Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:05 AM

156 posts, read 194,311 times

Advertisements

Just focus on decreasing crime in general. It's starting to seem like both sides of the Ferguson conflict only care about the loss of human life when they can use it to stoke racial tensions.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,391,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
Statistics say that blacks commit more crimes as a percent of their population. They also commit an extraordinary amount of crimes against whites.

The media is partially to blame, often times they don't report on the race of the criminal. Also, stories of black on white crime don't usually make it to the main media sources.
You make this assertion about what "statistics" say without giving any information about WHERE you get your statistics and what they are. I've never seen any research "proving" that blacks are, by nature, any more criminal than white people are. What you CAN easily prove is that white people commit the most heinous crimes. Serial killers? Almost all white. People who assassinate or attempt to assassinate American presidents? 100% white. Mafia members? Almost all white. People who fleece hundreds out of their life savings? Almost all white. Yet racial bias causes many Americans, even some black Americans, to assume that your charge that blacks commit more crimes than whites is correct. Historian David Levering summarizes the stereotype: "Whites commit crimes but blacks are criminals."

Lisa Bloom of Court TV writes, "The black-man-as-criminal stereotype runs deep. The archetype is so prevalent that the majority of whites and African Americans agreed with the statement 'blacks are aggressive or violent' in a national survey. In support of these findings, other research indicates that the public generally associates violent street crime with African Americans. Other nationwide research has shown that the public perceives that blacks are involved in a greater percentage of violent crime than official statistics indicate they actually are ... The standard assumption that criminals are black and blacks are criminals is so prevalent that in one study, 60% of viewers who viewed a crime story with no picture of the perpetrator falsely recalled seeing one, and of those, 70% believed he was African American. When we think about crime, we 'see black,' even when it’s not present at all." [Among Bloom's sources: http://www.sagepub.com/gabbidonstudy/articles/Welch.pdf

To get an idea of our lopsided ideas about criminality and race, look at drug arrests. Marijuana possession charges make up nearly half of total drug arrests. One would certainly assume that blacks abuse drugs far worse than whites if the source of the information is drug arrests. Because the vast majority of American counties arrest blacks at a higher rate than whites, with some, Los Angeles County for example, having a disparity of greater than 10 to 1. Yet sociologists having studied this subject very carefully conclude that blacks and whites use marijuana almost identical proportions (although whites more commonly sell it). According to the FBI/Uniform Crime Reporting Data, however, equal use does not mean equal punishment. In 2010, the arrest rates for marijuana possession per 100,000 is 700 black versus 200 white. And this disparity occurs irrespective of the number of black citizens in an area. Interestingly, in Iowa blacks are 8.34 times more likely to be arrested for possession than white. In Washington, DC, with its huge African-American population and unusually high representation on the metro police force, blacks are 8.05 times more likely than whites to be arrested. Again, noting that they do not use marijuana eight times more.
The black/white marijuana arrest gap, in nine charts - The Washington Post

Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,377,829 times
[quote=danielj72;36158810]I find this post kinda disturbing. Whether or not black on white crime is a problem is irrelevant here, where I see the problem is that this post suggest that this poster does not have the right to ask this question, and

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-20-2014 at 08:40 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 AM

3,470 posts, read 4,881,030 times
I actually thought about this some the past few days. I have an opinion but it will probably be interpreted as racist, although I don't intend for it to be, but it logically makes sense if you think about it.

Where do these sorts of things and riots typically take place? The low income, predominately black, single parent home, high percentage of unemployed and on some form of government assistance and usually the areas commonly referred to as "the ghetto." I suspect that a significant percentage of the ones rioting, attacking the police and looting are most likely habitually unemployed and also not very well educated.

Considering that the answer to the OP's question would lead one to think that whites are too busy going to work, taking kids to after school activities, going to social functions with colleagues and friends, spending time on their hobby such as golf, working on their pleasure car, projects around the house and yard, etc. Myself and my friends simply don't have time to go spend days on end rioting in the streets and would never burn down buildings or loot.

It is my opinion, these out of control riots we see from time to time only bring a negative perception to the black communities and perhaps create new racism and definitely perpetuate it. They only serve to reinforce the racial tension.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,377,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I actually thought about this some the past few days. I have an opinion but it will probably be interpreted as racist, although I don't intend for it to be, but it logically makes sense if you think about it.

Where do these sorts of things and riots typically take place? The low income, predominately black, single parent home, high percentage of unemployed and on some form of government assistance and usually the areas commonly referred to as "the ghetto." I suspect that a significant percentage of the ones rioting, attacking the police and looting are most likely habitually unemployed and also not very well educated.

Considering that the answer to the OP's question would lead one to think that whites are too busy going to work, taking kids to after school activities, going to social functions with colleagues and friends, spending time on their hobby such as golf, working on their pleasure car, projects around the house and yard, etc. Myself and my friends simply don't have time to go spend days on end rioting in the streets and would never burn down buildings or loot.

It is my opinion, these out of control riots we see from time to time only bring a negative perception to the black communities and perhaps create new racism and definitely perpetuate it. They only serve to reinforce the racial tension.

These out-of-control riots definitely perpetuate a negative perception of black people. I don't know why they happen. I would suspect it's more likely due to a cultural defensiveness due to history, passed down by generations that experienced a much harsher history than more modern generations, and so people get infuriated, and they express their anger to show that they will never allow anything like what happened in the past to happen again. Maybe it works in some ways. I don't know...but it definitely paints the rioters as stupid and violent.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,546,315 times
Mod cut.

I am empathetic (mortified) for any African Americans reading this thread. I am sorry.

I would counter with I wish African Americans could do more to not
have crimes committed against them coming from Caucasians...it didn't
work so well for the Native Americans, tho...the European white Christians that came
here and Hawaii have left their mark.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-20-2014 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Off topic.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 AM

20,141 posts, read 16,280,537 times

Closed for moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy