Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times

Advertisements

Someone taught me something and I liked it. And wanted to share.

Someone said that people mistreat each other BECAUSE they think that the others are not good.

Lots of people have a general idea about others, that we are not that good. Religions teach that we are bad and need redemption. And so, when people meet "not good" people, they don't trust them and they don't always treat them the best.

Imagine if you met a GOOD person (or someone you believed was good), you would show him warmth, politeness, respect and maybe even affection.
Imagine you met someone who you believe you should not trust, then you are very cautious, and sometimes even hostile (if you believe something bad about this person).

So the ironic thing is: people in this world think that they are not generally that good and it's like a self fulfilling prophesy: they start to treat each other as though the others are not good. And that behavior makes themselves not be good. And therefore this cycle of bad behavior keeps going on and on.

If people believed that people were generally good, everybody would treat each other better and people themselves would become better overall.

So, if we want this world to be a better place, we have to stay away from teachings that teach us that people are bad and embrace the teachings that help us see the good in others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,675 times
.. even hostile (if you believe something bad about this person).

So the ironic thing is: people in this world think that they are not generally that good and it's like a self fulfilling prophesy: they start to treat each other as though the others are not good. And that behavior makes themselves not be good. And therefore this cycle of bad behavir keeps going on and

That I believe is rather true. The people in this country I live in and esp, the capital - are like that in general. But they mostly think they are good folks, just reserved. Ironically, it ranks very high on world rankings plus it has many apologists...
I treat people decently until they give me reasons not to. Of course, it doesn't work if people are discriminatory, arrogant and uncaring.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,675 times
Repeat post.

Last edited by Gudra; 03-02-2013 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 01:06 PM

132 posts, read 188,448 times
Not necessarily. People can treat good people bad not because they think they are not good but for their own selfish reasons.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:01 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Someone taught me something and I liked it. And wanted to share.

Someone said that people mistreat each other BECAUSE they think that the others are not good.

Lots of people have a general idea about others, that we are not that good. when people meet "not good" people, they don't trust them and they don't always treat them the best.

Imagine if you met a GOOD person (or someone you believed was good), you would show him warmth, politeness, respect and maybe even affection.
Imagine you met someone who you believe you should not trust, then you are very cautious, and sometimes even hostile (if you believe something bad about this person).

So the ironic thing is: people in this world think that they are not generally that good and it's like a self fulfilling prophesy: they start to treat each other as though the others are not good. And that behavior makes themselves not be good. And therefore this cycle of bad behavior keeps going on and on.

If people believed that people were generally good, everybody would treat each other better and people themselves would become better overall.

So, if we want this world to be a better place, we have to stay away from teachings that teach us that people are bad and embrace the teachings that help us see the good in others.
I agree with the basic point of what you are saying. From my experience in life, I've received the impression that there are some people who are disposed to expect the worst of people, perhaps due to their own experiences in life. I try to steer away from expecting this of people, and though I've encountered my share of people who have done personal harm to me, I still attempt to see others as basically good people until they have done something to form a different opinion in my mind (even then, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and of course realize that not everyone is perfect and that we all have our bad days). Actually, a large percentage of the people I've personally encountered have been good people, to me and to others. Perhaps I've just been fortunate, but I will try to continue to cultivate my estimation of the overall goodness of humanity which is what I've long believed.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:48 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I personally don't believe people mistreat "others because they think that the others are not good"..I think people generally would treat people as they themselves would want to be treated..Only people who have passed judgement (usually based on what someone else has said) would treat someone (they don't know) with hostility. If I met two people (one good, one bad) I would make my own desicion on how to treat them based on my own interactions with them, not someone elses. I've known people who others have said were "no good", yet found that to not be true...I think most people give others the benefit of the doubt and assume they are kind people......The "teachings" that you speak of are not something I know of...we'd all be fools if we really believed that all people are good...in this day of corruption and greed, and lies and deceit, it's easy to understand (and see) that they're not.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times
It's better to believe that people are good though.... even if they are not. Because our beliefs create our actions.

And, many people who are considered "bad" by others are actually just misunderstood and misjudged.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I wouldn't say it "was better to believe that people are good", maybe better to assume they are good. Their actions would show the truth, and then you'd know what to believe.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 PM

296 posts, read 413,790 times
I deserve to think good thoughts about other people. Coincidentally, I am surrounded by good people.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
I feel that the world would also be a better place if not only did more people believe others were good, but that they also believed themselves to be good.

There's this saying that goes, "love your neighbor as yourself" but not many people love themselves and often they project that dislike of self onto others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy