Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 01:32 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,886,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I don't like the sports teams here and I get a lot of junk for it... mostly why I hate living here. And even when I'm in the city, it just doesn't compare to other cities. Other cities seem more built for transit than here.
Your main reason for not liking to live here is due to the sports teams? It always surprises me how seriously people take sports. I played 25 years of ice hockey, but I never worshiped a single team. I mean, players are bought from all over the country/world and wear matching shirts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 05:00 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,630,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Your main reason for not liking to live here is due to the sports teams? It always surprises me how seriously people take sports. I played 25 years of ice hockey, but I never worshiped a single team. I mean, players are bought from all over the country/world and wear matching shirts...
Not really that. I was born and raised here, I'm sick of it here. What I would like to be is not needed in this city.

Where I would love to be ultimately is Canada. Canada is beautiful, but if not Canada, some other country other than the USA. I really want to leave the USA period.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Not really that. I was born and raised here, I'm sick of it here. What I would like to be is not needed in this city.

Where I would love to be ultimately is Canada. Canada is beautiful, but if not Canada, some other country other than the USA. I really want to leave the USA period.
I think Canada is a better country in many ways (lower crime, better primary schools, more affordable higher education, less ethnocentrism). But I am partial to Quebec. On two separate occasions, I started the federally skilled worker immigration process. However, it would have required me to go into any province other than Quebec, where I would have to spend some time, before I could eventually move to Montreal (our first choice). That was too much moving and difficulty for where I am in life now. Unfortunately, Toronto and Ontario in general is a bit too American in culture for me. And Canada is not perfect. Housing is insanely expensive, and the universal healthcare has great coverage but wait times for doctors can be a real issue.

Philly is far from perfect, but it does offer some things that Toronto and other cities cannot. Walkability in Philly is better than almost anywhere in Canada, except Montreal. Being able to afford to buy a home is a big benefit. Public transportation is good in Philly if you live in the city and even some burbs. However, if you live out in Blue Bell or KOP, it's going to suck. Have you ever lived in the city in Philly?

Old 04-22-2020, 06:35 AM

1,213 posts, read 958,934 times
Quote:

Well, then get to steppin'. Based on your handle, I assume you're 30 years old? That is FAR too old to be living in constant misery. Assuming you are single (based on your posts), there is no reason at all that you should still be in Philadelphia shortly after the coronavirus is in check. Best of luck on your move.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I think Canada is a better country in many ways (lower crime, better primary schools, more affordable higher education, less ethnocentrism). But I am partial to Quebec. On two separate occasions, I started the federally skilled worker immigration process. However, it would have required me to go into any province other than Quebec, where I would have to spend some time, before I could eventually move to Montreal (our first choice). That was too much moving and difficulty for where I am in life now. Unfortunately, Toronto and Ontario in general is a bit too American in culture for me. And Canada is not perfect. Housing is insanely expensive, and the universal healthcare has great coverage but wait times for doctors can be a real issue.

Philly is far from perfect, but it does offer some things that Toronto and other cities cannot. Walkability in Philly is better than almost anywhere in Canada, except Montreal. Being able to afford to buy a home is a big benefit. Public transportation is good in Philly if you live in the city and even some burbs. However, if you live out in Blue Bell or KOP, it's going to suck. Have you ever lived in the city in Philly?
Nope and have no desire to live in Philadelphia. I would live in NYC before Philadelphia, which I'm thinking about. I want to be a writer and librarian, there are more opportunities in NYC for that, then maybe I can make a transition to Toronto or even Europe. I have family in Ireland and while I wouldn't want to live in Ireland permanently, maybe I could look into that as a step in the EU. Germany was gorgeous too and their transit system was amazing.

I'm not sure about Germany's health care, and I have a feeling it is expensive to live in Germany. I feel like any city, regardless of where it is, is expensive. It seems like the 'burbs are cheaper.

I have an English degree and people scream, "you can teach English!" The only places I could teach English without teaching experience or a certificate is in Asia; with my Celiac disease and hypothyroidism... NO! I'm also kosher and that wouldn't be a match either. I also don't like children, never taught English either. I've taught tech to adults and that was much easier. It's just finding my niche and finding a job that will allow me to move to at least NYC for a year or two.

Old 04-22-2020, 01:29 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,190,803 times
Quote:
Nope and have no desire to live in Philadelphia.
I sympathize to a degree as I once chose a home in another city without fully vetting the transit options. That was definitely a life lesson.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that you may have proceeded in a similar way, perhaps prioritizing convenience to your job.

You do seem to be caught in a Catch-22 in that to enjoy easier transit access and other benefits to urban living, including more convenient kosher options, would require you to live in a city that you apparently have distaste for.

Hopefully your degree can help you find an upwardly mobile career in those other more expensive cities and countries.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Nope and have no desire to live in Philadelphia. I would live in NYC before Philadelphia, which I'm thinking about. I want to be a writer and librarian, there are more opportunities in NYC for that, then maybe I can make a transition to Toronto or even Europe. I have family in Ireland and while I wouldn't want to live in Ireland permanently, maybe I could look into that as a step in the EU. Germany was gorgeous too and their transit system was amazing.

I'm not sure about Germany's health care, and I have a feeling it is expensive to live in Germany. I feel like any city, regardless of where it is, is expensive. It seems like the 'burbs are cheaper.

I have an English degree and people scream, "you can teach English!" The only places I could teach English without teaching experience or a certificate is in Asia; with my Celiac disease and hypothyroidism... NO! I'm also kosher and that wouldn't be a match either. I also don't like children, never taught English either. I've taught tech to adults and that was much easier. It's just finding my niche and finding a job that will allow me to move to at least NYC for a year or two.
I've been there. One thing many people learn when they move away is that there were many things that home offered that they took for granted. I'm surprised you never lived in Philly your whole life. You seem to look for transit and urban life and then live in the burbs where it's weak. That would be like me craving beach life, living 5 miles from the shore, and then hating where I live and looking for another place with beaches with no consideration for the beaches in my current city. Hey, you must have your reasons and yours are as good as mine.

While any city may be expensive, some are much more expensive than others. NYC, Toronto and many European places fit that bill. Although I always thought that if I was going to be something like a writer, I'd rather be on the Mediterranean than someplace like NYC.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:49 PM

14,244 posts, read 9,132,787 times
Quote:
I've been there. One thing many people learn when they move away is that there were many things that home offered that they took for granted. I'm surprised you never lived in Philly your whole life. You seem to look for transit and urban life and then live in the burbs where it's weak. That would be like me craving beach life, living 5 miles from the shore, and then hating where I live and looking for another place with beaches with no consideration for the beaches in my current city. Hey, you must have your reasons and yours are as good as mine.
I've corresponded briefly with jessxwrites89 and gotten a feel for her work and her writing style; these posts better flesh out her interests and desires.

But your response here brings to mind nothing less than the speech a Baptist minister here named Russell Conwell used to build Philadelphia's great "university for Everyman," Temple University:

Acres of Diamonds | Temple University

The tl;dr version: A wealthy and contented man, having been told of the wonders of diamonds, becomes despondent and leaves his farm to travel the world in search of them. He dies not only despondent but broke, having exhausted himself and his fortune seeking diamonds to no avail.

Meanwhile, back on the farm he left, his successor finds an unusually brilliant and iridescent stone digging around the back acreage one day. It turns out that he had stumbled across — yup, you guessed it — a diamond, and there were plenty more where that one came from.

Conwell goes on to embellish the story with examples drawn from real life (some of which I suspect are apocryphal), including the story of a farmer who decamped from his Pennsylvania farm to go to Canada to work in the coal oil trade. The man who bought the farm discovered that he had been holding back a river of crude oil that lay in deposits under the farm; Conwell explains that this was the beginning of the nation's first oil boom, here in Pennsylvania, and that the city of Titusville — Pennsylvania's first oil boomtown — sits on the site of the farm.

I think you can figure out the actual moral of this story from here.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:

While any city may be expensive, some are much more expensive than others. NYC, Toronto and many European places fit that bill. Although I always thought that if I was going to be something like a writer, I'd rather be on the Mediterranean than someplace like NYC.
A lot of it is, I just want to live somewhere else other than Pennsylvania. I have thyroid issues and that's why I try to find the coldest spots on Earth. I'm always hot and can't do heat and sun. Now if I had to, I would just stay in, but I would like some place that is cold in the winter and about mid 70s to low 80s without humidity in the summer.

I still live with my folks. I don't make a lot of money at my current full-time job and I'm paying off debt. I'm looking for a new job around here, but I'm thinking maybe I should expand. I'm not really sure what I want, so I might look local, pay off debt, then once I am debt free, then look at my what's next.

MarketStEl, I'm sorry if I kvetch too much.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:41 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,761,007 times
well septa was talking about striking but looks like they wont

SEPTA has received word that TWU Local 234 will not call for a work stoppage on Thursday, April 23. As a result, SEPTA expects to continue to operate on the Lifeline Service Schedule that has been in place since April 9.

SEPTA’s top priority remains the health and safety of our customers and employees. We will continue working closely with our workforce and union leaders to provide the safest possible environment for essential travel during the COVID-19 crisis. Visit SEPTA.org | COVID-19 Information for more info.SEPTA has received word that TWU Local 234 will not call for a work stoppage on Thursday, April 23. As a result, SEPTA expects to continue to operate on the Lifeline Service Schedule that has been in place since April 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia