Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 05:57 PM

5,158 posts, read 4,657,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
well septa was talking about striking but looks like they wont

SEPTA has received word that TWU Local 234 will not call for a work stoppage on Thursday, April 23. As a result, SEPTA expects to continue to operate on the Lifeline Service Schedule that has been in place since April 9.

SEPTA’s top priority remains the health and safety of our customers and employees. We will continue working closely with our workforce and union leaders to provide the safest possible environment for essential travel during the COVID-19 crisis. Visit SEPTA.org | COVID-19 Information for more info.SEPTA has received word that TWU Local 234 will not call for a work stoppage on Thursday, April 23. As a result, SEPTA expects to continue to operate on the Lifeline Service Schedule that has been in place since April 9.
I wonder if this order will extend beyond 8 May and if this quarantine extends, I wonder if they'll strike afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 06:00 PM

7,020 posts, read 3,793,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I wonder if this order will extend beyond 8 May and if this quarantine extends, I wonder if they'll strike afterwards.
Well I been notified that I will be working from home this week or next so I wont have to worry about it

Old 04-23-2020, 09:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,835,452 times
Quote:
I don't like the sports teams here and I get a lot of junk for it... mostly why I hate living here. And even when I'm in the city, it just doesn't compare to other cities. Other cities seem more built for transit than here.
We heard you before. And, someone else told us you have been bitching about this kind of thing for 10 years.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Not really that. I was born and raised here, I'm sick of it here. What I would like to be is not needed in this city.

Where I would love to be ultimately is Canada. Canada is beautiful, but if not Canada, some other country other than the USA. I really want to leave the USA period.
And you can't do it now. Boo hoo

Old 04-23-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
well septa was talking about striking but looks like they wont

SEPTA has received word that TWU Local 234 will not call for a work stoppage on Thursday, April 23. As a result, SEPTA expects to continue to operate on the Lifeline Service Schedule that has been in place since April 9.

SEPTA’s top priority remains the health and safety of our customers and employees. We will continue working closely with our workforce and union leaders to provide the safest possible environment for essential travel during the COVID-19 crisis. Visit SEPTA.org | COVID-19 Information for more info.SEPTA has received word that TWU Local 234 will not call for a work stoppage on Thursday, April 23. As a result, SEPTA expects to continue to operate on the Lifeline Service Schedule that has been in place since April 9.
No Septa workers(bus drivers or bsl/el operators) I have seen are even wearing masks so they are a bigger danger to us, the riding public, than we are to them.

This is a ploy to make us aware that their contract expires next year.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
It will extend. Some rural PA areas may be able to open somewhat on May 8 but not SEPA.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:57 AM

5,158 posts, read 4,657,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
And you can't do it now. Boo hoo
I couldn't do it now anyway because I'm $13k in debt. I have to pay that off before I can go anywhere. Need a better job to do that and most things in my degree field are in the 'burbs and they all require a driver's license. Why are most jobs in the 'burbs? Is it because it's cheaper to operate in the 'burbs?

I've not been kvetching about this for 10 years. I have only been a member of this site for 6. I joined when I was attempting to move to Detroit in April 2014. Visited and found that being a non-driver in Detroit is even more of a nightmare.

I've always liked to have moved, but it didn't become clear I needed to until I became a victim of a crime 6 years ago. After that, it sealed the deal and I want to go somewhere safe. I don't care for urban all that much, some cities have good transit in the 'burbs. I'd like to continue living in the 'burbs, if the transit and job opportunities are there.

I've thought about becoming a Yinzer, but I have only passed through Pittsburgh and not really sure what their transit is like. Would I like NYC before going to Toronto or elsewhere? Sure, but NYC might not happen and something else might happen instead.

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 04-23-2020 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 11:57 AM

121 posts, read 102,094 times
Man if crime and public transit are important to you then Detroit is definitely not the move. Pittsburgh has a lower crime rate than philly, smaller, slightly more affordable (popular neighborhoods like Lawrenceville have Fishtown like premiums), Transit is good if you are going to and from Downtown, otherwise it is just alright. Has some truly interesting topography if you are into that as well.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:14 PM

14,408 posts, read 9,328,991 times
Quote:
I've thought about becoming a Yinzer, but I have only passed through Pittsburgh and not really sure what their transit is like. Would I like NYC before going to Toronto or elsewhere? Sure, but NYC might not happen and something else might happen instead.
Pittsburgh has a decent bus network plus a LRT network of four (five?) routes that head south from the Golden Triangle, where they operate in a downtown subway.

I don't know what the quality of the service is like now. I know that the Port Authority of Allegheny County implemented three separate Doomsday Service Plans (=severe cuts in frequency, route eliminations or consolidations, stuff like that) in the 1990s when Pennsylvania hadn't figured out how it was going to support the state's mass transit systems.

In terms of comprehensiveness, SEPTA is the top dog in the state. In terms of ridership,

SEPTA : Pennsylvania's 37-odd mass transit agencies :: MTA New York : all the mass transit agencies in the United States

IOW, each agency carries about two of every three mass transit riders in the (state | country).

Financially speaking, the Port Authority is in worse shape than SEPTA because it's now mainly in the business of running a retirement home, figuratively speaking. It has huge pension obligations, larger than SEPTA's, and why this is the case I don't know.

I suspect the situation in Pittsburgh is similar to that here: If you live in the city proper, the mass transit system will take you where you want to go reasonably expeditiously. If you live in the suburbs, it may not go where you want to go when you want to go there or may take its sweet time getting you there.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:39 PM

1,215 posts, read 969,594 times
Quote:
I couldn't do it now anyway because I'm $13k in debt. I have to pay that off before I can go anywhere. Need a better job to do that and most things in my degree field are in the 'burbs and they all require a driver's license. Why are most jobs in the 'burbs? Is it because it's cheaper to operate in the 'burbs?

I've not been kvetching about this for 10 years. I have only been a member of this site for 6. I joined when I was attempting to move to Detroit in April 2014. Visited and found that being a non-driver in Detroit is even more of a nightmare.

I've always liked to have moved, but it didn't become clear I needed to until I became a victim of a crime 6 years ago. After that, it sealed the deal and I want to go somewhere safe. I don't care for urban all that much, some cities have good transit in the 'burbs. I'd like to continue living in the 'burbs, if the transit and job opportunities are there.

Well, honestly then, you have bigger problems than being unhappy with your current living situation. I'm not one to say don't dream, but apparently:
- You have an English degree yet dislike children and have never taught, and are thus apprehensive about teaching in general.
- Have at least two chronic diseases that apparently impact you substantially.
- Are 13k in debt and, what I read from your posts, probably have minimal to no savings.
- Refer to yourself as a writer, but honestly, after reading your posts...
- Desire to move to some of the some expensive ex-US cities in the world.

I don't mean to be harsh, but you may want to hunker down in as cheap a rental as you find, possibly file for bankruptcy to absolve debt, save some money, and reconsider your plans in five to seven years. Truthfully, your current dreams are unattainable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia