Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,885 times

Advertisements

Sometimes l think that life is too short, not enough, I should live for.. at least two, if I think about it and count the days, the ​​time's idea goes shrinks itself more and more , when the day settle down, I realize that I have not had the time to live, when someone ask to me.. has life a meaning, I can not answer because I can not understand the question, while the perception of time changes becomes faster and faster, it seems that knowledge makes void the dimension of time, l become too tired to believe that this is an effect without a cause.
Some people think that the cause is a God and the man is the effect, but I do not understand the relationship between the two elements, because the one is too far away from the other, at last I'm just a speck in the infinite universe

post your monologue about the meaning of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,450,813 times
I think comedian Bill Hicks summed it up very well in 3-4 minutes

Bill Hicks - It's Just A Ride - YouTube

Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
Sometimes l think that life is too short, not enough, I should live for.. at least two, if I think about it and count the days, the ​​time's idea goes shrinks itself more and more , when the day settle down, I realize that I have not had the time to live, when someone ask to me.. has life a meaning, I can not answer because I can not understand the question, while the perception of time changes becomes faster and faster, it seems that knowledge makes void the dimension of time, l become too tired to believe that this is an effect without a cause.
Some people think that the cause is a God and the man is the effect, but I do not understand the relationship between the two elements, because the one is too far away from the other, at last I'm just a speck in the infinite universe

"Meaning" is about how we interpret things. Life is vast and with many mysteries. When you try to interpret something like life, it just seems to lead to more questions than answers. And that can become a mind-game quickly. So I have stopped trying to give it meaning and just live it day to day.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post

I think that when people are happy, they don't question the meaning of life and they don't want to stop living. They just want to go on and keep being happy.

But when people are lacking in something/unfulfilled/unhappy, they start to question the meaning of life.

So therefore, I think that happiness IS the meaning of life. If you're happy, your life is meaningful. If you're not happy, then you're not sure anymore. And in the latter case, sometimes it helps to believe that you live in order to make life better for your children, or make it better for a society or bring pleasure to a god or serve a god...

Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,028 times
I'll hear or see something unexpected. You meet a stranger or see a squirrel run across your yard. Was it planned or did it just happen. Is there a meaning? No. So, with that in mind, what is the meaning of life? There is no meaning of life. It just happens.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,650 times
Remember what you did when your goldfish died? Wait a minute - that's a bad example. Remember what you did when your parakeet or hamster died? You put it in a box and buried it in the ground. With people, we spend a little more on the box. You are here and then you are not.

Any time spent on guessing why events transpire as they do or why you exist is wasted. Embrace life and strive to do as little damage along the way as possible. You will not get a second chance.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,885 times
Iit is said that humanity lives a sort of parallel existence, rich or poor, good or bad, we will end up at the same arrival point, just the idea that l have to go to the hell with my neighbors.... it does not let me quiet

Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,339 times
The meaning of life is to procreate in order to propagate the species.
What I want out of life is far more.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM

775 posts, read 740,485 times
Life has no intrinsic meaning. It's up to you to create purpose for your life.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,917 times
Life means whatever you want it to mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy