Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM

9 posts, read 13,424 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have a possible job in Scottsdale and was looking at the Gilbert area. Is that too far? It would be a day shift job (commute concerns). We have 2 daughters (6&2) and want to be in a good school system. We would be looking at the 200k price range and would like something less than 10 years old with pool. The Gilbert area seemed to have great schools and is only 17 miles from Scottsdale. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything though.

Are there any other areas we should look at? Schools and safety are the obvious main factors. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,847 times
I would think it's possible. I'm not sure where in Scottsdale you'd be working or in Gilbert you'd be living, that could make a difference. Also, have you considered living in Scottsdale? Tempe, Mesa, Chandler and even Fountain Hills could be other options.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,014 times
My sis lives in Gilbert and commutes to Scottsdale. She doesn't have too much of a problem with it. But it also depends on the shift...sometimes she starts really early so she gets off earlier which makes the commute better.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
It really depends on where in Scottsdale - Scottsdale is shaped like a pencil - getting to the northern areas at 8 or 9 am can be really difficult, and coming home at 5 could be really frustrating as well. There's a bit of a perpetual traffic "hairball" at the 202/101/60 intersection...

Is there a reason you don't like Scottsdale schools? $200k might get you something just a few minutes from work.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the comments. I am not exactly sure where it would be Scottsdale yet as I am working with a recruiter and won't know the exact location until next week.

I have been looking at houses on realtor.com but from that it appears that Scottsdale may be a ilttle expensive. I seemed to have found homes in our price range in the Gilbert and Chandler area. I had also read a lot about the schools in the Gilbert area on this site as well as greatschools.com and they looked very good.

This is in its infancy stage right now but I am a research nut and like to get my dicks in a row before I decide if it is worth my time to continue to pursue. I haven't looked much in teh other areas mentioned but will.

Thank you all again and please feel free to continue to comment.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:28 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighouse627 View Post
I am a research nut and like to get my dicks in a row

Have you thought about N. Phoenix? It would cut the commute time in half....assuming the job is around N.Scottsdale.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:35 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,847 times
Yeah, um, I missed that when I read it. You can see where bighouse's mind is....

Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 AM

426 posts, read 1,306,297 times
Quote:
This is in its infancy stage right now but I am a research nut and like to get my dicks in a row before I decide if it is worth my time to continue to pursue.
Funniest typo I've seen in a while.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,183 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I am not exactly sure where it would be Scottsdale yet as I am working with a recruiter and won't know the exact location until next week.

I have been looking at houses on realtor.com but from that it appears that Scottsdale may be a ilttle expensive. I seemed to have found homes in our price range in the Gilbert and Chandler area. I had also read a lot about the schools in the Gilbert area on this site as well as greatschools.com and they looked very good.

This is in its infancy stage right now but I am a research nut and like to get my dicks in a row before I decide if it is worth my time to continue to pursue. I haven't looked much in teh other areas mentioned but will.

Thank you all again and please feel free to continue to comment.
I work at the Air Park in N Scottsdale and live in the San Tan Village area of Gilbert. I have been commuting for almost 3 yrs now. I'm used to it. It takes me about an hour in traffic. If you will be working closer like right off the freeway it shouldn't be too bad but it will depend on where in Scottsdale you are and where in Gilbert you are. Good Luck

Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 PM

OMG...Ok, I obviously missed that...LOL. That is not where my mind is but I am glad I could make everyone laugh. I will now look at moving to northern Alaska where no one caught that.

Thanks to all for your input and when I know more about where the job is I will post that but I will post it correctly and edit my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area