Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 AM

131 posts, read 307,464 times

Advertisements

Everyone is entitled to their opinion for sure and there are good and bad things no matter where you are. Having said that, I've lived in SC my whole life and frankly I feel anywhere is better than here lol. No move is permanent and I think Phoenix could be a good start. I'm used to the heat + 99% humidity, cold winters, and extremely high electricity all year so that doesn't bother me. Cost of living is similar as well and mostly we are just hoping for other options of nearby vacationing. Going to Myrtle Beach vs Vegas? I'll take Vegas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:06 AM

Also, I never asked everyone to compare San Fran to phoenix. I really don't see how you an compare a beach city to a desert city. Obviously I would move to either one for totally different reasons. It's all objective anyway, some people may think SC is beautiful, but personally I think it's one big crappy ghetto lol. No city is going to have all the things we want so I can't just listen to all the negativity and stay away. I'm not afraid of conservatives, else I wouldn't have survived out here for so long lol. Besides, my husband and I keep to ourselves, don't pay attention to the news bc it's so darn depressing, and we just want some good outdoor hobbies to get into. We're very flexible and accepting, we just wanna get the heck outta here!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
I'm in IT and have known several people who have contracted at CHW, none have complained about the place. I wouldn't mind working there myself, I could walk to work.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmorgan7 View Post
Also, I never asked everyone to compare San Fran to phoenix. I really don't see how you an compare a beach city to a desert city. Obviously I would move to either one for totally different reasons. It's all objective anyway, some people may think SC is beautiful, but personally I think it's one big crappy ghetto lol. No city is going to have all the things we want so I can't just listen to all the negativity and stay away. I'm not afraid of conservatives, else I wouldn't have survived out here for so long lol. Besides, my husband and I keep to ourselves, don't pay attention to the news bc it's so darn depressing, and we just want some good outdoor hobbies to get into. We're very flexible and accepting, we just wanna get the heck outta here!
Well it sounds like you had your mind made up all along. Why ask for advice anyway? Affirmation from others that you're making the right decision?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:32 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Going to Myrtle Beach vs Vegas? I'll take Vegas!
Myrtle Beach is awesome from what I have heard. I definitely love Vegas, but Phoenix? C'mon now as it does not even remotely compare to either.

P.S Phxgreenfire has given you great advice. If you think South Carolina is a "big crappy ghetto," just wait until you get to Phx and you will truly learn the true meaning of that phrase. I was born in Phoenix and lived there for 30 years. Good riddance!!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:52 PM

I didn't ask for affirmation, I just asked why we should move there. I was merely looking for positive feedback on some nice things about Phoenix. We haven't made up our minds either, I just wanted some straight information so I could make an informed decision. Everybody is different and has their own idea of what sucks about where they live, everyone has different expectations so that's why I just wanted to know what was good about it. Anyways, thanks to those that offered positive info.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
I didn't ask for affirmation, I just asked why we should move there. I was merely looking for positive feedback on some nice things about Phoenix. We haven't made up our minds either, I just wanted some straight information so I could make an informed decision. Everybody is different and has their own idea of what sucks about where they live, everyone has different expectations so that's why I just wanted to know what was good about it. Anyways, thanks to those that offered positive info.
Let me get this straight, you want to move somewhere and only want to know the positives, even if the negatives greatly outweigh them? In that pretext, even North Dakota could be a great place for you. I will just leave it at this then:

1. A nice warm and dry winter.

2. Low cost of living.

3. Beautiful mountain scenery.

That is the only positives I could come up with.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:15 PM

Well I can determine the negatives myself when I come and visit, something that's negative to me may not be negative to you. And thank you for those 3 positive things LOL

Old 09-25-2010, 02:28 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,505 times
Positives:
-Nice weather (Monsoon, Fall-Spring, winter rains)
-All 4 major sports teams
-Well laid out, very easy to get around
-Diverse population (Not like New York) but sections of the city has more diversity than others
-Thousands of outdoor activities
-Amazing scenary and sunsets
-Excellent location with procimity to Vegas, beach, and ski resorts of Az
-Friendly people (Can't say everyone you meet is nice)
-Low cost of living
-Many events such as conventions, concerts, ect. make their way here
-7 or so lakes on east side
-Much of city is middle class or higher
-More positives but those are mine

Negatives:
-Just guess, it's one that everybody stereotypes Phoenix with but it only lasts for 3 months
-Traffic can be very bad at certain times
-Illegals
-A few days a year of high pollution
-Large retirement communities, so some drivers drive under the speedlimit in the fast lane
-Takes an hour or more to get from Mesa, on east side, to Glendale,on west side
-Sections of city have repeated housing communities
-Having to drive everywhere, if living in suburbs
-Not knowing how quickly the weather can change
-Trying to take a cold shower in the summer

Old 09-25-2010, 07:10 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Ahem.. the "Herd" museum?

Like I said, our educational system rockZ!

Only in Arizona can Dan Quayle's son... ADMIT that he's Dan Quayle's son and have lots of people vote for him.

Luckily, the Feds own the Grand Canyon, or our "conservative" legislature would have sold it off to the highest bidder - like we recently have done with nearly $1 billion in public property.

Arizona State Capitol Building for Sale - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 9/15/2009 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Whoops! I feel like a tard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area