4 days out of 7 and misting the other 3... I loved curling up by the fire reading a book or watching tv. I am not a real outdoor person and didn't feel closed in by the weather..you on the other hand are an outdoors person. You need the sun..I would seriously look into a location that you can access to the outdoors 300 days out 365. I think, and this is just my opinion, but just like some people get depressive in the Pacific Northwest from the lack of sun..folks get manic from too much sun here in Arizona.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
So open air bars and palm trees would cause you to move back to Phoenix?

Doesn't Denver have a nice downtown area that young professionals in their 20s are supposed to embrace? It sounds like you like the outdoors, so why not stay in Denver? Surely you remember how unpredictable ski season can be at Snowbowl. Don't they now use recycled water to make snow? I'd want to stay in Denver if I enjoyed skiing. I personally don't find pleasure in gliding over all of Flagstaff's waste from sunrise to sunset.

The recession left the Valley in bad shape. I would think that Denver has a stronger and more diverse economy than Phoenix. I would also think that Denver has a more educated populace than Phoenix, as well.

Remember the summer here, too. I'm sure that you are in for a pleasant summer in Denver, while we go through months and months of 111s and 113s.

Why don't you just make it a point to get back to Phoenix fairly often until you get your fix? If you think Albuquerque is a happy medium, go there. Isn't it only 5 hours from Denver? If you lived in Reno, I don't see what the big apprehension about Albuquerque is about.
Unemployment in Denver has always been higher than Phoenix and it is even in this recession:

Unemployment - Google public data

I know how the desert gets in your blood. I miss it soon after I leave every time (but not Phoenix). Nevertheless, VP, I say stay in Denver. You've got it all but sunshine there and it will improve as the year wears on in that regard.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
We just returned from New Orleans and I have to say we fell in love with the vibe there and the street scene was something else and the people charming. The old buildings were awesome and we took over 400 photos of doors and windows. I could say that we could move there but we realized we would get bored easily living there full time. Getting off the plane in Phoenix felt right and as usual, we are always so glad to get back home.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,083,597 times
Aw, Vegasp, moving away might have just given you more prospective on what you do and don't like. You are so young and still learning about yourself. It's ok to move back, maybe you realize you are more of a desert brat than you thought.
At your age I wouldn't come to any conclusions yet, just live and move around. Experience is what you'll gain in the end and then you'll settle on one place. No one place will have everything you want, which you already know I'm sure. Until then you could move a thousand times. Even when you have a family priorities change again and again. Depending on climate, jobs, family, etc.

Do what I do, write a list of likes and dislikes about both places. One will win out, try the winner for another year and see if it was the right one. Sounds like you can go to Denver anytime you want if you make a mistake, with family there, you will always be able to go back. On the flip side you might get back to AZ and stay for the rest of your life but at least you would be content with your decisions.
Someone told me once it takes about 3 years of stay in a place to really appreciate it. But at your age I would say do as much living as you can before you get settled, it's harder to transplant later kiddo! Took me a long time to round up all my responsibilities. Move around while you have just a few will ya! Just my 2 cents.
Life is for living, don't forget to do that. Half the time I forget to do that. lol
Nice to talk to you again on here, been awhile. Even if you don't move back to AZ, keep in touch will ya. I don't live in Phoenix anymore but I poke in every once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area