Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the style of a particular pool safety mechanism. Some options include a pool net that rests on top of the pool while others include the type of mesh-like "fence" Does anyone have any ideas as to what looks nice. And if anyone could recommend a pool fencing company, that would be helpful too. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
There was a poster here a while back who had one put in at the house he rented. I'll look around and see if I can find the info.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the style of a particular pool safety mechanism. Some options include a pool net that rests on top of the pool while others include the type of mesh-like "fence" Does anyone have any ideas as to what looks nice. And if anyone could recommend a pool fencing company, that would be helpful too. Thanks
A friend has a retractable cover you can walk on. No cleaning or chlorine needed during the winter. As for fences use aluminum, not iron that will rust along the bottom within 2 years.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the style of a particular pool safety mechanism.
A fence is difficult to build and still have your pool look inviting. It might be possible it's just I haven't seen it done.

If you are just interested in functionality then whatever option is cheapest would probably be the best choice.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:03 AM

1,999 posts, read 862,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
A fence is difficult to build and still have your pool look inviting. It might be possible it's just I haven't seen it done.

If you are just interested in functionality then whatever option is cheapest would probably be the best choice.
You have to have a fence. It's the law. Depending on where you live it has to be 4 to 5ft. A retractable solid cover may suffice and meet current codes, but prepared to dish out some serious coin.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:36 AM

537 posts, read 443,957 times
Our back yard is 220' across the back, and we have about 400' total of 6' wood fencing.

We installed a pool 3 years ago, and a tall fence is mandatory by building codes.

If you want a pool, you've just got to suck it up and install a substantial fence. It's also great to have our dog outside during the day--running around.

I had to replace a few 6" wide fence boards the other day, and they were only $2.35 each.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:42 PM

843 posts, read 563,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
You have to have a fence. It's the law. Depending on where you live it has to be 4 to 5ft. A retractable solid cover may suffice and meet current codes, but prepared to dish out some serious coin.
Please clarify. I have seen many homes, including ours, that have pools but no "internal additional pool fence". They only have the 6' block wall around the yard with a locked gate. I would even venture to say that a majority of homes with pools fall into this category.

I get that it is a really good idea for people who have young children or relatives who may visit, etc. Or if they have a shorter cyclone fence, or don't have comprehensively enclosed yard with a wall. And some may just want a second internal fence want the peace of mind to be extra safe, etc.

The OP author is referring to a "pool fence", but you did not make a distinction. I don't think it's accurate to say "It's the law" to have a dedicated, secondary internal separate pool fence in every case.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 04-16-2023 at 03:01 PM..

Old 04-16-2023, 08:15 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,295,079 times
If your home backyard is fenced with minimum 5-foot fence already all you need is self-locking latches on all home doors to the backyard, and side gates installed 54 inches high above the ground. Here is a video of someone installing one on a sliding door. The way it works on the sliding door is just a handle you push up from either side of the door so you don't get locked outside. Just keeps kids from being able to push the door open. ARS 36-1681. Pool enclosures; requirements; exceptions; enforcement

If I had kids under 6 I would install the motorized cover that way no way for a kid to slip though the fence somehow. Fences get rusted and kids yanking on the bars could eventually break one lose. If you don't have kids only want to comply with the law this is the law. We don't have kids, and our pool was installed in 1987 so I have two exemptions.

The law doesn't apply to list of things taken from above link. Notice the two I put in bold.

1. A system of sumps, irrigation canals, irrigation, flood control or drainage works constructed or operated for the purpose of storing, delivering, distributing or conveying water.

2. Stock ponds, storage tanks, livestock operations, livestock watering troughs or other structures used in normal agricultural practices.

3. Public or semi-public swimming pools.

4. A swimming pool or contained body of water or barrier constructed prior to the effective date of this article. (Pools installed prior to 4/1990)

5. Political subdivisions which enact a swimming pool barrier ordinance before the effective date of this article.

6. Political subdivisions which adopt ordinances after the effective date of this article provided that the ordinance is equal to or more stringent than the provisions of this article.

7. A residence in which all residents are at least six years of age. ( No fence required if everyone is older then 6 years of age)

Last edited by kell490; 04-16-2023 at 08:34 PM..

Old 04-17-2023, 02:07 PM

9 posts, read 5,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
We don't have a specific pool fence, simply the block wall around our home which is sufficient. Your reply makes it seem like a dedicated pool fence is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area