Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 06:57 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,861,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
What's your housing budget? I think your best bet would be southern chester county but they lack public transit. You will have to prioritize between
- acreage
- good schools
- reasonable commute

You can't have them all. I suspect you'll have to give up acreage or spend a lot of $$$$ to make all the 3 possible.
Yes, definitely more....property/school taxes which are going to be a LOT more than what they paid in AL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 06:54 AM

712 posts, read 708,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieb226 View Post
Thank you for the feedback. His job is at the Army Corp of Engineers which I believe is near City Hall, but either way it seems like it's in the same general area. It's good to know that it would be one straight ride from Downington.
You are correct on this. The Corps office is across the street from City Hall.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:17 AM

10,667 posts, read 12,303,649 times
Quote:
and unlike some of the Main Line suburbs, it doesn't have a "wrong side of the tracks" less-expensive district.
And where on the Main Line would that be, pray tell?

Old 08-29-2019, 09:00 AM

744 posts, read 786,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Ardmore would certainly fit the bill.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:24 AM

14,470 posts, read 9,420,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Ardmore would certainly fit the bill.
Bryn Mawr ditto.

Even Radnor Township has a working-class district, Garrett Hill. (Though I don't know whether you can still find moderately priced houses there the way you can in either Ardmore or Bryn Mawr south of Lancaster Avenue.)

Old 08-29-2019, 04:16 PM

10,667 posts, read 12,303,649 times
Perhaps we have different thoughts about what the other side of the tracks brings to mind.
MY first thought of "the other side of the tracks" brings to mind places like the Badlands in Philly -- heck or even Darby or Sharon Hill. And IMO no part of Ardmore nor Bryn Mawr would I consider "the other side of the tracks."

But perhaps what you meant here is one area is just not as exclusive as the other......but to me all of Ardmore or Bryn Mawr is fairly exclusive....compared to non Main Line areas. So "other side of the tracks is not how I personally would refer to any part of those two areas.

Not arguing. Just explaining myself.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Where black people still kinda are, although that has changed over the last 15- 20 years. The black Boomer generation ,who grew up on the Main Line like I did, started leaving once many went to college in the late 60s/70s. That started the AA out-migration. The street I grew up on, in Haverford, is almost all white now. It was all black when I was a kid.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Bryn Mawr ditto.

Even Radnor Township has a working-class district, Garrett Hill. (Though I don't know whether you can still find moderately priced houses there the way you can in either Ardmore or Bryn Mawr south of Lancaster Avenue.)
Bryn Mawr still has small section of row houses. They're east of the intersection of Haverford Rd and Bryn Mawr Ave.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Perhaps we have different thoughts about what the other side of the tracks brings to mind.
MY first thought of "the other side of the tracks" brings to mind places like the Badlands in Philly -- heck or even Darby or Sharon Hill. And IMO no part of Ardmore nor Bryn Mawr would I consider "the other side of the tracks."

But perhaps what you meant here is one area is just not as exclusive as the other......but to me all of Ardmore or Bryn Mawr is fairly exclusive....compared to non Main Line areas. So "other side of the tracks is not how I personally would refer to any part of those two areas.

Not arguing. Just explaining myself.
There were very specific working class parts of the Main Line along with street name changes that were " borders". One funny one to me is crossing Lancaster Ave in Bryn Mawr, northbound, where there's an Acme on one corner( there has been an Acme there for over 60 years). The south of Lancaster Ave the cross street is Penn St. The north side of Lancaster Ave. the same exact street becomes Pennswood Rd, lol. "Pennswood" sounds more elitist.

The working class areas were all south of Lancaster Ave. When I was a kid the ethnicities were Italians, Irish and AA. Many of these people were in service jobs for rich people.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:54 AM

273 posts, read 209,540 times
Quote:
but to me all of Ardmore or Bryn Mawr is fairly exclusive....compared to non Main Line areas. So "other side of the tracks is not how I personally would refer to any part of those two areas.

An exclusive street in elitist Ardmore: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0043...7i16384!8i8192

How do these Ardmore-ites live in such poshness? https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0005...7i16384!8i8192
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia