Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:16 PM

34 posts, read 271,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Or live in center city like I do and walk to work.
Would love to do that.. but having kids makes it near impossible.. unless we cough up all our hard earned money for private schools.. and that ain't gonna happen...but I love city living and walking to work/eat/hang out. I'm from NYC so that was how I thought all cities worked.. boy was I wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 AM

48 posts, read 178,883 times
After growing up in Philly area (Harleysville) and subsequently moving to Boston for 6 years for college, I was extremely impressed by Boston's subway and regional rail systems, which are both much more extensive than SEPTA. Not sure why this is, perhaps simply because that infrastructure has been in place much longer than in Philly. Regional rail always has the problem that once you expand that system, people further and further out can commute to the city, thus expanding the metro area and placing more demand on the infrastructure. I think a much better solution for Philly would be improving the subway system to the close-in suburbs, possibly with light-rail (since true subway is costly)

Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,184,562 times
I'll admit that Boston's commuter rail is more affordable than SEPTA's Regional Rail (or at least it was when I was up there ten years ago or so).

But IMO I think that close-in suburbs are served pretty well already, even with light rail (especially the 101 and 102 trolleys in Delaware County). That said, there could be smoother access to the office parks in Plymouth Meeting, Blue Bell and the Bensalem/Franklin Mills areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmasteed View Post
After growing up in Philly area (Harleysville) and subsequently moving to Boston for 6 years for college, I was extremely impressed by Boston's subway and regional rail systems, which are both much more extensive than SEPTA. Not sure why this is, perhaps simply because that infrastructure has been in place much longer than in Philly. Regional rail always has the problem that once you expand that system, people further and further out can commute to the city, thus expanding the metro area and placing more demand on the infrastructure. I think a much better solution for Philly would be improving the subway system to the close-in suburbs, possibly with light-rail (since true subway is costly)

Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,787,578 times
No one has mentioned those "roving Pendot crews" On any sunny day any freeway in any direction can suddenly come to a stop as a road crew picking up trash or cleaning gutters forces all traffic down to one lane. This infuriating situation is a very common occurance and inspite of it the roads all look like crap anyway. These are the same folks who designed all those disfunctional highways with their built in bottlenecks in the first place. I hate Penndot!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:40 PM

392 posts, read 1,540,065 times
don't forget two other factors.... any Jersey road is nasty on friday's and sundays during the summer (beach traffic). also, the school bus factor plays a part in traffic during AM commutes. sometimes leaving 5 minutes earlier or later to avoid being on the same road as the local schools buses makes a difference

Old 07-05-2008, 08:21 PM

34 posts, read 271,560 times
Default Travel Times

Just an update....we are on the Mainline...in Wynnewood. My wife drives in on the Schuykill every morning between 6-6:30am..she works down at the Naval Shipyard, so the train might be an option, but right now her schedule is crazy. Well, early commute, she has no traffic... Coming home she says that if she stays late.. the traffic isn't bad at all ( after 6ish pm). There are always one offs, but in general it seems most people work the 9-5 and this is obviously the worst time to get in and out of the city. If you have flex scheduling you can avoid some of the traffic hassle.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 39,384 times
Rush hour starts at 3:30 dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
So - the "cliff notes" version is - don't go anywhere between 7 and 9am, and between 4:30 and 6pm?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 13,322 times
Default reverse commute

How would the reverse commute from downtown Philadelphia to Doylestown be? MapQuest suggests 95 N to W Street Rd. Direct route would be 611. Are we talking a hour each way every day? Ugh...

Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,723,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new to PA View Post
How would the reverse commute from downtown Philadelphia to Doylestown be? MapQuest suggests 95 N to W Street Rd. Direct route would be 611. Are we talking a hour each way every day? Ugh...
Pretty much, yes, an hour each way. I don't know about downtown, but from North Philly on up, 611 going north is pretty empty. Depends on your actual location, but another option would be to take the Expressway up to Broad Street, instead of just Broad all the way up. Also, my aunt who lives in Warrington/Doylestown and works at the VA Hospital used to take 309 all the way down to Stenton Avenue, then cut over to Broad instead of 611 all the way down. From there you're not far from the Expressway, or just keep going down Broad until you're home. Reverse for the morning. Traffic volume should be about the same, but there's fewer lights.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:13 AM

183 posts, read 632,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new to PA View Post
The 95 to Street Rd directions are bogus, because 95 drops you way east of Rt 611.
Rt 611 has gotten increasingly busy at all times of day, and it is a very slow go in general because of all the lights...but if you are traveling to Doylestown from the south, you are going to become very familiar with 611.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia