Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,424 times

Advertisements

So I have a few questions I'm hoping to get some advice on. I am moving from Florida and going to be attending Villanova's Grad Program (Masters in Finance ) this summer and am debating between living in center city or a suburb surrounding the school. If I live in the city I would sell my car and take the SEPTA to and from campus. Also plan on interning in the city. Can you guys give me the pros and cons of living in center city vs. living in a suburb around the school. Is it reasonable for a student to live in the city? It sounds much more exciting but don't know if its financially doable. Was looking to spend around 700 on rent and want a roommate. Is the public transportation reliable?

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
If $700 is your half of a 2BR that you plan to share, then it might be doable in Center City. Do note that depending on where you live in CC that it would be a 25-35 minute train ride to Villanova. If you have night classes, that could get old. The only significant "con" I can think for you would be that city residents pay a wage tax on any salary that they earn, whether or not they work in the city. If you work/intern in the city but live in the suburbs, you would pay a somewhat smaller wage tax.

There isn't really anything going on in Villanova proper. Ardmore is about 10 minutes away and has a number of apartments with relatively reasonable rents. Along with Bryn Mawr and Wayne, they would provide a decent number of after-hours diversions. That whole stretch between Wynnewood and (arguably) Paoli/Malvern is called the Main Line, a contiguous row of traditionally upscale neighborhoods. The biggest "con" for your purposes might be that nightlife will end early and isn't as "raucous" compared to the city.

You would most likely take SEPTA's Thorndale/Paoli Regional Rail line is very reliable except perhaps during the fall when leaves can make the rails slippery and subsquently slows the ride down a bit.

Don't forget to contact Villanova's off-campus housing department for ideas.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 AM

4,530 posts, read 4,060,202 times
Looks like the NSHL also goes through there.

I think financially alone everything makes sense to live in the city. When your not working you won't have to pay the wage tax. When you are working it will be downtown so you'll have to pay it anyways. And when you're working it will be downtown so you'll be a short commute to work.

You have the opportunity to live in Center City now, if you don't do it then when will you? Would you live in the burbs of NYC when you could be in the city for 700/mo?

Last edited by MikeNigh; 12-19-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Looks like the NSHL also goes through there.
True, the OP could take the Market-Frankford El (aka "the Blue Line") from CC to 69th Street and connect with the Norristown High Speed Line to Villanova. Having worked out there for a bit back in the day, I recall the NHSL being a bit further from campus than the Regional Rail line and would be a longer trip for not much less $. At least it would provide some flexibility if the OP needed to be at school late for whatever reason.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:48 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,716,293 times
If you have a roommate, than living in Center City on $700 a month will be doable. You may have to live along a subway line and take the subway to Center City than transfer over to a regional rail line. I think you should do it though... your social life will thank you.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:44 PM

9,368 posts, read 13,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHERISE1 View Post
So I have a few questions I'm hoping to get some advice on. I am moving from Florida and going to be attending Villanova's Grad Program (Masters in Finance ) this summer and am debating between living in center city or a suburb surrounding the school. If I live in the city I would sell my car and take the SEPTA to and from campus. Also plan on interning in the city. Can you guys give me the pros and cons of living in center city vs. living in a suburb around the school. Is it reasonable for a student to live in the city? It sounds much more exciting but don't know if its financially doable. Was looking to spend around 700 on rent and want a roommate. Is the public transportation reliable?

Thanks a bunch
If you don't mind what would probably be a 35-45-minute door-to-door commute if you live near Suburban Station or Market East, then go for it (and definitely take the regional rail 11 times out of 10).

There's some stuff going on in Ardmore/Bryn Mawr. It's definitely not Center City, but it's far from a dead zone (though the scene is very undergrad/grad student-y, as opposed to the general young professional vibe you'll find in CC). It comes down to this: do you want an urban lifestyle? If so, there's no substitute for Center City. While the commute isn't speedy, it's short/hassle-free enough to make it all worthwhile.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 AM

584 posts, read 1,426,470 times
You could also consider the University City area, and then get the regional rail at either University City or 30th St.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:51 AM

9,368 posts, read 13,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
You could also consider the University City area, and then get the regional rail at either University City or 30th St.
Regional Rail doesn't go to the Main Line from U City Station. It does from 30th Street, but that only saves a couple minutes' time.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:43 PM

182 posts, read 377,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHERISE1 View Post

Thanks a bunch
Yeah, Center City is quite doable on a $700 budget. You may have to do some digging, but I think you might actually be able to find an apartment for the semester in U City. If not semester, but permanently in U City for that amount of money. If I can offer a resource, I think padmapper is great at finding cheap apartments at a certain amount of money.

Philadelphia Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Map-Based Apartment Search

Just be wary of post that seem too good to be true and people that won't post photos or even allow you to call them...!

I think the Thorndale Line goes out there, although you can ride the MFL and the NHSL, or the 125 and the NHSL there...You might want to use Google Maps to help you understand this...

At any rate, living in a city would be better because there is less need for a car, and you can basically walk to everything. Although crime may be a problem, you will certainly be safe in the Center City area (but you still have to careful though). There's a lot a more nightlife in the city, and you don't have to worry about staying out in the club too late and missing the last train or bus home. But I will admit things will be a little tight being in the neighborhood you want to be in. You may have to do quite a bit of number crunching though...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia