Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 23,309 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I just graduated 2 years ago. I work IN NYC, have a great job that I dont want to leave. Currently I commute about 2 hours, so I dont really mind that I would have to commute that long in Philly. . I have a ton of friends in the Manayunk area and others on the outskirts of Philly. Ideally I would like a place around 500 a month but in a good location to bars etc. Any recommendations?

I would drive to Trenton and take NJ Transit. Any areas that are about 20-30 mins from Trenton?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times
Burlington County, NJ is far easier commuting to NYC.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
have you considered dumping your car and taking Amtrak?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 23,309 times
living outside of Philly I will def need a car though. Amtrak is also like 1100 per month.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsacamano View Post
Hey guys, I just graduated 2 years ago. I work IN NYC, have a great job that I dont want to leave. Currently I commute about 2 hours, so I dont really mind that I would have to commute that long in Philly. . I have a ton of friends in the Manayunk area and others on the outskirts of Philly. Ideally I would like a place around 500 a month but in a good location to bars etc. Any recommendations?

I would drive to Trenton and take NJ Transit. Any areas that are about 20-30 mins from Trenton?

Thanks!
Unless you're sharing space with one (or more) of your friends, it's highly unlikely that you will find anything available for $500. If you like Manayunk, ask your friends there if they could use a roommate. The nightlife is not quite as good as the various neighborhoods downtown in Center City but at the end of a 2 hour commute, there are worse places for a (presumably) 20something to find themselves at the end of the day. Just be prepared for some tough winter driving as the hilly terrain in Manayunk can be challenging in the snow.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:37 AM

19 posts, read 65,249 times
You could take the R7 from 30th street then get the NJ train . If you move to Manayunk take the train from there to 30th street . A trail pass is $130 a month

Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
It sounds like you're looking to live in the suburbs? That's tough.

As was suggested, anywhere along 295 in Burlington Co. and even down into Camden Co. will put you within 30 minutes of Hamilton Station (you might want to check on the parking situation at the stations).

Also, you could look north of Philly, near Willow Grove, that will put you near the entrance to the PA Turnpike, which connects to the NJ Turnpike at exit 6.

But really, if you add up what you'll be spending on your car - insurance, gas, tolls, maintenance, parking at the train station, and the money a monthly pass on NJTransit will cost you I would gladly pay the $1100 for Amtrak, have a one seat ride, and cut at least 30 minutes off my trip (and be able to sleep en route) - - - not to mention that you should be able to pay for half of it pre-tax through TransitChek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia