Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:37 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,678 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what, if any advantages between play pools and a standard size pool? I did a search for this in the Phoenix forum but I didn't find anything comparing the two. Lots of stuff asking if it's worth it, how to take care of a pool, the costs of a pool but nothing comparing a play pool vs. traditional pool.
I'm looking at purchasing a home with a pool. Many of the newer homes have a play pool while older homes have a more "traditional" size pool.
There are obvious differences that I'm already aware of. Play pools aren't as deep or typically as long as a traditional size pool. I'm assuming a play pool is only 5 feet deep or so as they never seem to have a diving board.
I'm just curious as to not only the physical differences but what the differences are in how they are used, how they stay warm or if they get too warm vs. a larger pool, how they are treated, etc.
Basically, in the real world, what would you have for your home if you were given the choice and why?

Thanks.

Last edited by maverick974; 03-24-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
You use more of the pool with a play pool. With a "deep end" everyone is up in the shallow part most of the time. You can get volleyball, basketball games in a play pool. It is hard to play volleyball and tread water.

I've had a diving pool and the diving board is nice, too. But at least for the older folks, sitting on steps and benches is the main thing after a while. The size (surface and perim) of my current playpool is at least as big as the diving pool was. I think they have smaller pools today because lots are so tiny. The water temp seems the same.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You use more of the pool with a play pool. With a "deep end" everyone is up in the shallow part most of the time. You can get volleyball, basketball games in a play pool. It is hard to play volleyball and tread water.

I've had a diving pool and the diving board is nice, too. But at least for the older folks, sitting on steps and benches is the main thing after a while. The size (surface and perim) of my current playpool is at least as big as the diving pool was. I think they have smaller pools today because lots are so tiny. The water temp seems the same.
Some good information there Ponderosa. I never thought if it that way. I'm 51 so I'm kind of interested in swimming laps just to keep in shape but I'm sure a lot of my time in the pool will just be "hanging out" and cooling off so your comments make a lot of sense in my case.
I grew up in So. Cal and when I was a kid, the deep end was the best part of the pool. It's interesting how things change as we get older. ha....

Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,668 times
My kids want a diving pool,but I have noticed play pools are more common so I have told them that is what we will likely get. I have learned since moving here that the soil/rock of the home's lot is a big factor in having a play pool. I guess some lots are just too rocky to get a deep pool for a reasonable cost? I see many, many play pools in listings. Also for this reason, I would be very hesitant to buy a home intending to add the pool. You don't know til they dig how the soil will be, cost control would be an issue.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
I think the real reason diving pools are out of favor has to do with liability issues more than digging issues. Unless your pool is really huge, having one end deep enough for diving means there will be a very sharp drop-off going from the shallow end to the deep end. Somebody who's not familiar with your pool could easily dive in a smack their face against the steep transition and snap their neck.

My pool builder doesn't even discuss contingencies if he hits rocks or caliche or whatever. He expects that and brings in a massive back-hoe from the get-go and so is prepared for anything. The builders that you have to watch out for are the ones that come in with smaller machines. As soon as the digging gets tough, then they need to call for a larger machine and up goes your bill.

Our pool goes from about 3.5' to 5.5' and we find it's a great depth for us and our kids. They're great swimmers. But like Ponderosa says, they mostly play where they can get a foot down or on floats. So the depth doesn't really matter. I designed our pool so that one side is unobstructed so that I can do laps. 3.5' is just deep enough for that on the shallow end. We also have a water slide that dumps into the deep end. Fun for the whole family and highly recommended. You don't have the issue about hitting the transition with a slide because you go in feet-first.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,000 times
Something else to think about. Pebble tec play pools tear up my feet.

PebbleFina is supposed to be the closest to plaster with an extended life.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:46 PM

114 posts, read 425,173 times
So, is the water really cooler in a diving pool?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 PM

235 posts, read 755,721 times
In my opinion, stick with an above ground, you can pick up some really nice(and really deep) ones all over the valley, there's no commitment, you save thousands, you can install it your self, cleaning is easier, you wont need a pool guy. No tile cracks, resurfacing, and in some cases depreciates the value of your home, due to the overwhelmingly large amount of pool drownings, I have met a lot of people that buy a home with a pool due to this. The list goes on. Save your self the trouble, and the money. The prices on these above grounds vary from $100 to $5,000, and if you wanna throw down 5k, you will get an above ground pool that's double the size, maybe more, than a underground pool for the price. ALSO.. I have seen this done many times, and works great! Dig a hole, the size of the above ground, and pop it in there, put some tile around it, a nice slide, you have what you would expect from an underground, for no where near the price. Good luck on your decision.

Here is a very nice example.

Last edited by Uhuh; 04-05-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: picture

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
In my opinion, stick with an above ground, you can pick up some really nice(and really deep) ones all over the valley, there's no commitment, you save thousands, you can install it your self, cleaning is easier, you wont need a pool guy. No tile cracks, resurfacing, the list goes on. Save your self the trouble, and the money. The prices on these above grounds vary from $100 to $5,000, and if you wanna throw down 5k, you will get an above ground pool that's double the size, maybe more, than a underground pool for the price. ALSO.. I have seen this done many times, and works great! Dig a hole, the size of the above ground, and pop it in there, put some tile around it, a nice slide, you have what you would expect from an underground, for no where near the price. Good luck on your decision.
Never heard of anyone having an above ground in Phoenix. It would get too hot I would think. My spa which is above ground is so hot it won't turn on in the summer because it is above the safety cutout limit. 90 degrees in the pool is bad enough, but 105

Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 PM

235 posts, read 755,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Never heard of anyone having an above ground in Phoenix. It would get too hot I would think. My spa which is above ground is so hot it won't turn on in the summer because it is above the safety cutout limit. 90 degrees in the pool is bad enough, but 105
Good point, and they do get very hot lol. My sister and An ex co worker of mine have one, both live in Glendale, they love it, but both said it was hard to keep cool at times. My sister added a canopy (something I would do above or ground) and it is very pleasant, and with the savings she had, she was able to add a few decorative touches to the area. Last bbq I went to, the kids were having fun, there was a few adults jumping in, water reached their belly button area lol, but it did the trick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area