Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,358,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
I deserve to think good thoughts about other people. Coincidentally, I am surrounded by good people.
Yes you do flip33, and that's probably why you're surrounded by good people. It's your positive energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 AM

149 posts, read 344,498 times
The bible speaks of many things on this subject.Jesus was kind to all had compassion for all,yet there are many passages that warn us to beware of evil.Evil is real,evil people are real.I never realized that people would gather themselves against you and your family because of you you were,or what you had.They will!
It doesnt matter how nice or kind you are to some they still will work against you if they have evil ways in their hearts.We have lived this!
Being new to this,never even thinking of such,it took my husband and I a few years to put what was happening to us together.When we realized that we had bought into a very bad hearted community we were beside ourselves.There are two church's in our community both not wanting to get envolved with the issues.One is more of a Black church and the other all white.It is a old community with many secrets.Because you have bought into this seemingley on the surface area,you are trapped.It doesnt matter how nice your place is,no one but the unlawful wonts to live here.No one that knows of this area and is God fearing law abideing people wonts to even come around here,they dont wont to get mixed up in what has been going on here for years,and years.Usually yes I belive alot of people are good natured,but there are a huge amount to that will gather themselves against anyone with a different heart or mindset and they will bring you down any and everyway they can.And then they will mock you and say you got what you deserved.You are labeled by these people,if you wont bend to their will,they will break you!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:01 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,316,227 times
The public relations industry and media conglomerates in America can make us believe whatever they set out to make us believe, which is exactly why we believe what we do. So all that would be required would be for media and PR to be placed in the hands of a few virtuous people, and the world would become a better place.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,556,524 times
I agree but the world is full of self centered, egotistical people. They pretend to care about others and most are just pretending. If it's convenient they will help someone.

That said I do believe in Karma and do a good deed when I can.

It's nice to fantasize but this is real world.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,316,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post

That said I do believe in Karma and do a good deed when I can.
I don't believe in Karma, but I go ahead and do the good deeds anyway. I sleep better, even if I never get paid back.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 94,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post

If people believed that people were generally good, everybody would treat each other better and people themselves would become better overall.
We already do that. We reward "good" people and we punish "bad" people.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 PM

3,417 posts, read 5,164,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Someone taught me something and I liked it. And wanted to share.

Someone said that people mistreat each other BECAUSE they think that the others are not good.

Lots of people have a general idea about others, that we are not that good. Religions teach that we are bad and need redemption. And so, when people meet "not good" people, they don't trust them and they don't always treat them the best.

Imagine if you met a GOOD person (or someone you believed was good), you would show him warmth, politeness, respect and maybe even affection.
Imagine you met someone who you believe you should not trust, then you are very cautious, and sometimes even hostile (if you believe something bad about this person).

So the ironic thing is: people in this world think that they are not generally that good and it's like a self fulfilling prophesy: they start to treat each other as though the others are not good. And that behavior makes themselves not be good. And therefore this cycle of bad behavior keeps going on and on.

If people believed that people were generally good, everybody would treat each other better and people themselves would become better overall.

So, if we want this world to be a better place, we have to stay away from teachings that teach us that people are bad and embrace the teachings that help us see the good in others.
I think what you are trying to get at is that we shouldn't be prejudiced in a negative way, which I agree with, but I would go further and say we should not be prejudiced at all. We should not assume people are bad, as this will lead to outcomes like the ones you describe. However, we should also not assume people are good, as this can lead to problems as well. What if someone is really bad, and we assume they're good? We open ourselves up to the danger that this person will harm us. Rather, we should go in with an open mind, and acknowledge that either one of these things is possible. It is best to avoid assumption

Old 04-05-2013, 06:13 AM

65 posts, read 76,957 times
Everyone starts out as a innocent child believing that all things/everyone is good but are disappointed.You can't convince such a person to believe otherwise after having experienced first hand that the human heart is wicked.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,589,148 times
The world is actually a pretty safe place, with all the technology we are more aware about issues going on around the world so it may seem like a crazy place out there.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:16 PM

122 posts, read 338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The world is actually a pretty safe place, with all the technology we are more aware about issues going on around the world so it may seem like a crazy place out there.
So, take a walk around the block and report how many oversize diesel locomotive pickup trucks were throttling you in the face. Its worse than "crazy" out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy