Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,522 times

Advertisements

My wife will be working at U Penn and we are looking to move my family there in the next 6-8 months. One dog, two kids (3 and 5) and a housefull of stuff. We are not really "city people" but I am excited to be close to a city with lots to offer the kids (museums, art, history...cheesesteaks!). Anyway we will probably have a budget in the neighborhood of $250-325K and are most concerned with 1) safety of neighborhood, 2) quality of schools (no special needs, but my kids are both pretty advanced and I don't want to jeopardize that). Willing to deal with a commute to work it out, but I would like some "real people" advice about good neighborhoods within 30-40min drive.
Any other "tidbits" like places w/ decent lot sizes, character of neighborhoods, etc. are VERY appreciated. Thanks to all...this advice is sooo helpful and you guys rock for helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 03:43 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,531,961 times
Wallingford-Swarthmore and Rose Tree Media schools are the best for your buck close to the city. They are also both great places to live with older homes and friendly people. Media has a walkable downtown with a Trader Joes, restaurants, a trolley - its right out of a Rockwell painting. Wallingford and Swarthmore are right next door and have a liberal collegiate feel with people being very friendly and very accepting of everyone. They are accessible to the city via the R3 train, buses, the trolley...

After that would be Haverford schools (Havertown). Also great for families tho less tolerant of diversity than the ones above, but also closer to the city limits and Main Line. I think its on the R5 Line.

Springfield, Delco schools are further down but this area is a tad closer than the Media or Swarthmore to the city and may be more affordable. Also on the R3.

If you choose Catholic school, you could live in Drexel Hill or Lansdowne - even closer to the city, great architecture, some big houses/lots, lower prices but taxes are relatively high for poor schools and Lansdowne is close to badder areas so property crime is not unheard of.

Further out Broomall/Newtown Square have good schools and nice people but hard to get to a train to the city.

Interboro and Ridley Park SDs are good but not great but you may find housing more affordable and you can live along the R2 train route.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:46 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,940,450 times
Yeah I would say orrmobl is right on the money for his/her description of all the town named. I would have said exactly the same thing, except that I personally would avoid Lansdowne (Upper Darby schools) or Interboro/Ridley Park. Proximity to the city is good but crime and lower income areas are higher and schools suffer considerably for it.

I was raised in the Media/Wallingford Swathmore area and absolutely love it, some parts have some main street urban charm and some parts of outer Rose Tree Media are downright rural. You won't be able to buy a huge house in your price range, but I'd say a comfortable older one.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,988,611 times
Lansdowne shares schools with Aldan and Darby Boro, not with Upper Darby.

I would say anywhere on the R3 between Swarthmore and Elwyn. Anywhere on the Route 100 trolley that's not in Norristown or Philadelphia and anywhere on the Route 101 trolley between Scenic Rd. and Media. Although given your price range you'll probably want to stick with the 101 and R3 (Delaware County).

Unless Penn is providing free parking the time and expense of driving there everyday will probably make taking the train a lot more attractive. Between the hospitals, the students, the residents, and everyone passing through from Center City I think traffic in U. City can be worse than in Center City.

Even if you don't use it everyday it's always good to have nearby just in case.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,940,450 times
Sorry there must be some confusion on my part, my best friend in high school lived squarely in Lansdowne and attended UDHS.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,531,961 times
I believe there's a strip with Lansdowne post office and UD schools, but I wouldn't say it's squarely in Lansdowne.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,225,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchycat10 View Post
Anyway we will probably have a budget in the neighborhood of $250-325K and are most concerned with 1) safety of neighborhood, 2) quality of schools (no special needs, but my kids are both pretty advanced and I don't want to jeopardize that). Willing to deal with a commute to work it out, but I would like some "real people" advice about good neighborhoods within 30-40min drive.
Any other "tidbits" like places w/ decent lot sizes, character of neighborhoods, etc. are VERY appreciated. Thanks to all...this advice is sooo helpful and you guys rock for helping.
With a budget of $250-$325K you really dont have to concern yourself with safety. For the most part suburban neighborhoods in that price range are incredibly safe and devoid of crime.

I will third the towns that have already been mentioned due to the great schools and relative easy commute to Penn.

Nether Providence
Wallingford
Media
Middletown Township
Marple Township
Newtown Square
Broomall
Havertown
Ardmore
Narberth

Good Luck

Old 09-12-2008, 12:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,988,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
I believe there's a strip with Lansdowne post office and UD schools, but I wouldn't say it's squarely in Lansdowne.
I don't think there's any comparing Upper Darby (Drexel Hill) to Darby Boro

Old 09-12-2008, 06:39 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,098,813 times
I can't believe that they could find a house in Swarthmore-Wallingford for that price range. Taxes in that area, especially Swarthmore, will be a deal-killer as well (prepare to spend $8-$12k a year or more in Swarthmore.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,225,958 times
Most houses in Wallingford will exceed th3 $325 figure but there are a few houses out there that will fit under that price range.

http://www.weichert.com/search/realestate/PropertyListing.aspx?P=19369722&cityid=55253&q=Wal lingford%2c+Pennsylvania&maxpr=325 (broken link)

Wallingford, PA 19086 Real Estate: MLS # 5135485 (http://www.weichert.com/search/realestate/PropertyListing.aspx?P=15396638&cityid=55253&q=Wal lingford%2c+Pennsylvania&maxpr=325 - broken link)

Wallingford, PA 19086 Real Estate: MLS # 5373333 (http://www.weichert.com/search/realestate/PropertyListing.aspx?P=20565595&cityid=55253&q=Wal lingford%2c+Pennsylvania&maxpr=325 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia