Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,089 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

I will be relocating to Philly at the beginning of August and I will be working at the UPenn near 39th & Spruce Street. I am a family man with a two month old baby. I need advice and suggestions for finding a decent suburb. Following are my priorities:

1. Safe, calm and quite neighbor hood.
2. Prefer greenery.
3. Ready to commute by rail but would like to limit it to 20-30min.
4. Access to rail road is thus very important
5. Affordable rented apartments in the range of $800-1000.
6. Good options for grocery shops, markets and drug stores etc.
7. Options for good quality child day care.

A friend of mine have suggested Roxborough, please let me know if you have information on that and of any other place that you thing is good fit given my requirement. Top priority is safety and commute. Thank you for all your help....

Last edited by Mystic River; 05-29-2012 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Type errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM

9,000 posts, read 21,268,439 times
Roxborough is actually a city neighborhood that borders the suburbs. It's not that close to rail but you could commute down to Penn by bus. It's in a hilly area though, which could make commuting and getting around in general a little tougher in a snowstorm.

Consider Ardmore, a relatively affordable and close-in member of the affluent string of towns known NW of the city as the Main Line. Also consider Media.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 PM

58 posts, read 146,859 times
You don't have to go to the suburbs for a nice family neighborhood with greenery. University City
borders Penn and it has several areas that match your description.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:33 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,962,163 times
If safety is you highest priority, you have to choose the burbs. No question.. Take a look at Drexel Hill. Close to work and very nice area

Old 05-31-2012, 06:25 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,500,950 times
Roxborough is very safe. It also has a commuter rail line that runs along the river and would provide a 20-30 minute commute. It borders Wissahickon Park, which is a HUGE forrested park along the Wissahickon creek. On the opposite side of Wissahickon Park are Chestnut Hill and West Mt Airy, both of which are very nice areas as well. Not sure what the cost of rental housing is, but i would think that Roxborough would be cheaper than the other two.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,781,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
If safety is you highest priority, you have to choose the burbs. No question.. Take a look at Drexel Hill. Close to work and very nice area
SO according to you it is impossible to live in a safe area in the city? Oh Frank

Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,962,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
SO according to you it is impossible to live in a safe area in the city? Oh Frank
no, I don't mean that. BUT the op wants safety as the highest priority..

ya know.. personal safety is an 'odds' equation.. ie.. pick an area with 10,000 people per square mile vs an area with 1000 people per square mile.. The latter is statistically a 10 times more safer.. People are people.. More of them in an area means a better chance of finding one that wants your stuff more then you do. And to push it futhur, in the middle of no where with maybe 100 people per square mile means its 10 times more safe then the area with 1000 people. Cities are the most dangerous places because there are more people.. Thats all.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,372,037 times
I agree with Ardmore. One of my nieces will be looking to work at Penn, and Aredmore was the first convenient town which came to my mind which has a great deal of character. Tone was also on target with the boro of Media with a good rail line...but the apartment rents may be a bit higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: