Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 PM

54 posts, read 107,513 times

Advertisements

Hi all

My husband and I visited Tucson recently and LOVED it. But I was wondering where the best place in AZ is for horsey types like us? We are NOT interested in yuppy, kid oriented towns AT ALL so please don't suggest them. That type of area (pretty much any town close in to Phoenix it seemed to us) would drive us nuts. We're coming from that on the east coast (have a home in MD and one near NYC) and prefer not to repeat. We are soon-to-be empty nesters in our late 40's with 5 quarter horses and it would be a second home for the next 10-15 years most likely although I would probably live there most of winter with hubby commuting back and forth. Access to great trail riding and trail riding community would be great! Would love suggestions on specialized equestrian communities but definitely not interested in snooty types! We're done with the horse show world at this point. Privacy but not isolated since I will be there alone a lot. And relatively close to major airport for him to get back and forth to NYC.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Take a look at the Cave Creek area. Far North-East (of Phoenix) Valley and it backs up against Tonto National Forest. Lots of horse properties. Definitely not snooty. It's a bit of a drive to Sky Harbor though. Cowboy-ish. People ride to Target and tie up on the bike racks. I have a dentist in CC with a "no spurs" policy.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Take a look at the Cave Creek area. Far North-East (of Phoenix) Valley and it backs up against Tonto National Forest. Lots of horse properties. Definitely not snooty. It's a bit of a drive to Sky Harbor though. Cowboy-ish. People ride to Target and tie up on the bike racks. I have a dentist in CC with a "no spurs" policy.
ha ha ha ha- that's RIGHT up our alley at this stage! How long would you say it is to Sky Harbor. Keep in mind that he comes in very late at night/middle of the night and would almost always leave on a red-eye.

Thanks!!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa627 View Post
ha ha ha ha- that's RIGHT up our alley at this stage! How long would you say it is to Sky Harbor.
Depending on traffic 45 mins to an hour. Look at the areas around CC. Carefree, far north Scottsdale. CC is out of the way but still an easy drive. Traffic to downtown Phoenix on the weekends is easy. (Art museum, the Heard.) It's an easy shot to pretty much anywhere.

Cave Creek, AZ - Official Site

They pride themselves on being "old west". The main part of town is touristy but fun. Lots of places to eat. Last year's city council election was decided by a draw on the cards. It made CNN and everybody was very pleased with themselves, lol. They work very hard at staying small-town-ish.

Carefree has a lot of people with money but it's not snooty. Lots of retired folk. North Scottsdale is a little more "town-ish". Families. Some horse properties are actually in Phoenix or on county land. It's all a mish-mash in that area.

Were I you I'd start at Cave Creek and explore the listings from there. There are some major-league ranches in the area. Big Arabian show every year at Westworld in Scottsdale. If you drive you get to the usual Wal Marts, etc. But CC is definitely a town geared for horses. Hay, tack accessories, etc all easily gotten.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Concho, Snowflake, Taylor Az near the white mountains are very laid back ranch properties. I think it would fit your needs. Nowhere near an airport though.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Concho, Snowflake, Taylor Az near the white mountains are very laid back ranch properties. I think it would fit your needs. Nowhere near an airport though.
We probably would love them but being near an airport with direct flights from the NYC area is a must. My husband will be "commuting" for the times that we're down there so it'll need to be somewhere around SHI. We even love areas around Tucson but we have not been able to find any direct flights into that airport from the NYC area so it's out too!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa627 View Post
We probably would love them but being near an airport with direct flights from the NYC area is a must. My husband will be "commuting" for the times that we're down there so it'll need to be somewhere around SHI. We even love areas around Tucson but we have not been able to find any direct flights into that airport from the NYC area so it's out too!
Not sure what SHI means. Are you referring to Sky Harbor? The code is PHX. I'll move this thread to the Phoenix forum in that case.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:10 PM

444 posts, read 1,351,761 times
If you liked Tucson that much, why not stay in Tucson?
The Tanque Verde area is mostly large lots and horse farms. Very quiet area (there's really only one way in), not much in the way of cookie-cutter suburban development, and there are families, but it's not really a kid-oriented area.
If you're looking for it, it's on Tanque Verde Road in far northeast Tucson, basically about two miles before it heads into the mountains and becomes gravel, right around Wentworth Road.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Yes, the Cave Creek/Desert Hills/New River area is ideal for your situation. Miles of state land and national forest trails. Ride right out of your back yard. Nice mountain views and dark starry nights.

Yet, easy access to I-17, shopping & dining nearby.

This was a really hot area back in 2005 & 2006 when the market was booming, so there are many newer homes available at great prices.

Cave Creek, AZ/

Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
There is always the Show Low airport. I don't know if they would enjoy horseback riding in the white mountains outside of the reservation. From Show Low to Taylor is grass,muddy, and boring. Maybe the area between Show Low and Pinetop would be fun. Even the Vernon area would be better with the aspens. mmmm windy aspens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area