Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 PM

10 posts, read 28,721 times

Advertisements

My (gay) partner and I will be relocating from California next year, and are considering the Philadelphia area as a possible place to live. We will be passing through the area in late May and will be able to stop in Philly for about a day to gather some initial impressions. We realize that this isn't nearly enough time to get a real understanding of a new place, but it will help us to narrow our choices.

We are hoping to get help with two questions:

1. We are hoping to experience the true spirit of the city. Are there any “can't miss” places in Philadelphia we should put on our itinerary?

2. We'll also be scouting out possible places to live if we do move there. Our dream neighborhood is safe, has leafy streets with charming/nicer older homes, and tolerant, friendly neighbors. We would be grateful for any suggestions you'd care to share.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,

Stu from California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:27 PM

7,328 posts, read 10,712,363 times
Greetings, Stu!

Philly is a city with tons to see, but you'd want to make sure you stop by Independence Mall for the history lesson. The Art Museum, City Hall, Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square, South Street, and Center City in general is just awesome to walk around in to get that big city feel. Here's a website to give you a better idea:

Welcome to gophila.com -- the Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia

As for a neighborhood in which you're looking to settle, there are areas in both Philadelphia proper and the suburbs that match what you're looking for. You've described the Main Line -- a string of older, inner suburbs -- to a "T." However, real estate is on the pricier side -- can't be too much compared to CA real estate, though. Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,617,367 times
West Mt. Airy would also be a perfect place to live. If you want to live right in the city, consider Washington Square West a/k/a The Gayborhood.

Mount Airy, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Washington Square West, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 AM

691 posts, read 3,074,179 times
Also consider Collingswood on the NJ side of the river. It is a small town with nice older homes with lots of cafes and shops. It is very gay-friendly and has a train station right there with only a 15min ride to downtown Philly.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 AM

6,962 posts, read 20,617,428 times
welcome! i'd agree with all the places mentioned. for the real historic vibe though, washington, square, society hill & old city would be your best bet. they all surround that damn liberty bell

my 'hood queen village is also a nice little section. south street is our main thoroughfare. the rents/home prices are a little cheaper. although, not by much anymore. i'm sure its all relative though...when i moved down from ny, these prices were to die for!

Last edited by john_starks; 04-25-2008 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,756,869 times
I'd agree with W. Mt Airy. My aunt lives there in one of the "honeymoon" houses (little stone duplexes and rowhouses with 2 or 3 bedrooms, porch, dining room, kitchen, living room, basement, etc.). Most were built around WWII to be, well, homes for newlyweds. It's a nice, quiet neighborhood with a nice (very open) community, lots of trees, and is close to Chestnut Hill (historic area, soldiers for the Battle of Germantown walked down the main street) and Lincoln Drive (short trip to Center City). Her block has several gay couples, is fairly diverse, and are pretty sociable (will have block parties, etc).

Old 05-01-2008, 02:32 PM

20 posts, read 58,075 times
Hey,

You should visit Penns Landing - lots of historic sites and fun things to do in the summer. You have to visit Old City.

Areas to live: Germantown (the nicer hoods, call some realtors - that would know) East Falls, King of Prussia (expensive, but nice). maybe live in downtown philly (expensive, but you'll be close to everything -- food, arts, music, fun, shopping,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia