Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 AM

86 posts, read 417,407 times

Advertisements

Grad student: live near Villanova or in Philly?
I'm 23 and I've been accepted to the JD law program at Villanova University. I've been to Philadelphia before for about a week, and visited Villanova twice. I don't understand how students can afford to live there. I'm too old for dorm living but I don't remember seeing any apartments. All I saw were wealthy homes, people, and cars. The town features basketball's Dr. J and a Ferrari dealership, and the school is Jesuit- I'm non-religious lower-middle class, so I don't know if I would fit in with the students or people around there.

I've also considered living in Philadelphia and commuting to Villanova. I liked the city a lot, but I heard the train ride is about 45 minutes from downtown, and I don't know if I could do that day-in, day-out. I'm from the South where everyone drives everywhere and I don't know if I could give up my car for a train. What's the drive like between Villanova and the city?

I don't know anything about places between Villanova and Philly on the main line. I would hope to limit my maximum monthly rent to $900-1100, all-inclusive, but I'm not familiar on rent prices in the area.

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
A couple of things . . . the train ride from CC to Villanova is more like 30 minutes than 45. Depending on what time you would be going, the drive could range from highly aggravating at rush hour to pretty easy at off-peak times. You'd have the option of taking highway (76 to 476 - Nova is a short distance from Exit 13 on 476) or local streets (longer and more lights).

There are a lot of rentals in between the city and Villanova - check towns like Narberth, Ardmore, Haverford & Bryn Mawr if you can't find something in Villanova. All these places are along the same train ride and would be a much shorter drive.

Also, Nova is Catholic but not Jesuit, and the law school will be somewhat different than the undergraduate program. The religious and class issues should only be an issue if you make it one.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 AM

96 posts, read 360,641 times
For 1L, I would really recommend living somewhere near school (eg., Bryn Rosemont, Villanova, Wayne, all of which have apartment buildings along Lancaster Avenue). You want to be close to school because you will be spending a lot of time in class, in a study group (at least for the first semester) and in the library. At the end of the day (or night), it's nice to have a quick trip home rather than 30 minutes on the train and then a walk from the station.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
A lot of students live in Conshohocken as it is more affordable, has a young vibe and a small walkable downtown with bars, restaurants etc...

Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,225 times
Congrats on getting in! Hope you do well at Villanova.

I agree with mltimes, as a 1L, you'll want to be closer to campus, so places like Wayne and Conshohocken are great places to look. You schedule is different as a 1L (consuming) and you'll be adjusting, its better to be closer to school, and then move in your second year if you find an area you like more or think the commute will be doable. Plus, let's say you have classes that run from 8am-2pm, and then you have a study session at 5pm. Being close is great, you can go home, get something to eat, relax and return to school. Its really hard to do that if you live in the city and can definitely get tiring. Its also nice to be closer for other things, going to the library, going to hear a speaker, meeting classmates, etc.

Also, Jesuit is Catholic, so that's why the OP said Jesuit, many catholic universities are Jesuit. Villanova happens to be founded by the Augustinian order, also a Catholic order.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
Grad student: live near Villanova or in Philly?
I'm 23 and I've been accepted to the JD law program at Villanova University. I've been to Philadelphia before for about a week, and visited Villanova twice. I don't understand how students can afford to live there. I'm too old for dorm living but I don't remember seeing any apartments. All I saw were wealthy homes, people, and cars. The town features basketball's Dr. J and a Ferrari dealership, and the school is Jesuit- I'm non-religious lower-middle class, so I don't know if I would fit in with the students or people around there.

I don't know anything about places between Villanova and Philly on the main line. I would hope to limit my maximum monthly rent to $900-1100, all-inclusive, but I'm not familiar on rent prices in the area.

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
The drive between Philly and Villanova is very busy at the least.. I use to live in Newtown Square and drove past Villanova U every day....I would think that Bryn Mawr is expensive and my old town has apts. but they are usually taken soon as they are for rent.

Try Ardmore on the same road as Villanova. There are a good amount of apartments there and a short ride to Nova U.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
The Ferrari dealer is in Bryn Mawr :P

Old 03-18-2009, 10:40 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
I am a faculty member at Villanova. I agree with everybody else that it is a must to live close to the campus. One place that hasn't been mentioned is King of Prussia. It is about 6 miles from Villanova and rents are much more reasonable. A lot of students live at the Marquis, Kingswood Apartments and Gulph Mills Village. The religious component of our curriculum is strictly in the undergraduate program. It need not be a concern of yours. The Law School is almost an autonomous part of the university. We never hear form them! Welcome to Villanova

Old 03-18-2009, 11:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am a faculty member at Villanova. I agree with everybody else that it is a must to live close to the campus. One place that hasn't been mentioned is King of Prussia. It is about 6 miles from Villanova and rents are much more reasonable. A lot of students live at the Marquis, Kingswood Apartments and Gulph Mills Village. The religious component of our curriculum is strictly in the undergraduate program. It need not be a concern of yours. The Law School is almost an autonomous part of the university. We never hear form them! Welcome to Villanova
Excellent suggestions from everyone.

Gulph Mills Village as happy Rider suggested is only 5-10 minute drive to campus. The Lafayette at Valley Forge would be another good option imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia